5 Unspoken Secrets of The American Society

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Ashkeef
Freshman Poster

5 Unspoken Secrets of The American Society

Post by Ashkeef »

Hi, this is my first post, and I thought I should share some food for thought. This was about another culture, but I modified it. I wonder if any of it "sticks".

Take a look at American society. A world superpower that's supposed to be the worlds richest and most advanced country. Nice/polite, friendly people. Strangers who sometimes smile and seem happy. Sometimes they even ask you the famous "how are you doing today?". Families that seem close and have a certain unshakable bond. Such a beautiful first impression, but this is just the surface.

Want to delve into the secret world that lies beyond that exterior?

Read on…

1. Original Sin

If you’re an American, then you probably think you’re better than someone. People are so full of themselves. They think they’re higher class, more stylish, better thinkers and always right – unlike “common people”.

2. Zero Self-esteem

I’m not sure what our parents did to us growing up, but obviously there is a major problem when it comes to self-confidence. Even though we try to seem very confident (see point #1), everything we do suggests otherwise. It’s very evident in how men get so insecure about their manhood, how girls need constant confirmation about their beauty and how faux, filtered selves and lives have recently emerged on social networking websites.

3. Bullying

It’s not exclusive to kids – adults, too, bully each other on daily basis. Considering the previous points, bullies are a natural outcome. They have difficulty with their own self-esteem, so they tend to want to prove that they’re “better” by insisting on intimidating/hurting/abusing their weaker victims just to end up feeling a fake sense of domination.

4. Mastering Fake Happiness

We don’t know real happiness. No one is really happy. We’d rather pretend we’re happy. We might fake a smile to get even with someone or just to avoid anyone judging us (having a bad attitude). People don’t like what they study or do for living, not to mention that most married couples are miserable and do nothing about it (and are encouraged to stay miserable in marriage because “that’s the way it’s supposed to be”). Ask a person what happiness is to them and they will connect it to events – a football match, a wedding or a political happening.

5. Mental Illness

Denial IS a river.. and it runs in our veins. We’ve been collecting our mental illnesses – which, btw, affect all of us in some way or another with no exception, whatsoever. And we refuse to address the elephant in the room, because!?