Latest 100 Topics Disappears

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Latest 100 Topics Disappears

Post by MrMan »

The Latest 100 Topics link shows the topics for maybe half a second, and then they instantly disappear.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Latest 100 Topics Disappears

Post by Yohan »

This depends on your browser and operating system obviously. Using firefox in my computer it will not disappear, using opera it is gone within a second. Don't ask me why. I think it has something to do with the ads showing up on the left side and the ads blockers of the browsers.
Also it seems it is somewhat related to if your operating system is 32 or 64-bit.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Yeah, I made a thread about that. This problem keeps recurring.
mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

I've been having this problem too. I click on it, the list appears, then as soon as the loading is finished it disappears. This didn't happen before I rebuilt the device. I'm using firefox. browser.

@ yohan
I will investigate into this, ad settings for the browser.

Thing is, this site registers as insecure with my current operating system and browser settings.

It used to before doing a rebuild and I didn't have this problem.

Isn't there a section for technical issues?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I think that's happening because there is a function in the code that is outdated. I received a warning a few years ago that a certain function in the code of the Latest 100 Topics page would be outdated in a few years and no longer supported by the HTML rules on the WWW. So I assume that must be the cause. I'll have to ask someone who knows HTML, such as @MrPeabody how to fix the code or update it.

MrPeabody, are you there? Or does anyone else here know HTML who could trouble shoot it?

Btw, I'm using Google Chrome and it disappears on Chrome too. Do any of you on Chrome have the same problem? I guess it still works on Firefox browser.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

mattyman wrote:
December 5th, 2019, 3:03 pm
I've been having this problem too. I click on it, the list appears, then as soon as the loading is finished it disappears. This didn't happen before I rebuilt the device. I'm using firefox. browser.

@ yohan
I will investigate into this, ad settings for the browser.

Thing is, this site registers as insecure with my current operating system and browser settings.

It used to before doing a rebuild and I didn't have this problem.

Isn't there a section for technical issues?
It registers as insecure because I haven't switched over to https yet and we are still on http. Apparently Google is penalizing all sites that haven't switched over to https yet. What a prick.

I guess we will switch over eventually. But I haven't had the time lately to try to figure out how to do that yet.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 2:52 am
I'm using Google Chrome and it disappears on Chrome too. Do any of you on Chrome have the same problem? I guess it still works on Firefox browser.
Yes, I checked it today and it still disappears on Google Chrome.

I am using windows7 - 64-bit.

However after the last updates last week, it does not disappear on Opera anymore. Version is 65.0.3467.69
Do not ask me why. It's OK now.

I never had any problem with Firefox, now using version 71.0 (64-bit).
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Yes, it disappears on Chrome.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

If you care about your privacy at all or the privacy of places you browse then don't use Google Chrome at least use Chromium or one of the dozen other browsers. And there's no reason to use google.com there are other search engines as good or better than Google.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The page shows up on Google Chrome now. Try it again:

latesttopics.php

Does it show up now? It shows up on my Chrome browser.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here's the code for the latest 100 topics page, if someone here who knows html wants to diagnose why it disappears sometimes. I think one of the commands may be outdated and no longer used by modern html standards. @MrPeabody can you help?

Latest 100 Topics Page source code:

Code: Select all

<?php
    // How Many Topics you want to display?
    $topicnumber = 100;
    // Change this to your phpBB path
    $urlPath = "http://www.happierabroad.com";

// Database Configuration (Where your phpBB config.php file is located)
    include 'config.php';

$table_topics = $table_prefix. "topics";
    $table_forums = $table_prefix. "forums";
    $table_posts = $table_prefix. "posts";
    $table_users = $table_prefix. "users";
    $link = @mysql_connect("$dbhost", "$dbuser", "$dbpasswd") or die("Could not connect");
    mysql_select_db("$dbname") or die("Could not select database");

$query = "SELECT t.topic_id, t.topic_title, t.topic_last_post_id, t.forum_id, p.post_id, p.poster_id, p.post_time, u.user_id, u.username
    FROM $table_topics t, $table_forums f, $table_posts p, $table_users u
    WHERE t.topic_id = p.topic_id AND
    f.forum_id = t.forum_id AND
    t.forum_id != 4 AND
    t.topic_status <> 2 AND
    p.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id AND
    p.poster_id = u.user_id
    ORDER BY p.post_id DESC LIMIT $topicnumber";
    $result = mysql_query($query) or die("Query failed");

print "<table cellpadding='2' cellSpacing='1' width='575'>";
    while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC)) {

echo  "<tr valign='top'><td><font face=\"Times New Roman\" size=\"3\"><font color=\"#FFCC00\"><a href=\"$urlPath/forum/viewtopic.php?f=$row[forum_id]&t=$row[topic_id]&p=$row[post_id]#p$row[post_id]\">" .
    $row["topic_title"] .
    "</a></td></font><td><font face=\"Times New Roman\" size=\"3\"><font color=\"#000000\"> <a href=\"$urlPath/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=$row[user_id]\">" .
    $row["username"] .
    "</td></tr></font>";
    }
    print "</table>";
    mysql_free_result($result);
    mysql_close($link);
    ?>

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Is the Latest 100 Topics page ok now? It seems to display ok now. Are any of you still having trouble with it? Let me know. Thanks.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here's another code to try to use for the Latest 100 Topics Page. But I don't understand what to do with it. It doesn't tell you step by step what to do with the codes or where to put them, or which ones to use, etc. Whoever wrote it lacks common sense and assumes everyone can read his mind without him needing to explain anything. Clearly he's in his own world. Some programmers are like that. They can't explain anything to layman or give step by step instructions, only talk jargon and expecting others to read his mind. Stupid.

https://wiki.phpbb.com/Practical.Displa ... rnal_pages

Can any of you figure it out? Where do you put the code under Functions? It doesn't even say.

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 3:10 am
Is the Latest 100 Topics page ok now? It seems to display ok now. Are any of you still having trouble with it? Let me know. Thanks.
It is NOT working. Empty page.
Regardless which browser I use. Computer is on Windows7

Anyway, the

View Active Topics

is now working well - so I do not really miss the 'Latest 100 Topics'.

I can use the icon on the left side down, change the search option of the ACTIVE Topics from 7 days up to 1 year
and it works really fast.

The 'Latest 100 Topic' page was however comfortable to use in the past, nice overview.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

Winston wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 8:08 pm
Here's the code for the latest 100 topics page, if someone here who knows html wants to diagnose why it disappears sometimes. I think one of the commands may be outdated and no longer used by modern html standards. @MrPeabody can you help?

Latest 100 Topics Page source code:

<?php
    $topicnumber = 100;

include 'config.php';

$link = @mysql_connect("$dbhost", "$dbuser", "$dbpasswd") or die("Could not connect");
    mysql_select_db("$dbname") or die("Could not select database");

$query = "SELECT t.topic_id, t.topic_title, t.topic_last_post_id, t.forum_id, p.post_id, p.poster_id, p.post_time, u.user_id, u.username
    t.forum_id != 4 AND
    t.topic_status <> 2 AND
    p.poster_id = u.user_id
    $result = mysql_query($query) or die("Query failed");

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result, MYSQL_ASSOC)) {

echo  "<tr valign='top'><td><font face=\"Times New Roman\" size=\"3\"><font color=\"#FFCC00\"><a href=\"$urlPath/forum/viewtopic.php?f=$row[forum_id]&t=$row[topic_id]&p=$row[post_id]#p$row[post_id]\">" .
    $row["topic_title"] .
    "</a></td></font><td><font face=\"Times New Roman\" size=\"3\"><font color=\"#000000\"> <a href=\"$urlPath/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=$row[user_id]\">" .
    $row["username"] .
    "</td></tr></font>";
    }
    print "</table>";
    mysql_free_result($result);
    mysql_close($link);
    ?>

I see several deprecated (outdated) functions in the above code. This might work:

<?php
    $topicnumber = 100;

include 'config.php';

$link = mysqli_connect("$dbhost", "$dbuser", "$dbpasswd") or die("Could not connect");
    mysqli_select_db($link, $dbname) or die("Could not select database");

t.forum_id != 4 AND
    t.topic_status <> 2 AND
    p.poster_id = u.user_id
    $result = mysqli_query($link, $query) or die("Query failed");

while ($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result, MYSQLI_ASSOC)) {

$row["topic_title"] .
    $row["username"] .
    "</td></tr></font>";
    }
    print "</table>";
    mysqli_free_result($result);
    mysqli_close($link);
    ?>