South America brazil chille Argentina are they worth it ?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Thechamp
Freshman Poster

South America brazil chille Argentina are they worth it ?

Post by Thechamp »

Brazil Argentina chillie Peru , is it worth going do the risks out weigh the benefits , my brazlian mate said its not worth it too dangerous , you have to be very carefull in Brazil etc.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: South America brazil chille Argentina are they worth it

Post by Adama »

Chile is probably safe. Argentina is probably safe too, and maybe even Peru. Many people are afraid of Brazil, and there was one guy here named Skateboardstephen who moved from the states to Brazil to marry a Brazilian girl. He says there is a lot of crime there.

I think in Chile, Argentina and Peru, as long as you made sure you are back in your hotel by the time it gets dark, you should be safe. And always call for your own taxi before getting into one, instead of hailing one on the street.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
chibolo
Junior Poster

Post by chibolo »

Chile is safe (lower homicide rate than the US). Peru is safe if you stay in the tourist areas and take precautions (like Adama said call taxis whenever possible (or use one of those safe taxi apps)). Millions of tourists visit Peru every year without any problems.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Educated and middle class Latin Americans have seen some rough stuff, and have learned to be cautious. But one should note that Latins in general are much more cautious than North Americans or Brits etc. They are NOT an adventurous people overall.

Their caution is good to a point, but not always. Generally they come from coddled backgrounds and have never had to cross boundaries and make friends across classes the way we do (and are expected to do) in the US.

For example, the thieves here in Baja are generally deportados, who have grown up in the US and speak English - and came down here with an established drug addiction, after a short jail sentence in the US. By way of contrast, the Spanish-speaking working class here is extremely kind and honest. Unless you show yourself to be a very soft and easy mark, and then after a long while they will try to gently milk you in some way.

Also, as a VERY rough rule of thumb, the Whiter they are, the less religios they are, and the more effort they expend on scheming. So Argentina would probably have more unscrupulous schemers overall than would Mexico.

But to recap I would ignore the admonitions of your Brazilian friend. There are a few things in Latin America that do not (yet) exist in "North America", namely (1) kidnappings of the rich (okay except Pattie Hearst, and the Lindbergh baby, and Barbara Mackle) and (2) use of paralyzing or date-rape drugs on unsuspecting victims.

Here in Baja, NOONE worries about (1), but I would if I were if I were in Rio or Mexico City etc etc. Here you can flaunt wealth, no fear.

BUT, re (2), people here DO wipe off the top of their beer with a cocktail napkin before cracking it open. It's a habit formed for hygiene, probably, but the habit of paying attention to what one is consuming would serve well if one were in some shady night club sharing drinks with a hot stranger.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."