Success story from Brazil! (with pics)

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
JohnDoe
Freshman Poster

Post by JohnDoe »

(snip)
Last edited by JohnDoe on March 16th, 2016, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnDoe
Freshman Poster

Post by JohnDoe »

(snip)
Last edited by JohnDoe on March 16th, 2016, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djeanp7898
Freshman Poster

Post by djeanp7898 »

JohnDoe wrote:more questions how much of the language did you know and where did you study from? I'm still interested in going to brazil, but I need to know all the prerequesites before I go.
I used this book...

And this website...

http://www.easyportuguese.com/

And I used Google Translate to learn how to say certain things and to hear the words spoken...

http://translate.google.com/

Just practice a little every day. When you get fatigued, stop and go at it again the next day.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

You can also use Pimsleur Portuguese (which is available at the library on CD-ROM). You might want to archive it from the disc. Reading and writing you definitely can use his book to help.
JohnDoe
Freshman Poster

Post by JohnDoe »

(snip)
Last edited by JohnDoe on March 16th, 2016, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djeanp7898
Freshman Poster

Post by djeanp7898 »

JohnDoe wrote:thanks for all the helpful information guys, is there anything else I should know as a first timer to brazil?

1.) You have to try the Açaí (pronounced ah-sah-EE) smoothie. Mmmm mmmm good!

2.) Don't carry more cash than you intend to spend.

3.) Make copies of your passport and carry one with you when you go out. Just in case something happens (probably won't).

4.) Rent an apartment. Hotels are more expensive. Also, some hotels won't allow you to have female company.
riorentals4less.com (ask for John). My apartment is in Copacabana 2 blocks from the beach.

5.) Don't wear expensive watches or jewelry if you go to the club areas like Lapa. Beach areas like Copacabana are okay.

6.) Get a local cell phone (the apartment manager above should provide you with one).

7.) Go online and try to find a few local friends to hang out with before your visit. I found 2 friends online 2 months before arriving and we hung out when I got here. Try BrazilCupid.com.

8.) Read "Bang Brazil" by Roosh V.

9.) Watch the video "Frustrated: Black men in Brazil" on YouTube. It's intended for a black audience, but that's the video that pushed me to finally make plans.

10.) Watch this. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ctRsSZN6ug

11.) Go to the Balcony Bar in Copacabana. Yes, there are "working girls" there, but it's a cool place for newbies.

12.) Street hustlers. Always try to negotiate prices. Some try to charge more for foreigners.

13.) Have fun!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

theprimebait wrote:I have family that lives in Brazil,from seeing their their wives ,I can vouche for this.brazilian women are very bubbly.they are fun to be around,
even if youre not wanting sex.they are just fun to be around.
I've seen this too.
scott529
Freshman Poster

Post by scott529 »

djeanp7898 wrote:
JohnDoe wrote:thanks for all the helpful information guys, is there anything else I should know as a first timer to brazil?

1.) You have to try the Açaí (pronounced ah-sah-EE) smoothie. Mmmm mmmm good!

2.) Don't carry more cash than you intend to spend.

3.) Make copies of your passport and carry one with you when you go out. Just in case something happens (probably won't).

4.) Rent an apartment. Hotels are more expensive. Also, some hotels won't allow you to have female company.
riorentals4less.com (ask for John). My apartment is in Copacabana 2 blocks from the beach.

5.) Don't wear expensive watches or jewelry if you go to the club areas like Lapa. Beach areas like Copacabana are okay.

6.) Get a local cell phone (the apartment manager above should provide you with one).

7.) Go online and try to find a few local friends to hang out with before your visit. I found 2 friends online 2 months before arriving and we hung out when I got here. Try BrazilCupid.com.

8.) Read "Bang Brazil" by Roosh V.

9.) Watch the video "Frustrated: Black men in Brazil" on YouTube. It's intended for a black audience, but that's the video that pushed me to finally make plans.

10.) Watch this. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ctRsSZN6ug

11.) Go to the Balcony Bar in Copacabana. Yes, there are "working girls" there, but it's a cool place for newbies.

12.) Street hustlers. Always try to negotiate prices. Some try to charge more for foreigners.

13.) Have fun!

This info is golden. Thanks for sharing. I'll also be a first-timer in Brazil and have been working hard to improve my Portuguese. My main hurdle with language learning is motivation. I just can't do the vocabulary lists, audio programs, and workbooks...well, not as my primary study method anyway. I need human interaction and feedback.

Fortunately, I stumbled upon a remedy which is related to point #7 above. About a month ago, I joined BrazilCupid.com.

When I find attractive women on Cupid, I small talk for a message or two and then ask for their Skype name. I want to practice my Portuguese, and they always wants to practice/improve their English. The result? I have endless face-to-face encounters with friendly, interested, gorgeous native speakers.

This method encourages me to speak and listen to real day-to-day vocabulary...and of course how to communicate with loved ones ("lindo/a", "querido/a", "amor", "coracao", and "anjo" are used all the time)

Most importantly, I'm motivated to learn new vocabulary & grammar. With a contact list of beautiful Brazilian "teachers" who giggle and blush at each new learned phrase, who wouldn't be?

While language exchange is not the same as being there, BrazilCupid + Skype sure beats the hell out of staring at word lists and phrasebooks.

Hope this helps.

Scott
Last edited by scott529 on August 24th, 2013, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

scott529 wrote:
........... I'll also be a first-timer in Brazil and have been working hard to improve my Portuguese. My main hurdle with language learning is motivation. I just can't do the vocabulary lists, audio programs, and workbooks...it's all too boring for me.

My goal is to speak the language, and I need human interaction and feedback. Fortunately, I stumbled upon a remedy which is related to point #7 above. About a month ago, I joined BrazilCupid.com.

When I find attractive women on Cupid, I small talk for a message or two and then ask for their Skype name. I want to practice my Portuguese, and they always wants to practice/improve their English. The result? I have endless face-to-face encounters with friendly, interested, gorgeous native speakers.

This method also teaches me the real day-to-day vocabulary...and of course how to talk to loved ones ("lindo/a", "querido/a", "amor", "coracao", and "anjo" are used all the time)

Most importantly, I'm motivated to learn new vocabulary & grammar. With a contact list of beautiful Brazilian "teachers" who giggle and blush at each new learned phrase, who wouldn't be?

While language exchange is not the same as being there, BrazilCupid + Skype sure beats the hell out of staring at word lists and phrasebooks.

Hope this helps.

Scott
"Hope this helps" ???

It sure as hell does!

Best advice I got all day!!
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

What's up with all these Brazilian women living in Ghana? I've been chatting online with Brazilian women all weekend, and it seems like they all live in Ghana now. It pisses me off when they say on their profile that their location is in Brazil, then they tell me later that they're actually in Ghana
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Hero wrote:What's up with all these Brazilian women living in Ghana? I've been chatting online with Brazilian women all weekend, and it seems like they all live in Ghana now. It pisses me off when they say on their profile that their location is in Brazil, then they tell me later that they're actually in Ghana
LOL I think this is so that they can hook you in. Not too many guys go on GhanaCupid.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Hero wrote:What's up with all these Brazilian women living in Ghana? I've been chatting online with Brazilian women all weekend, and it seems like they all live in Ghana now. It pisses me off when they say on their profile that their location is in Brazil, then they tell me later that they're actually in Ghana
Interesting. Do they speak Portuguese or Ghanaian? How is their English? Sounds crazy but those women are pretty damn good wife material. I would never date one though because I hate their country for beating the US in the last world cup. Cheating bastards!!! :evil:
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Jester wrote:
LOL I think this is so that they can hook you in. Not too many guys go on GhanaCupid.
LOL, yeah exactly. No way I'm going to visit a woman in Ghana, even if she is smoking hot.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

kai1275 wrote:
Interesting. Do they speak Portuguese or Ghanaian? How is their English? Sounds crazy but those women are pretty damn good wife material. I would never date one though because I hate their country for beating the US in the last world cup. Cheating bastards!!! :evil:
Their English is pretty good. So far I haven't been impressed by what I've seen on the internet. Maybe the good ones don't advertise
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

Hero wrote:
Jester wrote:
LOL, yeah exactly. No way I'm going to visit a woman in Ghana, even if she is smoking hot.
You can go mine gold in Ghana! :D

Everyone is doing it! :lol: