Trip Report: Israel

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Trip Report: Israel

Post by Maverick »

Hey all.

I recently got back from my Jewish Birthright experience in Israel. To be honest, I was pretty pissed when I first returned because I got really screwed on my trip (shitty group, shitty group leader, lots of wasted time on pointless nonsense), but I still believe that I got a good feel of what Israel is like.

There were basically two places that I would recommend checking out if you go there: Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. The rest was basically nowheresville desert.

Okay so now onto my summary.

The Atmosphere

It's pretty hardcore. The country is surrounded by huge concrete fences with barbed wire on the top. It's pretty much like this on all of the borders because, well, everybody hates Israel lol.

As you would imagine, there is tons of desert everywhere. Despite the view that we are given here in the US, Israel is very much a third world country. It had that feel to it both in the rural and city areas. I would say it feels much more like a third world country than, say, Bangkok.

As you would imagine, religion is a BIG deal over there. Jerusalem shuts down from Friday 8 PM to Saturday 8 PM for Shabat. I also heard stories of discrimination against less religious Jews and non-Jews from the hardcore Orthodox/Hasidic Jews, which wouldn't surprise me. Judaism there had a bit of a cult feeling to it.

I assumed before coming there that all of the people that I would meet were Jews, but this wasn't the case. There was a significant Arab population that I met there. Some were Muslim. Some were Christian. Of course, most of the country is made of Jews though.

However, I didn't see one Asian person there. None at all. And we traveled through the entire country and went out at night. So that is certainly something to consider.

EDIT: After thinking about it a bit, I DID see black people there...a lot of them. They generally worked in menial jobs (janitors, etc) and seemed to not be valued much. It did have a bit of a racist feel to it, tbh.

The Food

The food was pretty bad, imo. It was mostly falafels. Those things were extremely hard to get away from. They're everywhere and they taste pretty awful in my opinion. There were other dishes, but it was mostly tasteless and bland. The food might actually be a dealbreaker to me if I would ever think about moving there.

Also, food prices are quite high. It's not what I would expect from a third world country. Many of the places I ate at, even the less touristy places, had prices as high as the US or even higher for way worse quality food.

The Girls

In my opinion, this is a good country to meet girls. They're feminine, friendly, and hot. I would say the average girl I saw walking around would be a high 6 to 7 in the US. As you would imagine, Israel girls have darker tints to their skin (though, not THAT much darker) than white girls and have Middle Eastern features.

Jerusalem is a good place to go for sweet, friendly girls, especially during the day. We met some girls there during the day and didn't game them at all. The nightclubs were a bit tougher. Though, the place we went to (well, we forced to) was very touristy. So it's possible that the girls I was talking to weren't even from there. Either way, it was similar to a club in the US. We were just nice, straightforward, got their numbers, and hung out. Simple.

The girls were hotter overall in Tel Aviv, but they were also more difficult. During the day, we walked around and tried to meet some. After trying to talk to a few girls, we realized that being nice and normal (the way we were with Jerusalem girls) wasn't going to work here. So we changed our tactics a bit and the girls responded well.

The night clubs in Tel Aviv were insane. I was some of the hottest Arab girls there that I ever saw in my life (some were beyond 10s on American standards). Again, this was tough. If you come out to one of these places and want to hook-up with girls at these places, your game has to be on-point. It's worth it though if you're looking for extremely high caliber girls in the looks department. :D

Overall, it was a good time. I doubt I would ever live there, but I'd like to go back and visit on my own terms (with freedom to do whatever I want).

EDIT: Another interesting note (since this came up in another thread) is that none of the girls that I met there actually asked if I was Jewish, even girls that I hung out with a significant amount of time.

My feeling is that unless the girl is very religious (and there are plenty there that aren't), it won't really matter all that much if you're not Jewish.

Of course, I wasn't there long enough to date or get into a relationship with any of them. I'm almost positive that not being Jewish will affect you down the line somewhere, almost definitely in marriage. So that's something to consider.
Last edited by Maverick on July 27th, 2013, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Are the women in Israel very materialistic and picky like Western women? And, do you think an Asian male would do well in that country? Also, I've read that there's roving bands of Jewish men that 'protect' their women from dating Arab men? Did you see that while you were there? Here's some articles about it:

Vigilantes Patrol For Jewish Women Dating Arab Men
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =113724468

Israel's Fear of Jewish Girls Dating Arabs; Team of Psychologists to "Rescue" Women
http://www.alternet.org/story/142900/is ... e%22_women

Sex with Jewish girl costs Arab man 18 months in Israeli jail
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pajvvFuj ... E8&index=4[/youtube]

I know I've heard from people say that Israel is a pretty racist country. Did you see much racism in the country, while you were there Maverick? Just curious...Here's some videos about the racism in Israel:

Israel's New Generation of Racists
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPzYExjz ... &index=168[/youtube]

Israel's Neo Nazis- Israel

Israeli Racism - E:60 Israeli Premier League

Ethiopian-Israelis rally against racism

Racist Raids: Anti-Arab violence by Jewish youth on rise in Israel
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

I definitely do think that there is racism against Arabs, which does make sense since the Jews and the Arabs have been fighting for that land for decades now. I didn't see any of it though. The video that you posted about the beatings occurred in the West Bank. This land is currently occupied by Palestinians. I was with an organized group and was unable to go there (not sure if I would have wanted to anyway...I hear they don't like Americans much :p).

I did, however, see what I believe to be racism against blacks (see my above edit to my original post). However, there was a black poster on this forum that said that he lived in Israel for a few years and he didn't experience any racism, but, for the life of me, I can't find that thread right now (it might be the fact that this guy is a black American).

As far as Asians go, there was an asian girl with our group. She was treated well and didn't speak of any racism against her. I think being an American will help, for sure. Of course, this is all speculation, as I didn't see any asians at all walking around and I can't seem to find any blogs about asians living in Israel (which may be telling).

Still though, you never know if you don't try. I say give it a shot. Spend a few weeks to a month there and see if you experience any racism. That's the best way to do it, imo.

As far as the girls go, based on my experiences with them, I think girls from Jerusalem would make good wives. Like I said, meeting girls there was very easy. I didn't have to play any games with them and the girls were attractive. They were very sweet, friendly, and welcoming. Tel Aviv was more difficult and similar to meeting girls in the US (except the girls were much hotter).
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

I really don't think Israel is worth the trip if you're an asian guy. There are just way better places to go than to waste time on such a volatile and politically controversial place. First of all it's a conflict zone and I know for a fact Israelis don't have the best impression of asians or blacks. I met quite a few Israelis in Thailand and they were generally negative people and quite obnoxious in their treatment of other ethnicities. They may treat an asian girl in that kind of organized birthrite group well but I don't believe a single male asian tourist will get the same experience by any stretch of the imagination.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Thanks for the report. Those Dam Jews!
Time to Hide!
AnonymousAmerican
Freshman Poster

Post by AnonymousAmerican »

Confirms what I thought about about Israel. @repatriate. Once again, all you do is talk out of your ass, like you always do when talking about the Mediterranean.
A bartender told me this while I was in Guadalajara Mexico:

"If you aren't careful here with the women, you will be married in a week."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMNPv_HXffQ

how I live my life.

how to survive in the US: viewtopic.php?t=19236
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

AnonymousAmerican wrote:Confirms what I thought about about Israel. @repatriate. Once again, all you do is talk out of your a**, like you always do when talking about the Mediterranean.
How am I "talking out of my ass" show me some proof that Israel is fantastic for asians. I actually know people who went there who are asian and they said it was a neutral to unfriendly place for the most part. Plus there are tons of news articles talking about Israeli mistreatment of racial minorities.

Your obsession with the med. is comical as is your plan to compete with Spanish and Italian men for their women. It sounds like you're setting yourself up for massive disappointment.