Anyone Heard of Being a Telephone Interpreter?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
rudder
Junior Poster

Anyone Heard of Being a Telephone Interpreter?

Post by rudder »

I came across some local job ads looking for over the phone interpreters to interpret doctor-patient interactions. The languages are Spanish and English. The ad said it's a full time job, which surprises me that you'd actually be occupied with interpretations all day every day. I don't get why there would be demand in a latin american country to interpret a doctor-patient dialogue. All the patients here speak Spanish, and so do all the doctors.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Anyone Heard of Being a Telephone Interpreter?

Post by MrMan »

rudder wrote:
November 17th, 2021, 9:41 am
I came across some local job ads looking for over the phone interpreters to interpret doctor-patient interactions. The languages are Spanish and English. The ad said it's a full time job, which surprises me that you'd actually be occupied with interpretations all day every day. I don't get why there would be demand in a latin american country to interpret a doctor-patient dialogue. All the patients here speak Spanish, and so do all the doctors.
Maybe US doctors are looking for low-cost translators to translate for doctors in the US.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Re: Anyone Heard of Being a Telephone Interpreter?

Post by HouseMD »

rudder wrote:
November 17th, 2021, 9:41 am
It is likely a remote job for US hospitals. I use interpreter lines all the time, probably one in ten patients or family members in my area are Spanish speaking only