Bad experiences of covid+covid logic applied to road traffic

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
mattyman
Junior Poster

Bad experiences of covid+covid logic applied to road traffic

Post by mattyman »

I got knocked-over, thus I want EVERYONE banned from driving. I got knocked off my bike, thus I want EVERYONE banned from driving.

Anyway, on a more serious note, have any of you the experience of;
a) getting severely ill and having had a bad experience yourself
b) knowing someone getting severely ill or
c) even losing someone close to you through complications of this evil disease

Even if you have, does that justify supporting infringements on basic human rights of the majority who HAVEN'T?

I've noticed a lot of people who strongly support lockdown are those who've had really bad experiences. It's quite understandable.

Although I'm against lockdowns as a non pharmaceutical intervention, I do acknowledge what it must be like to catch the disease badly, know someone who has or know someone who's passed as a result of complications of the covid disease. What I want to knw is what are your experiences of the disease? Have you had any of these experiences?

We know the risk groups are those who are;
  • Those over 70
The aim of this post is for people who've had bad experiences of covid to come forth.

If covid logic was applied to road safety
I've been knocked over, I want all driving banned (when a better approach could be better-designed intersections). I've been knocked-off my bike, car I dangerous, I want them all banned (a better approach would be better treatments of intersections and driver training, like the Dutch reach).

You see what I'm saying?

The only reason I can think of for people to be so pro-lockdown is a) to have had one of the experiences listed or b) to be virtue-signalling.

I would appreciate if people who've had the experiences listed speak-up rather than resort to trolling of posts critical of lockdowns and shut-downs of everything..
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Bad experiences of covid+covid logic applied to road traffic

Post by yick »

Shut up you whinging old woman.

Like the above post isn't 'trolling' consider this post as one of acknowledgement. No-one else on here cares. :lol:
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

mattyman wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 6:22 pm
The only reason I can think of for people to be so pro-lockdown is a) to have had one of the experiences listed or b) to be virtue-signalling.
There is another important reason which is widely ignored in the Western press.

To compare number of infections and number of deaths between Western countries, where people ignore any rules and have no discipline with Asian countries and how these people, governments, industry, tourism, shopping malls, restaurants, medical organizations, etc. react and co-operate to get rid of this nasty covid-19.

The statistics speak for themselves, but they are nowhere mentioned in Western media. The Western countries are just unwilling to learn anything from Asian countries.

Example, despite Japan is now really in the middle of the third wave - it was never so terrible as it is now:

Japan and Mexico have about the same population, 126 million vs. 129 million - However Japan has plenty of old people....

Japan deaths 4006 vs. Mexico 133,706

See the difference?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Yohan wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 6:16 pm
To compare number of infections and number of deaths between Western countries, where people ignore any rules and have no discipline with Asian countries and how these people, governments, industry, tourism, shopping malls, restaurants, medical organizations, etc. react and co-operate to get rid of this nasty covid-19.
It is a shame you choose to continue making yourself look silly by supporting the covid nonsense. You used to be better than this.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Cornfed wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 6:48 pm
Yohan wrote:
It is a shame you choose to continue making yourself look silly by supporting the covid nonsense. You used to be better than this.
Any explanation for this statistics below?
Japan and Mexico have about the same population, 126 million vs. 129 million - However Japan has plenty of old people....

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Yohan wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 7:00 pm
Cornfed wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 6:48 pm
Yohan wrote:
Any explanation for this statistics below?

It just depends on how many of the usual deaths you get from respiratory viruses and other causes that respective countries choose to attribute to covid. That can count as many or as little as they want.
malozite
Freshman Poster

Post by malozite »

Yohan wrote:
mattyman wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 6:22 pm
There is another important reason which is widely ignored in the Western press.

The statistics speak for themselves, but they are nowhere mentioned in Western media. The Western countries are just unwilling to learn anything from Asian countries.

Example, despite Japan is now really in the middle of the third wave - it was never so terrible as it is now:

See the difference?
Here in Australia covid has been taken very seriously. We have had only 909 covid deaths, mostly aged 70+ and in nursing homes. Australians have not been allowed to travel anywhere overseas without government permission since last March. All returning travelers must complete a mandatory 14 day hotel quarantine at their own expense, currently $3000 each. Many citizens are unable to return to Australia because of the limited quarantine places and the lack of flights into Australia.

Most states close their borders to other states as soon as there is a small outbreak of new cases. Last week a quarantine worker tested positive to the UK strain of the virus in Brisbane. The Queensland state government ordered a 3 day lockdown and most other states closed their border to Brisbane residents over just a single case. Even with the small numbers of community transmission in most states wearing 'face diapers' is mandatory indoors and on public transport and on all flights.

Most people have fully complied with all the restrictions and rules over covid. Australia is more like an Asian country in that respect, in total contrast to the US, UK and Europe.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

malozite wrote:
January 11th, 2021, 12:24 am
Most people have fully complied with all the restrictions and rules over covid. Australia is more like an Asian country in that respect, in total contrast to the US, UK and Europe.
Australia was very successful to prevent a major covid-19 outbreak. We will see within the first half of this year how vaccine in Australia works and if this covid-19 widely disappears or not.

Australia has a very clear schedule about vaccination already.
https://7news.com.au/sunrise/on-the-sho ... -c-1914551

Of course the economic damage is huge, same as in many Asian countries, which decided for strong restrictions about who is entering its territory - basically there is no international tourism at this moment.

To be able to link international flights again with Australia from Asian countries would be very nice and helpful to recover tourism business in Asia again.

I was hoping to be able to travel again from Japan around April/May/June within South East Asia and Far East Asia, but now I am not so sure if this will be possible.

This covid-19 is not a hoax, it's a dangerous virus for some patients who might end up without medical help in a life-threatening condition, patients might suffer over weeks and even months to recover.
mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

Imagine; 'I got knocked off my bike and got hurt, thus I want EVERYONE banned from driving'. That's what I see the demands for lockdown.

A better way;
  • People over 60 should work from home, or be given paid leave of 3 months (reason for >60's is because risk of severe illness is worse than flu for that age group upwards)
  • People who're clinically-vunerable (listed in the link provided in the OP) should also be given option to work from home or be furloughed
  • Working-age people living in households with such people should also work from home, or be furloughed where that's not an option
That's one measure that can a) reduce infections and b) allow life to get back to normal as soon as possible.

Stop this 'lockdown or let virus rip' false dichotomy thinking.
mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

Why has nobody answered the question in the OP?

Answer the bloody question rather than grovel.