Ladislav in Jamaica

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Ladislav in Jamaica

Post by ladislav »

One good thing about living in the US is that the Caribbean is so close. So, I decide to check out the ex British part of it- for the first time ever. So here are the good and the bad.

Good: Just two and a half hours from Atlanta.

The fresh air of the tropics. Really pretty natural scenery- very similar to the Subic Bay in the Philippines, but with more mountains. Not crowded. Been eating local food which is wonderful and typical Caribbean- yams, goat meat fresh chicken and fish, rice and beans, plantain bananas.

Lots of nice British colonial architecture- same thing that you see in India and Singapore. Many bright white and red buildings ala Bahamas.

Some unusual things- egrets walking the streets, pheasants walking around.

The Atlantic is so different from the Pacific- it's emerald with white caps all over and there's this great fresh air with a scent of iodine coming from it. The sand underneath is soft and yellow, no corals, no rocks.

Most people look like Black Americans- many are pure West Africans, some look like mulatto types with British/Celtic features but mostly just Senegalese/Nigerian like. Very friendly and humble and happy to talk to you. Sweet accents and gentle voices and demeanor. Unlike with Black ( and white) Americans, there is no ice barrier or deep suspicion of a stranger-" Hey mon! com'ere mon!" Everyone wants to be your friend and are approachable and smiley ala Filipino. So, there is probably no loneliness here for anyone as you can just walk up to anyone and strike a conversation. It's socially healthy.

There is virtually no homosexuality here- it's not tolerated so all guys are always slapping each other, there are Hi Fives and great friendship among men.There's generally a warm and friendly inclusive vibe coming from the people. There's also little or no racism against non Blacks. A great relief!

As one Jamaican told me- "We don't consider ourselves black ( or white). We consider ourselves Jamaican".

Been swimming in the sea with all Jamaicans around me and also in the pool and drinking rum all the time.

They take the Discover card- very few foreign countries do. The Internet and the Wi Fis are very fast and fully functional. Little to no downtime.

The girls are very friendly and not scared of strangers or foreigners. Local guys have more than one GF with kids from them. If you want a black African-looking girl with no toxic attitude, this is the place to find one. There is apparently no hostility from the locals if you do.

Bad: It's outrageously expensive. Almost the same prices as in the USA- maybe only 10% cheaper. Some items are even more expensive than in the US. I have no idea how locals can live here. Even a simple street meal is like $5 minimum.

Taxis have no meters and charge you $5 for a one mile ride.

A plastic cup of rum with juice was $5 dollars.

The immigration is really strict- asking you all sorts of questions, wanting to know so many things about you. I did not feel very welcome coming in. The disembarkation form is cumbersome and very long. The visa was for 3 months even though the immigration site says that we are to be given 6 months.

P4P- I visited a local massage parlor and it was on a hill overlooking the sea -ala Malibu- a nice building in a gorgeous location. They had a bar and a beer was $4 dollars. Two girls lounging in the chairs. The cheapest massage was for $40 but the special service started at $100 an hour. There was no air conditioning in the place.

Most hostels advertise deceptively lowish prices because they show double occupancy but you alone will end up paying $40 + for a small room with no a/c as most don't have it. So, it's a total rip off. Don't stay at hostels here. Might as well just add a bit more and get a hotel room.

The Jamaicans' language is Patois, and it sounds like a guttural W. African tongue which is totally incomprehensible to me. That's what they speak among themselves but use English with foreigners and in official situations. So, unless you speak it well, you will not really fit in.

They offer you illegal substances everywhere- on the beach, in the city, etc. I don't like that.

The girls are not that pretty- many fat ones with giant haunches. But at least they have no attitude.

Many places seem to close at 10 PM and there's no concept of room service at my hotel- they had no idea what it was.

Conclusion- a nice break from the matrix but I would not want to retire here.

Last edited by ladislav on August 19th, 2013, 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Congrats on getting back out of The Doldrums (i.e. US)
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Nice report!

Can't believe that gay guys would make do with women though - there are homosexuals in all countries.

P4P sounds kind of expensive.

Immigration sounds a hassle. Best country to visit in this regard is Malaysia - they took seconds to whisk me through and gave me a 90 day visit.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

xiongmao wrote: Immigration sounds a hassle. Best country to visit in this regard is Malaysia - they took seconds to whisk me through and gave me a 90 day visit.
Was "tropical malaise" a problem in Malaysia?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Jamaicans just like their African cousins strongly oppose gay lifestyles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Jamaica

Jamaica has been described by some human rights groups as the most homophobic place on Earth because of the high level of violent crime directed at LGBT people.[1] The United States Department of State said that in 2012, "[h]omophobia was widespread in the country".[2] The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights in 2012 said that "discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression is widespread throughout Jamaica, and ... discrimination against those in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and intersex ... communities is entrenched in Jamaican State institutions. Those who are not heterosexual or cisgender face political and legal stigmatization, police violence, an inability to access the justice system, as well as intimidation, violence, and pressure in their homes and communities."[3]:page: 95 Human Rights Watch said in 2012 that because of homophobia, "human rights defenders advocating the rights of LGBT people are not safe in Jamaica".[4]
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Judging from all the cars in your pic, the wages must be higher in Jamaica than in the Philippines which uses mostly motorbikes.

Also, Jamaican women are very forward when it comes to flirting, if they like you it will be very obvious. Unlike black American women they have a very keen interest in white guys. I've met several white guys that married Jamaican women and in all cases their wives pursued them very aggressively when they first met.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Lad Lad Lad! Damn u man, u beat me to the punch. I'm planning to visit Jamaica for first time next January. Maybe I better go Cuba instead lol.

Anyway, r u in Montego Bay area or Kingston? I've read latter is very dangerous and former is where most tourists go.

U must see some hot bodies there, is that true (by my standards)? Senegal and Nigeria actually have a decent percentage of hot to very hot girls.

Jamaicans can be extremely violent. They fight over respect issues and often the knives come out. I think even w the touts, u r not supposed to tell them to FO. They can get pretty damn angry. Is that true?

Also, I've read reports, some from a long time ago and others more recent, by white tourists who felt the local men are very racist against whites. Like they would frequently hear taunts kinda like what u say happened to u in Thailand. But so far, u don't feel any difference for being white or American there?

Do u think it would be easier the more attractive young women there or in DR as a white person?

How is the infrastructure and availability of western creature comforts?

U sure must be right about the hate for gay males. I've seen plenty of vids by now of dudes in west Africa being beaten and burned alive with tires for being gay. If u r gay, stick with Thailand, Phils., or even Taiwan. U will be in paradise lol.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Taco wrote:Judging from all the cars in your pic, the wages must be higher in Jamaica than in the Philippines which uses mostly motorbikes.

Also, Jamaican women are very forward when it comes to flirting, if they like you it will be very obvious. Unlike black American women they have a very keen interest in white guys. I've met several white guys that married Jamaican women and in all cases their wives pursued them very aggressively when they first met.
Yes, I've noticed. Seen very animated discussions and flirtings between Jamaican girls and white guys. Many also look at me with interest, come up to me and engage in conversations. It was such a refreshing experience to see them talk to me and stand close to me - same West African faces as Black Americans but behavior light years apart.

Personally I find African types attractive and the whole African race to be very beautiful- like chiseled from ivory. Too bad in the US they mostly exude deep mistrust and fear when they see me and making friends with them is very hard.

Funny but Jamaica is Anglosphere but they act nothing like other Anglo countries. And they give out very welcoming and inclusive vibes. Today I was swimming on the beach among a crowd of jet black people and noticed that it was nothing strange to me, and very natural. Because we all descended from Africans I guess we naturally feel like we are among our cousins.

Frankly I would feel very uncomfortable among black Americans in such a situation thinking that they would treat me bad.
Lad Lad Lad! Damn u man, u beat me to the punch. I'm planning to visit Jamaica for first time next January. Maybe I better go Cuba instead lol.

Anyway, r u in Montego Bay area or Kingston? I've read latter is very dangerous and former is where most tourists go...
Well, this is my 4th day and I am staying in a tourist area in Montego Bay. I don't speak or understand patois so I really don't know what's going on. I don't know what it would be like to live in a Jamaican neighborhood and deal with them on a daily basis.

The people here vary. You can find women who are very tall and some are short. Some are very black and some are light skinned. The variety is huge. All would be seen as Black in the USA, though.

The infrastructure-- a bit shabby, like an old section of Singapore and well, after 10 o'clock it's pretty dead and the town is kind of spread along this main road. This is not a big town but if this were the Philippines I guess there would be more services and more products because there are simply more people there and it's in Asia so it's kind of on the "cutting edge". Not here.

This is a nice place to visit but I don't think I'd want to live here long term.

I guess, Rock, you would fair well in both DR and here.
How does Jamaica compare to DR/Trinidad?
Never been to Trinidad but as DR is this Spanish colonial place and here, it's very British. I guess that's the main difference.
Last edited by ladislav on August 20th, 2013, 1:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

xiongmao wrote:
Can't believe that gay guys would make do with women though - there are homosexuals in all countries.
Jamaica and many parts of Africa are very dangerous places to be gay, trust me. They really need to keep it completely underground and even then, they are at great risk of being discovered and dealt with.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

How does Jamaica compare to DR/Trinidad?

Black women tend to get fat in their 20s
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Banano wrote:How does Jamaica compare to DR/Trinidad?

Black women tend to get fat in their 20s
Are you talking about American Black Women? Most guys I know that went to Jamaica for women say the exact opposite. My brother's wife is from there too and she is skinnier than my Chinese wife. One of my best friends lives in Trinidad. Women there are very skinny. At least from all the photos he shows me and from what he says.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 17th, 2020, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

That's right. It would not make any sense to live here unless you are rich. You get substandard services ( except the food) for prices around the US or higher. Taxi drivers will take you around in beat up cars with no meters for the same fares as in America, and I just asked my hotel if they had a laundry service and they said- No! I asked them what I should do- they told me to go to a laundromat at the mall. Can I go there on foot? No. Too far!

There's no bus to go there so you need to get a taxi- a beat up one with no meter- and pay them $15 for going there, waiting and coming back.

I went there and the laundromat asked me to go to the supermarket nearby to buy soap. WTF?

If I selected to stick my clothes in washing machines by myself I would have to pay $12 but if I had them do it, it was $15 for some 4 lbs of washables.

There was not a single restaurant at the mall. Imagine that!

But all the tourists seem very happy, smiling and walking around like they are in heaven. Weird!

I always complain about services in the Philippines but at least there it's all cheaper and services can be substandard, but they are available! Here, it's expensive but low quality and even a service is not available.

Anyway, I 'm here for swimming and I'll concentrate on that.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

ladislav wrote:That's right. It would not make any sense to live here unless you are rich. You get substandard services ( except the food) for prices around the US or higher. Taxi drivers will take you around in beat up cars with no meters for the same fares as in America, and I just asked my hotel if they had a laundry service and they said- No! I asked them what I should do- they told me to go to a laundromat at the mall. Can I go there on foot? No. Too far!

There's no bus to go there so you need to get a taxi- a beat up one with no meter- and pay them $15 for going there, waiting and coming back.

I went there and the laundromat asked me to go to the supermarket nearby to buy soap. WTF?

If I selected to stick my clothes in washing machines by myself I would have to pay $12 but if I had them do it, it was $15 for some 4 lbs of washables.

There was not a single restaurant at the mall. Imagine that!

But all the tourists seem very happy, smiling and walking around like they are in heaven. Weird!

I always complain about services in the Philippines but at least there it's all cheaper and services can be substandard, but they are available! Here, it's expensive but low quality and even a service is not available.

Anyway, I 'm here for swimming and I'll concentrate on that.
:lol:
Sorry to be laughing... sounds like a Seinfeld episode... "George Costanza goes to Montego Bay, mon!"
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I went to a pole dancing club- it was very dark because the main lamp on stage was not working. Could barely see who was dancing. Beers were $5, entrance fees were $10 ( not consumable). The girls were all 6 feet and up because of high heels and all looked like young Tina Turner wanna bes.

One girl asked to sit with me, I said 'no'- she called me a 'selfish bastard" and started throwing ice cubes at me from the bar. I had to move to the other side of the dark club to avoid the barrage of ice hitting me in the back.

The tourists night life if the Philippines and Thailand is way way better. Less expensive, more organized and way more generous.

I left the club after one hour.