Real men watch sports?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Last edited by odbo on October 11th, 2011, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

Post by ErikHeaven »

This is why most of us are overweight in America we watch others exercise!
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

Post by ErikHeaven »

Ha Odbo scored another home run! Great pics.
navigator
Freshman Poster

Post by navigator »

I might watch an occasional game or two, but I no longer follow sports like I did growing up. Following sports religiously, like so many Americans do, is a colossal waste of time. There are so many better things I could be doing with my time: learning another language, reading, getting some fresh air outside, engaging in hobbies, exercising, meditating, learning a useful skill, researching stocks, planning my next trip.... Even jerking off is a better use of one's time.

I am on a completely different wavelength as those who want to discuss sports 24/7. No, I didn't watch the game. No, I won't be watching next week's game. And the only prediction I have for this year's Super Bowl is that the corporate advertisers will win decisively. Like always. It's all meaningless to me. Growing up, I watched sports more often. Probably because I played several sports and enjoyed watching the best athletes in each sport compete against each other. I looked up to them and modeled my game after theirs. Since college, I've stopped following sports altogether and have used my limited free time more productively. There is nothing more pathetic than watching grown men argue about other grown men playing children's games. Some of these die-hard sports fans really need to step back and realize how ridiculous they look.

^^^^ actually, that last one isn't so bad if I must say.
OTB
Freshman Poster

Post by OTB »

@navigator
I might watch an occasional game or two, but I no longer follow sports like I did growing up. Following sports religiously, like so many Americans do, is a colossal waste of time. There are so many better things I could be doing with my time: learning another language, reading, getting some fresh air outside, engaging in hobbies, exercising, meditating, learning a useful skill, researching stocks, planning my next trip.... Even jerking off is a better use of one's time.
Exactly! That's what I'm about. Using my time for personal growth and engaging in my hobbies. That's time well spent and you actually gain something from those activities.
navigator
Freshman Poster

Post by navigator »

OTB wrote:@navigator
Exactly! That's what I'm about. Using my time for personal growth and engaging in my hobbies. That's time well spent and you actually gain something from those activities.
Yeah, I feel sorry for people who have to live vicariously through other people's successes on the field. Bragging about how OTHER people played is the height of stupidity. Sports fans have zero bragging rights, even if the team they follow is #1. They didn't score any touchdowns. They didn't hit any home runs. They didn't score any goals. They didn't do jack shit except for sit in front of a television all day, stuffing their faces with pizza and drinking estrogenic beer. Some accomplishment.
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

I watch EVO fighting game tournaments. Does that count as a sport? XD

Personally, I think watching something religiously like basketball and paintin' yourself and all that is retarded. Nothing wrong about concentrating on other important things, but if you can't get EXCITED and f***ing HYPE about something, you just don't have any vigor! Men are supposed to have energy, bouncin around and shit.
jcris7
Freshman Poster

Post by jcris7 »

Exhibit D of American sport spectator douchedom at its finest. Fast forward to 7:30 when the band starts playing Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk". Watch the guys in front of the camera. Typical obnoxious fuckheads. I couldn't stand jerkoffs like this when I used to play in the band.

And...4:56 to 6:48...Katy Perry!?!?! WTF? Are you kidding me? We never played any of this gay ass shit back then. We did Rock and all of the other big powerhouse bands/groups...in other words, REAL music. Earth Wind Fire, Chicago, System of A Down, etc. Just shows how much the musical tastes of my generation and younger have deteriorated. What's next? Justin Bieber?
Last edited by jcris7 on October 20th, 2011, 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Women age like milk; Men age like wine." - Tom Leykis
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Real men play sports, not watch.

Same applies to all aspects of life for the most part in my opinion.

here is a quote

"To live is the rarest thing of all, most people simply exist"
OTB
Freshman Poster

Post by OTB »

@Magnum
here is a quote
"To live is the rarest thing of all, most people simply exist"
I like that Magnum. That's absolutely true.
Camp38
Freshman Poster

Post by Camp38 »

Sports in America is basically panem et circenses. "Bread and Circuses" is a metaphor for a superficial means of appeasement....a distraction much like tabloid media compared to real political/economic analysis. I am in total agreement..I would rather DO SPORTS..then merely being a spectator. Hence, I still retain my boxing trainers license and actively train 4-5 times weekly. I remember reading in Chomsky's Media Control & Propaganda...he classified people in two groups, especially in westernized society of status, money and the illusion of freedom. You had the elite class whose role was to be involved in the political arena of power...the prime movers and decision makers...then you had all the others that composed society....they were to be marginalized and polarized, distracted and enslaved by petty wants...however, it was imperative they remain as spectators of the political arena...Sports and mass entertainment simply reinforced that principle because if you ever talk to the average male obsessed sports nut about anything outside that realm...he/she is usually lost and clueless outside TV driven rhetoric and cliches. I'm glad I took a sledgehammer to my TV many moons ago...

[/youtube]
navigator
Freshman Poster

Post by navigator »

One of my new year's resolutions for 2012 is to stop watching sports altogether. I'm not going to waste time watching it on TV (not even for the Super Bowl). The only time I'll watch sports anymore is when someone hooks me up with free tickets. But that only happens a few times per year, on average. I won't pay for tickets anymore.