Getting out of the military

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
GuitarGuy996
Freshman Poster

Getting out of the military

Post by GuitarGuy996 »

I was going to take a trip to Mexico based on some the positive threads I've read here. I figure it's a great way to start my overseas adventures (aside from the trip a took to India few months ago).

However, I just found out the Air Force has some huge travel restrictions to Mexico due to anti terrorism.

I've been thinking of getting out (as one of my many life options at this point).

If you do a google search "how to get out of the reserves" most of the hits are from yahoo answers.

You have to weed through about 10 replies from super zealous military/pro military about how your a "coward" and a "p***y" for wanting to get out before you get to one reasonable response about the options that you have.

I understand this is a hot button issue for some. Please understand that I'm not anti-american. I'm just exploring my options.

All this talk of Iran in the media has me thinking they're going to be deploying us soon.

Can I get some feedback?
AmericanInMexico
Freshman Poster

Post by AmericanInMexico »

GuitarGuy, I am former military myself (5 years active duty in the Marine Corps). There are plenty of ways I know of to get out if you don't want to complete your service; however, I recommend against it since it is a long process. The best thing to do is do what I did: go to Mexico and just don't tell anyone in your command. I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in California and I would go to Mexico at least once a month if not more; I never told anyone in my command and never got caught.
GuitarGuy996
Freshman Poster

Post by GuitarGuy996 »

This is actually exactly what I planned. I didn't think there was any way they could trace you. Is there a no-fly-list in situation like that? I am honestly very doubtful.

AmericanInMexico, I was thinking about checking out Cabo. I know it's a touristy spot but how is it in terms of foreign women? I'm also desperate to get out of this winter weather for awhile :P
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Yeah, I think war with Iran is pretty imminent soon. It's going to be a giant clusterf**k when it does finally happen though. As for ditching military service, I can understand why you feel this way. I thank the Lord I was in the service during a period of relative peacetime and got out just in time--a year after 9/11. I've seen various Internet news stories of soldiers abandoning their posts to seek asylum or refuge in other countries. I don't have a problem with soldiers that do that tbh. After seeing the sad state of affairs for returning soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan, I can understand why you feel this way Guitarguy.

If you do take off to Mexico though, doesn't that mean you can never re-enter the U.S. again without going to prison? If so, that would suck. I know the U.S. government can be really harsh on military desertions. Would you be willing to take a risk to do so?
GuitarGuy996
Freshman Poster

Post by GuitarGuy996 »

That's a good question zboy1.

I'm in the reserves. It's generally understood that if you REALLY want out you can just stop going to drill. They'll eventually give you an administrative discharge. The military is not looking for new people right now, they are cutting.

I mentioned to a friend about taking a short trip to mexico and he referred me to the AF July 2011 Mexico update. It's generally off limits unless you get a O-6 (full bird colonel) approval. I think it's utterly ridiculous. I still don't see how they could trace it.