The Euro is at its weakest in a year!

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

The Euro is at its weakest in a year!

Post by Tsar »

This means that my money goes much further because the dollar is at its strongest against the Euro. +10% greater than the last time I was in the EU.

Food at grocery stores in Europe are half the cost of Mexico and one-fourth the cost of the US. Excluding most meats.

At the moment, the exchange rate is $1.00=€0.89 as the mid-market rate.

If the dollar can return at least $1.00 = €0.95 then I am doing very well for myself.

Great for me because my income is dollar denominated.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: The Euro is at its weakest in a year!

Post by MrMan »

Tsar wrote:
November 25th, 2021, 1:26 am
This means that my money goes much further because the dollar is at its strongest against the Euro. +10% greater than the last time I was in the EU.

Food at grocery stores in Europe are half the cost of Mexico and one-fourth the cost of the US. Excluding most meats.

At the moment, the exchange rate is $1.00=€0.89 as the mid-market rate.

If the dollar can return at least $1.00 = €0.95 then I am doing very well for myself.

Great for me because my income is dollar denominated.
I read that trillions of Euro have been printed for relief programs. Does anyone know how this compares to the US-- trillions of Euro versus the size of the currency to begin with in relation to the US dollar?

I told an economist I know back in maybe March or so that I was thinking of buying a house because I expected inflation. He rattled off a bunch of indicators I did not know to argue against my idea. I saw people were not working and the government was printing more cash. Maybe lower bowering would decrease the money supply. But the housing market was booming as the government gave out down payments and investors were looking for something stable.

Anyway, I was right and there was inflation.

Interest rates are supposed to predict inflation. Somehow the US has engineered things to still have low interest rates when inflation is high. I don't get it, but that is how it has been working. Europe had it's interest rates go up to between 4 and 5% during this COVID mess. This is not my area of expertise, but it could be Europe just diluted its currency and one Euro being less than one dollar is a new norm.

I wouldn't recommend speculating if you don't understand the fundamentals, and I have a cursory knowledge of such things, if that, myself. But being diversified internationally in terms of currency and investments you hold may be a way of hedging against a currency crash.