Just a reminder: Actual US Unemployment Higher than Reported

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Dragon
Junior Poster

Just a reminder: Actual US Unemployment Higher than Reported

Post by Dragon »

So there's a misunderstanding about unemployment rates that most people don't know about. Unemployment is usually rated on a scale from U-1 to U-6. Media sources and government use the U-3 number, but that number doesn't take into account underemployment, those who have given up finding work, discouraged workers, and U-3 counts part-time workers as full-time. A much more accurate number that takes into account all these things is U-6, and not surprisingly, it is MUCH higher. There's intentional deception not to inform people about what's actually going on.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t15.htm

http://www.bls.gov/lau/stalt.htm

Some states like my state of California, have a U-6 unemployment hovering near 20%. And there's no sign of recovering at all.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

About a third of the population of any Western country is going to be essentially unemployed under the current setup.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 27th, 2020, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
Freshman Poster

Post by Jeremy »

Young males are getting screwed the worst. I know plenty of guys with degrees who are either unemployed are working lowly jobs. And despite the stereotype, most of them didn't major in liberal arts.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Ghost wrote:You have to consider those without a job who are looking for one, those who don't have a job and don't want one, those who want a job but have given up because it is damn near impossible anymore, and those who have a job but are under-employed. Considering how many millions this includes in, say, the U.S., it is curious how the U.S. manages to stay afloat without having collapsed so far.
Because the consumption lost from the roughly 20% of the population is not working, earning money, no longer getting any assistance; has been replaced by low interests rates.

That means you have some consumption, for example -

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveschaef ... -chrysler/

This is powered by much of the same thing that was happening throughout the 2000's, low interest rates and lowered credit standards.

The only difference between now and then, to compensate for lower overall wages, car loans are 60-72-84 months almost always, just look at the recent transactions - http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Lo ... 0/page/195

That is the only positive sign among durable goods actually.

The rest of it is quite dire Housing cost/rents continue to rise and its made worst by private equity firms and hedge funds buying foreclosed property, this is the transfer of wealth I keep talking about.

When most people can't afford a home, they rent.... Who does that enrich? Property Owners who are increasingly Hedge Funds and Private Equity Firms (They own the management companies that collect the rent....).

This is the only real movement in the economy. The test will be all the new electronics rolling out in the fall and winter. Examples, Moto X, Note 3, LG G2, Xbox One, PS4, Haswell powered Laptops and Mac Books, New Iphone.
getmyazzouttahere
Freshman Poster

Post by getmyazzouttahere »

Jeremy wrote:Young males are getting screwed the worst. I know plenty of guys with degrees who are either unemployed are working lowly jobs. And despite the stereotype, most of them didn't major in liberal arts.
Even those who did study arts could have been, and should have been, employed as professional artists for a living wage. In any society that continues to keep itself above Dark Ages levels of civilization, there is a place for the artist.

We don't even place many Americans as doctors, engineers or programmers anymore, FFS. Most of them are imported H1Bs brought in from outside the empire. No, before anyone goes there, that was not intended as a xenophobic shot about India, Russia, etc. The point is that people here are not being trained and encouraged to enter these crucial professions.

Instead, they're being shoehorned through dumbed-down, business-model universities, then graduated into exploitative, degrading McJobs that would have made Dickens cringe. To wit, they enter these modern-day gulags tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars in student debt, at ever-increasing interest. Murders and suicides have occurred over this situation, and can be expected to increase as the ranks of the desperate continue to swell.

There's no excuse. Roman Empire, full steam ahead.
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Re: Just a reminder: Actual US Unemployment Higher than Repo

Post by PeterAndrewNolan »

Dragon wrote: Some states like my state of California, have a U-6 unemployment hovering near 20%. And there's no sign of recovering at all.
The useless eaters in the west deserve everything that is coming their way.
Feel free to check out my blog:Click ME!
PeterAndrewNolan
Experienced Poster

Post by PeterAndrewNolan »

Jeremy wrote:Young males are getting screwed the worst. I know plenty of guys with degrees who are either unemployed are working lowly jobs. And despite the stereotype, most of them didn't major in liberal arts.
Then they should join the mens business association and get their advice and guidance from me. If they are not willing to take my advice and guidance? Then getting badly screwed over is what they deserve.

I have listened to men whine and bitch and moan and complain about how they wanted some "help" because they are getting "screwed over" for FIVE YEARS NOW. But guess what? These men WANT to be screwed over because they will not do what it takes to live in freedom and have a chance at prosperity. They are gutless cowards who want someone else to do all their work for them unpaid, AND they want to hate on and disrespect that man along the way.

Really. Western men are useless eaters in the vast majority and SHOULD be killed off for being so. I am MORE disgusted in western men than I am with western women. Look how few men actually want to start building the second economy. Western men are a JOKE!

http://www.mensbusinessassociation.com
Feel free to check out my blog:Click ME!