What is stopping most of you from going abroad?

Discuss and talk about any general topic.
Kalinago
Junior Poster

What is stopping most of you from going abroad?

Post by Kalinago »

I am genuinely curious.the economy is going to shit right now.

Are most of you financially restrained From doing so?

that is a rethorical question of course.

I can understand being here during covid lockdown etc

and seeking quick advice,but everything to know about most places has already been discussed.

I am new in bringing information about the hidden jewel of portugal,because it's a obscure country not on ppl''s radar and I went there by accident.

but every other place has been discussed.
Outcast9428
Experienced Poster

Re: What is stopping most of you from going abroad?

Post by Outcast9428 »

I went to Hungary last August, I will be going to Southern Mexico two weeks from now. A month after that I plan to visit Tennessee and maybe Arkansas. I am not going abroad for the purpose of dating though but rather to simply explore different countries and cultures.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Outcast9428 wrote:
March 25th, 2023, 11:06 pm
I went to Hungary last August, I will be going to Southern Mexico two weeks from now. A month after that I plan to visit Tennessee and maybe Arkansas. I am not going abroad for the purpose of dating though but rather to simply explore different countries and cultures.
Do you recommend Hungary?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Mostly financial issues. I am tied to my job and it's getting harder to save with high inflation rate and rising cost of living.
And the Federal Reserves is raising the interest rate to 5%. My salary still stays the same. My field Logistics is very stagnant right now and
they expect us to make "miracles" with a skeleton crew. No body is hiring despite posting "now hiring" sign.

I was going to switch to IT and tech, but Silicon Valley's bubble went bust and there are too many coolies to compete with and the AI has entered the programming field..

and I had to play stupid dating/mind games with companies that requires 3-5 years of relevant experience but those c*cksuckers want to pay salary of one person to do two to three jobs.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Kalinago wrote:
March 25th, 2023, 11:02 pm
I am genuinely curious.the economy is going to shit right now.

Are most of you financially restrained From doing so?

that is a rethorical question of course.

I can understand being here during covid lockdown etc

and seeking quick advice,but everything to know about most places has already been discussed.

I am new in bringing information about the hidden jewel of portugal,because it's a obscure country not on ppl''s radar and I went there by accident.

but every other place has been discussed.
I'd like to take my kids with me when I travel, and my wife of course. That's a lot of money. I'd like us all to go to Indonesia in the summer. That does depend on how our financial situation turns out. Some aspects of my income are not exactly predictable.

But I also need either a letter from a doctor at a government hospital or for Indonesia to change it's vax policy before we go back. Maybe I can hit a doctor acquaintance whose coming over for dinner for letter tonight, but I don't think he'll do it based on past conversations. One of my kid's friend's dad is a conservative pediatrician. He might be anti-vax, and he works at a government hospital, so we'll see. We were thinking about having them over for dinner before we thought of that.

If the money comes in and we get the letters or the policy changes, we might go there. I'm thinking of Iceland for a vacation, for the nature type stuff and the views. I'm not traveling to 'pick up babes' (with my wife and kids, and not if I had to go alone either.)
florida johny
Freshman Poster

Post by florida johny »

Someone in my immediate family has serious health problems so I can not move right now.
I can visit places but not move yet like I would like to.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Nothing is stopping me from going abroad or travel within Japan.
About within Japan, there was never any restriction, we could use the express train or drive by car to everywhere.
-----
About travel to abroad; Last year I was 2 times in Thailand (totally about 2 months) this year I was in Philippines and in May/Juni I will be in Thailand again, maybe cross over to Cambodia or Malaysia.
5 x covid-19 vaccinated (with international certificate) and against pneumonia and seasonal flu too. Therefore no problem either for re-entry into Japan.
Flights are cheap now, if you choose an international not so busy airport in Japan. My flight in May from Fukuoka Airport to Bangkok Don Mueang Airport and return is only USD 300,- discount ticket, as I have no luggage for check-in (I have all I need in my second home in Thailand/Pattaya anyway...)
Outcast9428
Experienced Poster

Post by Outcast9428 »

kangarunner wrote:
March 26th, 2023, 4:51 am
Outcast9428 wrote:
March 25th, 2023, 11:06 pm
Do you recommend Hungary?
I loved Hungary… I would definitely recommend it.

I made a trip report about it if you’d like to see.

viewtopic.php?style=11&f=6&t=46110&p=37 ... rt#p377464
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

For now it is only work, but i am trying to move my business 100% online.
I already started to use microsoft teams phone number and with this thing the transition should go much easier.
The communication with the customers will be not a problem at all and i can provide a good service for them in a real time.
Mercury
Junior Poster

Post by Mercury »

Lack of money! Going abroad is expensive. From Atlanta to Paris costs about 50 grand one way. Manila is about a quarter million dollars one way. Mexico City from Atlanta is about 4k each way. And that's with air fares alone. Moving to any of those places costs about 5 times that amount. Plus you need a passport and a Visa, which are a couple grand more. Moving to another country, you need to deal with that country's immigration authorities and you need to apply for citizenship. Then you need to, somehow, transfer your bank account from the USA to the country that you're moving to. Second and third world countries have no Social Security Disability and no Section-8 or HUD-subsidized housing including for persons with autism, cerebral palsy, spina-bifita, or people in wheelchairs, where your rent is calculated by your income and you pay just a third of your income for monthly rent. Some countries still institutionalize all such people, and those institutions are like a prison. Even many industrialized nations like Australia, France, Germany, Singapore, etc, won't accept anyone with autism or cerebral palsy that can't work and that needs a monthly pension to keep a roof over their head. Crossing an international border is not like crossing a state border.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

1. Work and other commitments.
2. Needing to re-do kids passports.
3. Need money...if an investment cashes out.
4. Need the country to drop vax requirements or I need the right kind of doctor' letter.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Money...
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Chandler
Freshman Poster

Post by Chandler »

it true what poster above say about money... not everyone get lucky and is trust fund kid with easy privilege life... some of us poor, have work, are sick, mentally sick, etc. so we travel abroad through website like this instead.