Won't expats be killed when the economy collapses?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Won't expats be killed when the economy collapses?

Post by Taco »

Cornfed wrote:It occurs to me that when the economy collapses and you can't get money out of the bank or food from the supermarket that most expats will be in real trouble. Obviously most places, particularly in Asia, are nowhere near survivable by living off the land, and as foreigners the expats would be among the first to be killed and eaten.
Your quite right, living off the land is difficult in Asia. However, living off the sea is much easier, thats why there's lots of Asian fisherman.

Its true the Philippines has to import rice and wheat to feed its population. However, it is self sufficient in year round fish, coconut and banana production. In the event of an economic collapse the people will just turn to an alternative food source. In addition, its the only Asian country that welcomes foreigners, no chance of getting eaten alive, that's why I moved here.

In a grid down senario, it would be wealthy countries that would suffer the most. The system of agriculture practiced in western countries is highly dependent on technology and low oil prices. Any disruption in the supply chain will bring most western countries to a grinding halt. On the other hand, most Asian countries depend on manual labor so food production is much less complicated and can still be maintained in the event of a crisis.
Last edited by Taco on February 28th, 2013, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Taco wrote:
Cornfed wrote:It occurs to me that when the economy collapses and you can't get money out of the bank or food from the supermarket that most expats will be in real trouble. Obviously most places, particularly in Asia, are nowhere near survivable by living off the land, and as foreigners the expats would be among the first to be killed and eaten.
Your quite right, living off the land is difficult in Asia. However, living off the sea is much easier, thats why there's lots of Asian fisherman.

Its true the Philippines has to import rice and wheat to feed its population. However, it is self sufficient in year round fish, coconut and banana production. In the event of an economic collapse the people will just turn to an alternative food source. In addition, its the only Asian country that welcomes foreigners, no chance of getting eaten alive, that's why I moved here.
:lol:

I love it!
XJBrave
Freshman Poster

Post by XJBrave »

Intolerant wrote:Most of them who aren't getting any are usually 1) closet faggots not pressured into marrying their wives; 2) live in some backwoods rural region; 3) angry youth
1) gay marriage is getting more accepted and gays are actually popular for marriage for many women
2) there are very few young men still living in rural regions. in rural regions it is now mostly elderly and the kids of migrant workers who are raised by grandparents.
3) most angry youth actually tend to be responsible people and get higher than average scores in school. they should do well and have good marriage prospects imo

the real people who will be unmarried at a huge rate are the migrant workers and the children of migrant workers. these are the people expats should watch for
I only know one god, and that is the god of justice Allah
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Andrewww wrote:If everyone went to get their money you would have a civil war.
A civil war huh?

So let me get this straight...

By moving your money out of the six largest banks in America, you would start a civil war? Why and with whom?

If everybody moved their money, the banks would either collapse or get bailed out again. No war

Now would America accept another tax payer funded bail out of the .0001%? That might bring violence and I feel sorry for anybody that wants to side with the bankers in that case, but again no war.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

XJBrave wrote:
Intolerant wrote:Most of them who aren't getting any are usually 1) closet faggots not pressured into marrying their wives; 2) live in some backwoods rural region; 3) angry youth
1) gay marriage is getting more accepted and gays are actually popular for marriage for many women
2) there are very few young men still living in rural regions. in rural regions it is now mostly elderly and the kids of migrant workers who are raised by grandparents.
3) most angry youth actually tend to be responsible people and get higher than average scores in school. they should do well and have good marriage prospects imo

the real people who will be unmarried at a huge rate are the migrant workers and the children of migrant workers. these are the people expats should watch for
Do you actually believe what you just wrote? I'm just curious...
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Here is a version of the coming apocalypse predicted by renegade physicist Bill Gaede, who believes that the entire human race will go extinct over the next decade.
http://youstupidrelativist.com/08Ext/00SumExt.html

Essentially the problem is that the normal food pyramid is inverted, where instead of a few alpha predators being supported by a greater numbers of herbivores and plants, you have a huge number of alpha predators and dwindling resources supporting them. This forces the food distribution system to become more efficient which for various reasons renders it less profitable over time. At some point this arrangement will collapse as there will be nothing of equivalent value to exchange for food. The system is now so fragile that this could happen at any time. Whether this is exactly true or not, it does suggest you would want to be somewhere it is possible to live as a hunter-gatherer.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

They may kill other expats with British accents but the world loves Americans :D

hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

HappyGuy wrote:
June 26th, 2020, 2:55 am
They may kill other expats with British accents but the world loves Americans :D

Such an a$$hole thing to do, to act all PC/liberal in front of a minimum wage drive-through waiter. What have corporate-level decisions got to do with a single employee trying her best to serve customers?

I actually wonder how these guys can sleep at night...