return flight ticket is it necessary ?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
lightningbolto
Freshman Poster

return flight ticket is it necessary ?

Post by lightningbolto »

i am ready to fly to different countries but i heard that if you don't have a return ticket than they won't allow you to fly to that country is this true ?

i also heard there are websites that sell dirt cheap tickets for return flights does anyone know of where this is ?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: return flight ticket is it necessary ?

Post by gsjackson »

So, this info is prior to covid Crazy Time, and I don't know how much that would have changed things. It depends on where you're going, and, in my experience, what airline you're flying. The problem I had was always American Airlines in Dallas. Twice they almost didn't let me on flights going to EU countries. Both times once I managed to talk my way on to the flights -- one to Belgium, one to Portugal -- there was no problem at all when I got to those countries. They didn't ask me anything, and just stamped the passport immediately.

UK passport control is always the biggest pain in the ass of the western countries. They'll interrogate you about when and how you're leaving, but will probably let you in eventually if you give them some kind of plausible answer.

So, I think the problem isn't so much with the countries as with the airlines. Apparently they're subject to some kind of fine if they deliver up rabble the country doesn't want.

But keep in mind that for many flights a round-trip ticket is cheaper than one way, so in those cases you'd want the return ticket even if you aren't coming back any time soon.
Formafist
Freshman Poster

Post by Formafist »

Yes, because there are feminists who work at the Trudeau Islamic airport who detain single men leaving on one-way tickets to Asia. My travel agent warned me of this and advised me to get a return flight even when I was not coming back to Canada.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Formafist wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 3:36 pm
Yes, because there are feminists who work at the Trudeau Islamic airport who detain single men leaving on one-way tickets to Asia. My travel agent warned me of this and advised me to get a return flight even when I was not coming back to Canada.
Really? A country can't require their own citizens have a return ticket back home. Only foreign nations can require foreign citizens without residency permits to have a return ticket.

But maybe Canada has started to act more like a ""Democratic People's Republic of Canada."
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Tsar wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 3:57 pm
Formafist wrote:
Really? A country can't require their own citizens have a return ticket back home. Only foreign nations can require foreign citizens without residency permits to have a return ticket.

But maybe Canada has started to act more like a ""Democratic People's Republic of Canada."
This is likely not because of Canada but about the destination, various countries in Asia require foreign tourists to show up with money and a return ticket, if not entry might be refused. Airlines might refuse boarding if no return ticket can be provided for that reason.

Same with embassies when issuing visa, no return flight - no visa.

For example Thailand
http://www.thaiconsulate.jp/en/need_visa/
(visafree)
(1) adequate cash of or equivalent to 20,000 Baht per person or 40,000 Baht per family
(2) a passport with at least six-month validity and
(3) a round trip ticket.
http://www.thaiconsulate.jp/files/user/ ... st_ENG.pdf
(with tourist visa)
7. Airline ticket or flight booking confirmation
Airline ticket or booking confirmation of the flights from Japan to Thailand and from Thailand to the applicant’s
destination with the applicant's name and flight details (flight numbers/ date and time of arrival and departure)
issued by airline or travel company.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Yohan wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 9:00 pm
This is likely not because of Canada but about the destination, various countries in Asia require foreign tourists to show up with money and a return ticket, if not entry might be refused. Airlines might refuse boarding if no return ticket can be provided for that reason.
I guess I had part of the answer in my own question.

But the OP said he had a ticket elsewhere. Is a return ticket to country of origin absolutely necessary if they have a ticket to another destination showing they would leave when necessary?
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

lightningbolto wrote:
April 11th, 2021, 7:03 pm
i am ready to fly to different countries but i heard that if you don't have a return ticket than they won't allow you to fly to that country is this true ?

i also heard there are websites that sell dirt cheap tickets for return flights does anyone know of where this is ?
They probably want a ticket out of their country to somewhere else. For Indonesia, one option would be to buy a ferry ticket from the island of Batam to Singapore. A bus from a border town in Vietnam to a neighboring country may suffice. If you can search around on the Internet and buy bus or boat tickets that you may or may not use, that might save you a little hassle. My guess is with the Internet, you could buy a lot of these tickets if COVID-19 has not shut things down.

I am not sure what the visa was, maybe tourist, but I think Indonesia does or did require a return ticket for American citizens, but it may not have been enforced. I do not think I have ever been there on a tourist visa, but maybe once I did. I usually went on a work, business or social-cultural visa. Even if it is not always enforced, I would not mess around, especially in countries that are high on corruption. You don't want them to take you into a little room after a 30 hour flight and try to extract money from you. If you do fly into a country without a return visa, be prepared to pay airport prices to get a ticket to go somewhere else from the airport where you arrive.

If you do get stuck in an airport facing either paying for an expensive exit ticket (my guess is to any other country) at an expensive desk there, another option would be to buy the ticket online. You can check for comments ahead of time to determine if the free airport wi-fi is reliable. It may not be secure. if you could find a pre-paid cell phone SIM card desk there in the office, buy that, and use that to buy a ticket, it might work better. Cell data airtime is like gold in the US, but it can be cheaper in Asia. I find it hard to buy stuff on a cell phone. If you have one that tethers and a laptop, that makes it easier.

If you want to buy a ticket at the counter or pay for extra bags, take Visa and Mastercard with you. I have been rejected for American Express in Jakarta. I am thinking it may have happened in Singapore. I am not sure how widespread Discover is used. I'd stick with having a Visa and a Mastercard. I was frustrated with Delta's partners for SkyMiles for not taking Amex cards when they have such good promotions for adding bags. You might be able to use it online.

Don't mess around though. Tick all the boxes before you fly out, but beware of contingencies if you miss anything. When you come in from overseas, that is especially when you want all your paperwork to be in order. You may need to give an address where you are staying, and you may want to have a reservation. If you are really exhausted, it is hard to think clearly what to do, and a much higher bribe to get some sleep might seem more appealing to you than a cheaper ticket online.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Tsar wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 10:47 pm
Yohan wrote:
April 17th, 2021, 9:00 pm
I guess I had part of the answer in my own question.

But the OP said he had a ticket elsewhere. Is a return ticket to country of origin absolutely necessary if they have a ticket to another destination showing they would leave when necessary?
You would probably get a better response from the country's consulate or embassy or the airline than you would here. I think tickets out of the country are okay. Immigration in one country probably are not concerned as long as you are leaving their own country. But I am not sure about this. Laws can be stupidly specific.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Formafist wrote:
Your travel agent probably made a lot more money off a return ticket than if you had gone online and bought a little bus or boat ride to another country. I am not sure the availability of these types of tickets online and if you can use English to buy them.

Btw, who uses an actual 'travel agent' these days that you actually talk to? It is cheaper to buy through discount sites then talk to the airline reps for questions. You may have to wait a while to talk to a representative. I am not sure travel agents really know these details better than the reps at the airlines who probably look up the same kind of data sheets.

Sometimes the airlines can answer these questions if they are not too detailed. You can also call national embassy's about their policies. You could even try to call immigration in the country you are going to. The US government may have some information online as well.
Formafist
Freshman Poster

Post by Formafist »

When a man thinks he knows a lot when he doesn't know jack about visa and immigration issues, it costs more in the long run...