HA forum members: Where are you currently living?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Everdred
Freshman Poster

Post by Everdred »

I'm glad this thread has gone as far as it has, but I hope it can go even further. I hope the following Happier Abroad forum members can chime in at some point or another:

1. Winston
2. Rock
3. publicduende
4. eurobrat
5. davewe
6. Falcon
7. Twobrains
8. Dark_Sol
9. Jester
10. ethan_sg
11. abcdavid01
12. ILoveBlackAmericanWomen
13. Raja
14. Mr S
15. Truthville
16. Maker55
17. Teal Lantern
18. AmericanInMexico
19. magnum
20. zboy1
21. jboy
22. ErikHeaven
23. Taco
24. Jackal
25. Headbanger
26. terminator
27. CheezeRaider
28. mguy
29. gsjackson
30. have2fly
31. momopi
32. S_Parc
33. C.J.
34. Robert77
35. OutWest
36. NorthAmericanguy
37. ladislav
38. Ghost
39. Cornfed
40. The_Hero_of_Men
41. RobinHood
42. lone_yakuza
43. Tsar
44. jamesbond
45. steve55
46. marklambo
47. zacb
48. WiseTruth
49. Voice of Reason
50. obdo

Some of you have probably mentioned in other threads where you're currently living, but it would nice to have all of that information organized under one thread, rather than scattered all over hundreds of different threads. Also don't forget to mention where you've lived in the past, and where you hope to live in the future. The more details you can give, the better. Thanks everybody.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

For me, I live in eastern Massachusetts, the greater Boston area. I've been here, along with other eastern cities, for much of my life, aside from my overseas adventures [ Brazil, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Korea, Japan, etc ] during my mid-20s till early 30s.

My dream for a better home ... we legalize esc@rting and then, I can move to Provincetown MA, a 1.5 hr ferry ride from downtown Boston, and have 360 degree vistas of the Atlantic ocean, while having female companions to b@ink.

Right now, P-town is a gay enclave and thus, as a single straight guy, I can't either live or be seen there, without a woman around, or I'll be tagged. Yes, if you're a half-way decent looking guy, there's no way to avoid having men hit on you in P-town MA w/o a girlfriend. The town is split into heterosexual touristic couples and gay men, either tourists or residents.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
RobinHood
Freshman Poster

Post by RobinHood »

I live near Nottingham, England. My girlfriend is from Bulgaria and is moving here this Saturday.

In the past I have lived in Lawrence, Kansas as I spent a year at KU.

I plan on staying in England for now, as I think it's a good place to live (not because of the women!)

For the future, who knows maybe move somewhere warmer.
Robin Hood.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

RobinHood wrote:In the past I have lived in Lawrence, Kansas as I spent a year at KU.
Kansas must have been a culture shock.
Many years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

AB discussion thread

RobinHood
Freshman Poster

Post by RobinHood »

S_Parc wrote:
RobinHood wrote:In the past I have lived in Lawrence, Kansas as I spent a year at KU.
Kansas must have been a culture shock.
Yeah I guess it was a bit of a culture shock. It was a good year though, plenty of keg parties, getting drunk alot and got to see quite a bit of the States.
Robin Hood.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

S_Parc wrote:
Right now, P-town is a gay enclave and thus, as a single straight guy, I can't either live or be seen there, without a woman around, or I'll be tagged. Yes, if you're a half-way decent looking guy, there's no way to avoid having men hit on you in P-town MA w/o a girlfriend. The town is split into heterosexual touristic couples and gay men, either tourists or residents.
No WONDER your hair turned white!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

RobinHood wrote:I live near Nottingham, England. My girlfriend is from Bulgaria and is moving here this Saturday.
Nice!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Everdred wrote:I'm glad this thread has gone as far as it has, but I hope it can go even further. I hope the following Happier Abroad forum members can chime in at some point or another.........

9. Jester
Past:
Born in Los Angeles.
Moved to State College Pennsyvania at age 6.
Moved to Athens Georgia around age 8.
Attended college in Princeton, NJ for three years.
Worked in Atlanta briefly then Omaha NE.
Back to Atlanta.
Came back to California in 1989.

Currently:
Glendale, California (just north of downtown Los Angeles, between Burbank and Pasadena).

Teenage Travels With Dad:
England
Greece
Lebanon
Armenia

Other Foreign Trips:
Bermuda (college rugby match)
Quebec (college ski trip)
Mexico (vacation with girlfriend, industrial sales visit, personal exploration)
Alberta (childhood trip to rodeo; business meeting)

Clearly I am OVERDUE to travel some more!
Last edited by Jester on February 26th, 2013, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobinHood
Freshman Poster

Post by RobinHood »

Jester wrote:
RobinHood wrote:I live near Nottingham, England. My girlfriend is from Bulgaria and is moving here this Saturday.
Nice!
Yeah, am really looking forward to her moving here. It's a massive move for her, but she's knows that quality of life for a woman here is good. Met an attractive Polish girl a few weeks back who works in a hotel, she said she has no plans to leave England and go back to Poland, - she knows she has value here and that life is good for her.

Women may be many things, but they will adapt to their environment to their advantage.
Robin Hood.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster

Post by S_Parc »

Jester wrote:
S_Parc wrote:
No WONDER your hair turned white!
Yes, the gays have colonized one of the great oceanside vistas in the state, only a short hi-speed ferry ride from the city.
As much as I like to walk the sand dunes, stroll through the New England-y town, do some sailing or swimming, I dare not go there alone :shock:

And thus, even if I become a multimillionaire, I will not be able to live in P-town :cry:

Instead, I'll live in Montreal QC, take a boat to Vermont's Lake Champlain valley either by myself or with a Quebecois lady :wink:

AB discussion thread

zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

clowny wrote:I live on the west coast of australia. I want to move somewhere else, but I have no idea where to go. Despite all the problems in australia, I seriously don't think life is going to be better for me anywhere else. In terms of the women, sure...there are many other countries where quality women are more plentiful and easier to meet. But aside from that, all the other countries in the world would be a huge step backwards for me.

Think about it:

USA/canada/UK/new zealand/aus - feminist hellholes

south america: poor countries where you get mugged and raped, language barrier

europe: many of these countries are in complete economic ruin such as italy, spain, greece, or on the brink of it, the only euro country that is really strong economically is germany, and there's no way in hell I would move there because
a) I speak no german whatsoever
b) the women there are SOME OF THE WORST IN THE WORLD

africa: LOL

middle east: LOL

southeast asia: would be too much of a culture shock for me, plus too many scammers, too much crime, too much police corruption, too much depravity and human filth

japan: looming economic crisis due to the labour shortage caused by the ageing population, plus there must be something really wrong with the dating scene over there, with the emergence of these f***ing "herbivore men"

china: communist f***s who torture their own people, already an unbalanced ratio of men to women would make it extremely difficult to meet single women

korea: f***ing weirdass people

So where am I supposed to go? Is there actually a developed nation in the world, with a strong economy, that is english-speaking, and doesn't have an anti-male culture?

I feel suffocated by this place. I don't belong here.
Chile, at least from what I can tell, is a vibrant economy, which is being run by economist Sebastin Penera. In addition, Chile was influenced by the Chicago School of Economics, which while not perfect on monetary policy, is pretty right on other counts. The only problem is the cost of living, which I believe is somewhat comparable to the US. If this sounds like your cup of tea, check out Simon Black at Sovereign Man, who lives in Chile.

At one point before I found an Asian jewel online, I was thinking of maybe checking out Macedonia, which seemed pretty decent. The cost of living was around $600 a month, including a 1 room home for 150 a month. The only problem is trade issues, which would hinder business, although an individual internet business might do well there. Taxes are quite low, I believe 10%.

Portugal would be perfect, at least for me. The one problem I have is with taxes, which are around 30%. If they dropped it, it would be Libertarian Heaven, at least from what I can see! Legalized drugs, freedom to home school, and cheap everything would definitely draw me there. Quote me now, I think, sparing some Euro wide crisis, Portugal is a sleeping tiger.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Jester wrote:
noog wrote:In South Dakota, USA. I'm raising my two daughters and waiting for the immigration process to come through so my fiancee can come to the US.
Smart game plan: living in an economic hot spot, dating in a dating hotspot.
Jester, it kind of reminds me of Doug Casey and what he prescribes and diversifying not only your financial affairs, but personal life. Good advice. BTW, could you give me some advice on the Philippines and if it is good for you for in terms of living there and government intrusiveness and access to international markets?
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Well, I have lived mostly in Northern Michigan, mostly the Northeastern part of it. I was born in the Northeastern part of the state, lived there for my first 5 years, moved to Toledo for 2 years, then back to Northeastern Michigan for two years, then to Traverse City for 7 years, which was nice, but I wouldn't move back, since it kind of lost it's hometown feel. Then I moved back to the Northeastern part of the state, which I now live. Most of the time when we moved, it was due to my father's employment, but now he has passed, so it has been kind of a mix for the past few years, living with others and such.

As far as culture, I feel like shooting myself (metaphorically). I was thinking about joining Toast Masters , but they close down. I also considered making an electronic club and a chapter of the Libertarian Party in my community, but I am not sure about the interest level. I am kind of debating whether to join the Republican party on account of this. But anyways. The dating is kind of hit or miss. I have been on two "dates", which is debatable whether they were. I have tried to get into youth groups and such, but they all kind of sucked. The group I am in right now (a college group) is great as far as being inclusive, but as far as dating, it is DOA. Employment is kind of iffy, like most parts of Michigan, and right now I am looking for a position at an insurance company to pick up the trade. Right now I am kind of stuck between doing insurance for awhile and going abroad. College has not been any better. I am thinking maybe I can build up a little business (insurance and financial products) and then have it on auto-pilot. I have also have considered maybe moving Grand Rapids, which seems interesting, due to the business culture, their representative (Justin Amash, a Paulite), and just what people have said about it.

As far as where I want to move, I have considered Macedonia (but land prices are a tad pricey, although everything else is pretty cheap), Bulgaria (shoe in), the Philippines (I am just not quite sure about the government's involvement, or lack of, in your life), Thailand ( I am not quiet sure how bad the racism is and the woman seem short term, also a shoe in), Canada ( Don't like the hate crimes laws), China (Good for business, not quite sure about personal life (my cousin lives there and teaches with her husband, they like it) ), and within the US (seems like all the cities are too liberal or conservative and want to shove it down your throat, not libertarian).

As far as visiting, I have visited Algonquin Canada two times. It is a proud accomplishment of mine. ( Portaging is rather hard :shock: )

I would like to visit Japan, Ireland, and maybe Brazillian.
Last edited by zacb on February 26th, 2013, 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Currently life in Northeast part of the US in the Capital Area. I briefly worked in Vienna, Austria from 2011-2012 but because of issues with the limited contract job I was doing and the fact that I made a small mistake in an interview that related in IT because of not understand the technical part of the language, I missed my opportunity to stay in Europe.

I think that basically I am looking to look to go abroad again but then again I am talking to a Mexican girl so I am mixed since I am not sure if Mexico is my life goal to stay although culture is not as feminist as the US and less PC culture coming from the Mexcian girl who says it is pretty much a 'male culture' at her work.

Traveled in Europe and Caribbean Islands plus Australia and Japan.

DC has international prescence but costs are high for pretty much everything and living at home with family has advantages and disadvantages. Friends are not too difficult since I do know of a international group but work is causing that to be mixed. Good advice for anyone who comes to the capital: do not date the local girls . They are not good for anything but getting laid. Too much about the money here.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 27th, 2013, 12:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.