I got a job as a private tutor

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

I got a job as a private tutor

Post by Bao3niang »

It's only part time, but I've got a job as a private one-on-one English tutor for a 9-year old Chinese boy that lives in the same area as me (Wangjing) in Beijing. I've been teaching him for about 3 weeks on every Sunday with each lesson lasting 1.5 hours. His mother pays me 120 RMB for each lesson which is pretty decent for my first tutoring job. In the future I hope it goes up to 150 RMB per lesson.

This boy's English level is quite decent for his age. When I asked him he told me that he's actually interested in learning English, although I don't know if its what he really feels or if he's been forced by his parents. He's been learning English for 6 years, basically starting from the age where he could barely mutter a word. Right now he goes to 2 English academies. All of this shows how desperate his parents are for him to succeed beyond everyone else, which we all know is immense pressure for the child. Typical childhood wrecking East Asian parenting.

If we see this phenomenon from the selfish perspective of firms and corporations, it is this push by parents for their kids to learn English at such young ages that's making the global ESL industry boom. It is what provides so many opportunities abroad. However, on the human side of things, many expats work for these places that many kids are forced or manipulated into going.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

Oh poor kid, make sure his lessons with you are fun, throw in some games like Monopoly so he can use his conversational skills. An outdoor class to the palyground or a mall is good too, he can use his language skills there, to ask questions. I taught my baby to count in 3 languages using hide & seek. Simon says is a good game too. :P
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -