Census shows 1 in 2 Americans is poor or low-income

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
steve55
Junior Poster

Census shows 1 in 2 Americans is poor or low-income

Post by steve55 »

Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

America has been dumbed down by our failing education system and our sycophant press. The majority no longer cares, understands, or even understands that they should care. In many ways it's our own fault for letting the madmen take over the asylum. Perhaps America must go through its day of harrowing and reckoning, before it wakes up. I pity the day.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

This is just the beginning in my opinion. I've been talking about the middle class squeeze for years. The developing world model for the wealthy elite is to create an easily controllable and manipulable underclass while they are busy looting the place.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Not according to an average Filipino, though. To him/her an American is a demigod endowed with an uncanny gift of oozing money and getting it from the air. Everyone has one million in the bank, one million dollar salary and a mythical source of money that no one can figure out. I wish America were as rich as what those Filipinos think it is. I would go and live there in a jiff.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Maker55
Junior Poster

Post by Maker55 »

ladislav wrote:Not according to an average Filipino, though. To him/her an American is a demigod endowed with an uncanny gift of oozing money and getting it from the air. Everyone has one million in the bank, one million dollar salary and a mythical source of money that no one can figure out. I wish America were as rich as what those Filipinos think it is. I would go and live there in a jiff.
lmao
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

And it's no wonder! Millions of Americans happily give away millions of dollars every year to political interests. When give away all that money like a moron, you go poor.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

C.J. wrote:And it's no wonder! Millions of Americans happily give away millions of dollars every year to political interests. When give away all that money like a moron, you go poor.
If you're talking about 'donations' to congressmen and the like, its done by the wealthy. And it's usually one of the most profitable investments anyone can make. If you're on the inside of this racket, you can quickly get back multiples of what you 'give away'.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 12th, 2018, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
sheineC
Freshman Poster

Post by sheineC »

Recently published information from the United States Census reveals just how well the average of the country lives. Almost half of Americans are officially now classified as low income. Child care and housing are said to take a lot of income. (See: https://personalmoneynetwork.com/cash-advance/)
navigator
Freshman Poster

Post by navigator »

C.J. wrote:And it's no wonder! Millions of Americans happily give away millions of dollars every year to political interests. When give away all that money like a moron, you go poor.
Really? You honestly think that people donating to political interests is what's making them go poor? I'm sorry, but that is such an illogical position. The working poor don't have "millions" of dollars to give away to political interests. The average poor person probably doesn't even donate $100 a year. They are too busy trying to scrape by, on meager incomes that aren't keeping pace with rising costs.

You want to know why so many people are struggling in this country? One of the main reasons is people like YOU, who point the finger at the wrong people. Posting red herrings like "the poor have only themselves to blame because they're making large political contributions every year" is not only false, but also plays right into the hands of the criminals who are running this country into the ground. They love blame-deflectors like you.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

navigator wrote:
Really? You honestly think that people donating to political interests is what's making them go poor? I'm sorry, but that is such an illogical position. The working poor don't have "millions" of dollars to give away to political interests. The average poor person probably doesn't even donate $100 a year. They are too busy trying to scrape by, on meager incomes that aren't keeping pace with rising costs.

You want to know why so many people are struggling in this country? One of the main reasons is people like YOU, who point the finger at the wrong people. Posting red herrings like "the poor have only themselves to blame because they're making large political contributions every year" is not only false, but also plays right into the hands of the criminals who are running this country into the ground. They love blame-deflectors like you.
Bravo!

Next they'll be saying what's in the food and the water makes them do it.

I survive on about $500 a month. $200 of it being EBT. There are no jobs and the companies looking to hire are discriminating against the long term unemployed in America.

We have reached the era of Peak Oil and next 5-10-20 years will be about which Governments will react best to the new reality of $200+ a barrel oil. I wouldn't count on the Canadians, they just opted out of the Kyoto Protocol - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_and ... o_Protocol wanting to make maximum profit from the Tar Sands Oil, which is extremely energy intensive. Mean while Germany is and large oil producer Norway (North Sea Oil) are continuing to put millions of dollars in alternatives - https://www.enertrag.com/en/project-dev ... plant.html and are looking to scale up experimental plants like these.

http://www.chrismartenson.com/ - You can download and watch the whole thing which is about 3 hours and 20 mins long, ISO's are in Divx or DVD format.

There are 38,000 IT openings in Germany, including several that don't require German or Advanced Degrees ie: Entry Level

However there is plenty of information out there, but energy use for Transportation pales against how much oil is used for products and services we take for granted every day and we hardly use oil to power/heat homes. I know much of the Northeast in the US still uses oil for heating purposes. I can see a scenario were many poor Americans end up suffering and dying due to hypothermia and carbon-monoxide poisoning (starting fires, using generators indoors) because of Government cut backs on subsidies on heating oil and the price of oil skyrocketing.

I agree this is just the start of things to come and the slower the Government reacts, the more powerful the counter action is going to be Occupy Wall St./Together is the TIP of the iceberg.
Last edited by djfourmoney on December 19th, 2011, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 0679.story

"Three years ago, landlord John Callaghan was granted city permits to enlarge a South Los Angeles single family home, creating three apartments.
But he didn't stop there. He crammed as many as 44 rental rooms into a warren of narrow hallways, tiny, shared bathrooms and communal kitchens.
Now, as the holidays approach, dozens of renters who paid as much as $500 per unit are being ordered to vacate the burnt orange three-story complex, in a neighborhood about a mile from the Coliseum."
Grunt
Junior Poster

Post by Grunt »

Wow, 44 rooms crammed into one house going for $500 a month. Depressing.
How to deal with newbies that talk much but do little.

Pics or it didn't happen.

YES/NO

Cool story, bro.

Problem solved.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Grunt wrote:Wow, 44 rooms crammed into one house going for $500 a month. Depressing.
The folks over at Slab City pays zero rent:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 9146.story

"Reporting from Slab City, Calif.—
Penny Puckett came to Slab City and fell in love.
After four years of "bumming around and hopping freight trains," the 25-year-old from Kansas City arrived at this hardscrabble section of the Imperial Valley desert and immediately embraced its sense of liberation from society's rules and norms.
What others might view as desolation and deprivation, Puckett saw as a way to reduce life to its essence: water, food and shelter (plus Internet and cellular phone service)."

But yeah, 44 rooms is ridiculous, even by slum lord standards.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

That video was interesting, thanks for posting.

I am sort of a techie and I realize a majority of people in Slab City are over 50-60 years of age.

I see a few low tech and high tech solutions that I would employ in such an environment. Using RV's (especially older ones) as housing by the poor and retired/pensioners is increasing, not decreasing. Why spend you're days coup'ed up in a 1500 sq foot home somewhere where you have to beg your children to visit you?

But as I said, this is just the start of a downward trend that will pick up in speed as the normalcy bias continues and the mainstream media do such a poor job of informing the public not wanting to risk offending advertisers. This why channels like R/T can talk about the coming chances with various people cause their paychecks are secure no matter what they report.

Worrying about what's in the water (use a Charcoal Filter or Reverse Osmosis Filter) or what's in your food (Raw Food Movement) is the least of your concerns IMHO.