Going abroad; don't chicken out!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Going abroad; don't chicken out!

Post by yick »

Tsar wrote:
August 26th, 2021, 1:58 pm
yick wrote:
August 25th, 2021, 8:50 pm
@mattyman we are going to ask the forum's experts who are now abroad on how to help you move abroad... is that fair enough?

Gentlemen, how can the OP lose his anxiety and move abroad - which is what he wants... everyone who I know who has made the move abroad can chime in and give their advice which is what he wants... really... making a plan to leave Weymouth will be better than him sitting on his backside pontificating on a subject he is completely ignorant about - I want to see him become a famous Armenian language folk singer :lol: fellas, please help him out!

@Tsar
@Cornfed
@MarcosZeitola
@hypermak

I think anxiety is a part of life but confronting the anxiety is what is needed.

Here's a very simple process he could use:
1. Write down all the benefits of going abroad vs. what he's leaving behind.
2. Write down why he wants to go abroad
3. Look for the places he might like best and are possible to stay long-term, and how he could stay.
4. Choose one and go.

(The steps don't apply to me because I didn't actually have any life in the United States or much at all)

He needs to think about money and how to earn it. English teaching is the only way for most people, unless he has £200,000 in the bank to invest some into a business. If he has £25,000 then maybe he could do day trading. Crypto trading is also possible. He could try writing ebooks or create a website

His options for going abroad long-term to the EU have become almost impossible post-Brexit but there's plenty of nations in South America and Southeast Asia that he could go long-term once travel resumes.

"The hardest choices require the strongest wills."
Thanos

Well, for me, leaving America was the easiest decision I ever made. I can't deal with life in America. I would never go back to live there. I miss the EU but I don't miss America. The great thing about America is the online shopping. Aside from that, there's nothing and no one that I miss.

I imagine with COVID-19, feminism, higher taxes, and from what I heard the NHS in the UK hasn't been funded too well in the last decade that he should really want to go abroad. But maybe he has friends and family he really doesn't want to leave or maybe he has excellent welfare perks or earning an income to stay abroad would be challenging so he doesn't really want to leave. People might have different priorities.

I think he must really want to go abroad to go abroad. Maybe he could start by sharing where he would like to go once he can travel to places when travel restrictions lessen.
Good post that, Tsar! Hopefully, @mattyman will come on here and give you a big thank you for taking time to respond to his OP...

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

mattyman wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 9:53 am
Hi there,

the only reason I'm mentioning this is because about two years ago I made a fantastically good decision; booked a one way plane ticket to Granada Spain (I'm British btw) to meet up with a friend down there who was teaching English for private lessons (who's since moved to Peru). I went down there to investigate into pursuing the same thing & also to look into workaway gigs. I had a great time, I initially stayed in a backpackers hostel. Met loads of new people, including a sweet German girl who introduced me to a friend of hers who was also living there (who was Canadian and who had also lived in the UK at one time) who also became a friend. Anyway, that's not what this post is about.

I also made an EXTREMELY STUPID decision which I'm regretting today; booked a flight home! My friend quite rightly said 'you fool, are you barking mad! He was absolutely right! It was the most STUPID decision I have ever made in recent times.

Now, what motivated that? Unaddressed fears. You see, there are two factors at play that stop people from pursuing a better life, perceived benefits of home and perceived fears and risks of moving. The thing is, it's not always easy to put your finger on them.

Recently I've been doing a lot of studying about comfort traps and ambivalence about change, which is mainly what I would like to discuss

Next time I do something like that, I don't want to chicken out like that again. Looking back it was madness? Why give up the chance for a better life, independence, a better social life, regular opportunity to mix socially & date beautiful olive skinned women & come back to a crappy mediocre excuse for a social life back home?

I noticed that in the FAQ section of this site there's an important question regarding why people don't go abroad. One reason cited despite finance, but what I think is more important and not discussed nearly enough is the 'comfort trap', common fears and ambivalence, the fear of missing things (I know this sounds funny, but even if you're escaping from a miserable situation, you can still end up 'relapsing' to it in the same way alcoholics sometimes relapse). I've been doing a lot of research recently into stopping drinking & am starting to realize that many of the concepts also apply to making many changes in life including relocating abroad.
When I was in my early 20's, maybe 22, I had a college degree. I had lived in different US states and I had travelled around the US a bit, but I had never been out of the country except for a day when I was two years old on a short road trip across the border to Mexico.

I was living with my parents, who were reasonably young and in good health and didn't need anyone taking care of them. I was single. I was working part-time in the US. I think it is still the case that if you have a degree, you can get a job teaching English in South Korea. China since became a big destination. I got a job in South Korea teaching English off of someone in my former university's computer lab who was also looking for a job.

Teaching English and 'hagwan'-- independent English schools--South Korea in the mid 1990's paid maybe $1500 a month plus transportations there and back, housing, and insurance. I think I got $1600 because my school was a franchise...or something... of a Seoul school where the wages were just a bit higher. The last I checked, salaries tended to be around $2000, so they have dropped in real terms. My salary was like that of a starting engineer in South Korea at the time. South Korea was kind of rigid. I went back to the US with the hopes of starting a teacher recruitment business, but my contact on the Korean end was just saying 'yes' 'yes' like Koreans do but didn't take any action. So I gave that up and went to work in Indonesia after about 10 months. Lower pay, about $1200 a month, but it was cheaper to live there and I found it more exciting than South Korea.

I guess I was a bit adventurous, not too rooted to one location since I'd moved around a lot growing up and been to eight schools before I'd graduated high school. A full-time gig with an apartment and a decent gig wasn't really that fearful of a thing to jump into at the time. I have made moves across the Pacific with no job lined up on the other end, at times with family in tow, at least four times that I can think of.

There are lots of self-help gurus that will talk to you about fear holding you back. A bit of practical advice would be to line up something where you want to live that isn't as scary-- at least a job situation that is enough to support you. I've had to trust the Lord on some of those moves where I either just didn't have a job, including when I didn't have a job and I believed the Lord wanted me to be in a certain location.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Man With a Plan wrote:
August 26th, 2021, 9:33 am
Aside from the schizo who tagged me (take your meds by the way, and don't ever mention/tag me again, faggot), I will say that if you're worried about feminism or gynocentrism, that's going to rule out a good portion of countries. That said, the autistic obsession with feminism has got to go. If not, you'll never find a truly good place to call home, unless you're willing to go 2nd or even 3rd world. I've been looking into some countries that have strong non-western cultural foundations. While I won't say where (because HAers will muck it up), I will say they exist. But it's a double-edged sword. When in Rome, do as, or that may be your ass.
I don't like your mean tone but i do agree that obsession with feminism is not a good thing. Because if u find a good girl that you are compatible with, you dont need to debate politics or social issues. Those things dont matter. They are fluff in the media. In China no one talks about politics because the Chinese know that its useless and irrelevant to your personal life. If u find a girl u like who respects u and treats u good it doesn't matter if she is feminist or believes in equal rights or not. The connection and relationship is what matters.

For example, I'm sure publicduende and marcoszeitola have good women who love them and they have no need to debate politics or feminism or social issues. Its irrelevant. As long as u two are in sync and have some synergy none of that stuff matters.

Btw what would happen if u ask an average feminist to explain or justify the countless double standards against men in feminist liberal culture? How would they reply? Just wondering.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Man With a Plan
Freshman Poster

Post by Man With a Plan »

Winston wrote:
August 29th, 2021, 6:03 am
I don't like your mean tone but i do agree that obsession with feminism is not a good thing. Because if u find a good girl that you are compatible with, you dont need to debate politics or social issues. Those things dont matter. They are fluff in the media. In China no one talks about politics because the Chinese know that its useless and irrelevant to your personal life. If u find a girl u like who respects u and treats u good it doesn't matter if she is feminist or believes in equal rights or not. The connection and relationship is what matters.

For example, I'm sure publicduende and marcoszeitola have good women who love them and they have no need to debate politics or feminism or social issues. Its irrelevant. As long as u two are in sync and have some synergy none of that stuff matters.

Btw what would happen if u ask an average feminist to explain or justify the countless double standards against men in feminist liberal culture? How would they reply? Just wondering.
Holy shit--did Winston just say something intelligent? Who are you, and what have you done with the REAL Winston? :lol:
BACK IN IT! || Happier Abroad Discord Server now open!

Knowledge Seeker | Sleeping Revolutionary | Lone Wolf