Ladislav--I'd like to get more information

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I've applied to IDP and British Council to be an IELTS examiner previously. Both times I was rejected for lack of experience or qualifications. They are actually quite strict and are a bit biased against North Americans, so you have to have some decent credentials to get hired.

I'm going to reapply with them after the holidays as I think i may be able to get hired now with a master's degree in education, with over 45 hrs of observed teaching English with nonnative speakers as part of the requirement, which is documented in my transcripts.

Basically they only want native speakers or locals that can obtain a 9 rating. You should have a degree in English, education or TEFL or related degree. Also it looks good if you have gone through a certified English training program like CELTA or DELTA. They won't accept TESOL certificates as they are not monitored by any outside accrediting agency. So if your going to want to teach English overseas and don't already have an English or education degree than get a CELTA or DELTA.

Depending on your location the pay goes up or down. In the Philippines its still decent money but I think they are only paying around 300 pesos a head whether its interviewing for the speaking or correcting and grading their writing papers. But it adds up quickly as its a large market here in the Philippines for qualified IELTS examiners.

Regarding math and science teachers, if you have a degree in a related field and are teacher certified and a native speaker you can work anywhere in the world you want, you would be a hot commodity in the international school marketplace. They pay pretty good and you would have a much better lifestyle than being a teacher in the states. I may go this route once I have obtained my teacher certification. I'm still waiting for the paperwork to process. I'm a computer and education major so I figure I can get work teaching computer stuff or English.

Ladislav - I'm curious why you would be rejected. I'm assuming your degree is related to teaching English and you have documented experience working in a classroom environment teaching English to non-native speakers. Do you have an apparent accent? Did they make you take the IELTS test itself? It could be the local politics there as they might have felt threatened if they hired you. Next time you go on a vacation somewhere apply to the local IELTS branch as they all have different hiring processes and needs per country. Also try the IDP branch where you are at, they hire separately and you may be able to get on with them! Just don't mention you applied for the British Council and got rejected.

I know the Philippines is always looking for examiners, its just they are really picky about the selection process and you have to do the training in another nearby country like Thailand, Singapore or Hong Kong as they don't generally hold any in the Philippines.

I'm hoping this time around I can get in with either the British Council or IDP IELTS. I'll keep you informed of my progress.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
James G
Freshman Poster
Location: Virginia, USA – Jakarta, Indonesia – Bangkok, Thailand

Post by James G »

WWu777 wrote:Wow James, is that your blog? TheProfessionalAdventurer.com? It looks neat. If you like, you can tell us about it in another thread, and what we can learn from it, either here or in the Asia board (since you talk about Thai women on it) or in the website recommendation board.

I like the pic of the hot Thai girl on your current page. Wow she is hot!

Thanks man, yep, that’s my site – it originally started out just as a place for me and my buddies to share travel stories and Expat advice, but now its grown into a bigger and more organized mag.

I am also posting some of ladislav’s stuff there (with his permission of course)

I post a new story about every 3 days so keep checking back

Also I wrote an article about Jobs in the Middle East that will come out later this month

The gal is a friend of one of the writers, cool gal

James
NOMAD MARKETING 101
Learn how to Travel and Live Around the World and Make Money at the Same time
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

James G wrote:
Thanks man, yep, that’s my site – it originally started out just as a place for me and my buddies to share travel stories and Expat advice, but now its grown into a bigger and more organized mag.

I am also posting some of ladislav’s stuff there (with his permission of course)

I post a new story about every 3 days so keep checking back

Also I wrote an article about Jobs in the Middle East that will come out later this month

The gal is a friend of one of the writers, cool gal

James
W: I see. I just took a look at it and it has some potential and is nicely laid out. What is the difference between your "the professional adventurer" site and the "expat rock star" site?

Would you be interested in exchanging links? I was thinking I could put your site on my home page in a section called "Sites for Men Dating Women Overseas" under the travel and dating services section, and also in the links section of my ebook. And in return, you could link this site and forum somewhere on your front page as well?

What do you think? PM me if interested.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

gordan wrote:
ladislav wrote:By the way I have just applied to become an IELTS examiner and went for an interview. I failed it and they did not accept me into the program. Lol
With all your education and experience, how did you fail the exam?
I don't know. They kept asking me how I did on my practicum back in college- 24 years ago. And why I got only a C. That is tru actually. They wanted a straught A student, I guess. Oh, well, I could try some other IELTS center. Maybe in the US.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

gordan wrote:
ladislav wrote:By the way I have just applied to become an IELTS examiner and went for an interview. I failed it and they did not accept me into the program. Lol
With all your education and experience, how did you fail the exam?
I don't know. They kept asking me how I did on my practicum back in college- 24 years ago. And why I got only a C. That is true, actually. They wanted a straight A student, I guess. Oh, well, I could try some other IELTS center. Maybe in the US.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!