Did Covid-19 Put You Out of Work

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Did Covid-19 Put You Out of Work

Post by MrMan »

I did part of my work online before this outbreak already, and what I was doing in the real world was shifted to online. I'm at home with my wife and kids all day, now.

What about you guys? Did any of you lose a job or lose hours because of this?
HappyGuy

Re: Did Covid-19 Put You Out of Work

Post by HappyGuy »

I know a barber who was put out of work by this. Everyone else I talked to is working from home or with reduced hours. I think most people haven't felt the effects yet and the worst is yet to come by next year.

hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

The hotel/resort I work for will officially reopen on September 1. August will still be restricted to quarantining returning overseas workers and the few approved foreigners. The restaurants are open at minimal capacity and, since we don't offer take-away or delivery services (upper management decision), they are virtually empty.

I was lucky that none of the restaurant management staff has been laid off or even furloughed at half-pay, as it has happened to most of the other staff. Both the exec and myself are foreigners and they know that, if we were to be laid off and leave the Philippines, we would have trouble returning even if we wanted.
Last edited by hypermak on July 29th, 2020, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

HappyGuy wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 8:09 pm
I know a barber who was put out of work by this. Everyone else I talked to is working from home or with reduced hours. I think most people haven't felt the effects yet and the worst is yet to come by next year.

I was put out of work in mid-March, and it will be permanent as long as they require face diapers.

Things could start getting very dicey in the U.S. beginning this week. The federal contribution to unemployment insurance of $600/wk has just expired, and at this point there's no telling what Congress will do about it. If it's reduced substantially, as Republicans want to do, the economic dislocation is really going to hit the fan. But as long as it continues, who would want to go back to work?

You can also catch Gates and his "wife" smiling broadly as he talks about the second iteration of the virus really getting people's attention. Most psychopaths are a lot more clever at hiding it than he is.
hypermak
Experienced Poster

Post by hypermak »

gsjackson wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 8:51 pm
You can also catch Gates and his "wife" smiling broadly as he talks about the second iteration of the virus really getting people's attention. Most psychopaths are a lot more clever at hiding it than he is.
They stand to profit tens of billions from the vaccination/immunity pass mass hysteria that they are engineering and catertng for (via their many controller companies). They have very good reasons to giggle.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

MrMan wrote:
April 7th, 2020, 1:33 pm
I did part of my work online before this outbreak already, and what I was doing in the real world was shifted to online. I'm at home with my wife and kids all day, now.
What about you guys? Did any of you lose a job or lose hours because of this?
I am luckily retired and managed to be back to Japan in March, leaving behind my second home in Thailand.
I am not missing anything and wife and I are just waiting it out. We have a nice home here and there are no supply shortages - everything we need is available.

My daughter living about 20 miles away in a rural area, the same, no problems at all, life as always. Covid-19 problems are mainly in the dense populated cities, but not in smaller cities and rural areas and remote located islands with few visitors.

Here in Japan, in my area, I do not know anybody who really lost the job because of Covid-19, so far only 71 infections are recorded in the entire provice of 2 million people, already more than 30 recovered, nobody died. People in Japan are accustomed to use masks frequently and always wash their hands, take hot bath, in general do not shake hands - Japanese people are not so communicative.

Life here around my place is almost normal, with some part-timers working less hours, etc. - some restaurants closing earlier - public transport is sometimes reduced to sunday/holiday schedule - that's all.

My family does not know any person so far who was infected by covid-19.
WisconsinMan82
Freshman Poster

Post by WisconsinMan82 »

As a 12th-grade student at the time, I know I was frustrated when all of our schoolwork moved onto the Internet and we had to do it from home.
5/13/2024
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Yeah, kind of. I had to flee my China teaching job because of it. Then in February I got offered a job in Thailand but couldn't take it up because they closed their borders.

After that I got offered a job in the UK but never started it. I did get some compensation for that one though.

I'm doing a postgrad teaching course next month so at least that's some certainty for a year.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

September 25th, 2020
The World Bank's funding for the pandemic response has been extended to March 2025!
https://www.bitchute.com/video/XUpTBXdybMFs/
https://www.bitchute.com/channel/thecrowhouse/

Last edited by HappyGuy on March 6th, 2021, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Italianman
Freshman Poster

Post by Italianman »

gsjackson wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 8:51 pm
HappyGuy wrote:
July 29th, 2020, 8:09 pm

I was put out of work in mid-March, and it will be permanent as long as they require face diapers.

Things could start getting very dicey in the U.S. beginning this week. The federal contribution to unemployment insurance of $600/wk has just expired, and at this point there's no telling what Congress will do about it. If it's reduced substantially, as Republicans want to do, the economic dislocation is really going to hit the fan. But as long as it continues, who would want to go back to work?

Lol, it's funny how people vote against their interest.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Now doing my teaching course. It's brutally tough but at least I have money coming in and if I make it through till June I'll be a "proper" high school teacher.

I could quit if I wanted to as weirdly the website I spent time building back in 2013 when I lived in Thailand for while has now gone viral and I should really exploit that (it's not dating/HA related).
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

March 2nd, 2021
We Are ALL Essential with Mike Rowe | John Stossel
https://odysee.com/@johnstossel:7/we-ar ... ike-rowe:6
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQBbtSNw-nc
Mike Rowe tells John Stossel that Covid rules had a huge unintended consequence: They crushed work, sapping meaning from many people's lives.

Rowe says that lockdowns and business closures meant to save lives also take lives.

Domestic violence is up. So are calls to suicide hotlines.

Unemployment kills. A National Bureau for Economic Research study finds that "890,000 additional deaths may result over the next 15 years from actions taken to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus."

That's one of many unintended consequence from a "safety first” mindset.

Rowe's slogan is "safety THIRD”.
If safety were really first, he notes, "knock the speed limit down to 10 miles an hour… make cars out of rubber… make everybody wear a helmet, and let's eliminate left turns!"

"The goal of living is not to merely stay alive. Cars are a lot safer in the driveway. Ships are a lot safer when they don't leave Harbor, and people are a lot safer during a pandemic when they sit quietly in their basements, waiting for the all clear, but that that's not why cars, ships and people are on the planet!"

The above video has more of Rowe's points, including starting with the arrogance of politicians decreeing which workers are "essential."