Steve's ongoing Philippines trip report (now with photos!!)

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
steve55
Junior Poster

Post by steve55 »

wow steve this is amazing but why does rock not get the interest you get? are you better looking than rock?

how cute are the girls you are dating?
Lol, rock asked me the same question. I just told him straight up that I'm much better lookin than him ;) And, he's just too white. Lol. Actually, Rock and I have met up several times now. Just by complete coincidence he was staying at a condo hotel right behind mine ! It's about 40 yards from me. All by total coincidence! And as Winston says, rock is a very private person. He doesn't talk about himself too much. But my guess is that he is CIA or some type of govt agent.

About the girls I'm meeting, they are young and thin. It's weird but I come across more young girls (early to mid 20's) than older girls. There seems to be more of them. I'll post some photos of the girls I've met here when I have time. I also intend to take some photos of cute girls at the mall too. I'll have to be discrete as people may be creeped out that I am taking their photos. I have to say, I don't think that Filipinas are better looking than Latinas , and they don't have the body that Latinas have, but if you are into "cute" and thin/petite, this is the place to be. There are a ton of girls 5' tall or less that weigh 70-90 lbs. Try finding that in America lol.

Another thing, there are surprisingly quite a few (white)foreigners here. And plenty of white girls too. That was unexpected.

One thing weird here is that the malls are full of winter type clothing. I'm not sure how that stuff sells or who buys them. Baguio is the only place I've heard if that gets even remotely cool, around 57 degrees Fahrenheit I hear. And the clothing selection is much better here. They have a much better selection of cool and hip style clothing to choose from.

Also, it's quite evident how much they love America. Every day I see them wearing shirts with something relating to the US on it or the US flag. Shirts with lettering referring to some USA city or state is also common as are New York ball caps and NBA shirts.

I've had a few girls hit me up for money after only 1 meeting. One suggested I donate to the typhoon relief fund that she is collecting for. Lol. Yea right. Lol. Another asked for help with a financial problem. It doesn't bother me I guess because I expect some of that based on my prior travels here. If anything, I find it amusing or entertaining that they think I would just hand over cash to someone I've met just one time.

Anyways, I've put a freeze on meeting new girls until I see how this other one I really like turns out. It would just distract me and I need to focus on for the main reason I'm here for. Im taking her to Baguio this weekend to get to know her better. It will be our 2nd mini vacation together. I just hope she talks more this time.
Seriously, don't expect the regular girls in Makati to openly flirt and smile with you. It's not that easy. Maybe massage girls, bar girls, ladyboys, and certain desperate types who are here temporarily from the provinces. But not regular local girls. Well maybe if they are drunk and your timing is right. But they are generally shy around strangers I think.
While what rock says is true, I'd say that most of the stares and attention I've gotten comes from the retail workers at the malls. Though I have had some girls just walkin the malls flirt with me too. Especially so when I was at the malls in olongapo. But yea, by far and large, most of the girls walkin the malls, at restraunts or Starbucks are not trying to flirt with me. Most of my luck comes from online dating sites.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

steve55
Junior Poster

Post by steve55 »

Was at mall of Asia today. I went with a friend (and his brother )who happens to be in my church and bible study class back home. I had befriended him years ago because of the fact he was Filipino, we clicked real good. It just so happened that his once every two year trip coincided with my trip. So it's been nice to hang out with a friend who is a local from Manila.

Anyways, while at the mall of Asia today, I got several more looks and smiles from passer Byers. So, I think what rock said about only lady boys , massage girls, bar girls or desperate types being the ONLY ones to show signs of flirtation or interest seems to not be wholly accurate. I mean, he is right that these groups he mentions will flirt and show interest, but so will some of the regular locals. Even my Filipino friend from church commented on it . But I'm too shy to do anything about it though lol, and I need to work on that. By far and large , most of the local attention I get here is primarily with the mall employees. When I'm out at the clubs or bars or even at Starbucks, I don't get any of that attention or interest . My best guess if that only the upper middle class or high class go to these places while the mall workers are more low or middle class. And the attention I got with the mall employees was thick and heavy in olongopo . And I mean long hard stares on some occasions. If I wanted to meet locals without having to use the Internet dating sites, olongopo malls would definitely be the place.

Lastly, it's amazing but I find myself attracted to about 50% of the women here simply because they aren't fat. Lol. I'm really not that picky when it comes to looks face wise . All I care about is that she be thin. And in the US that one criteria creates a hellish nightmare of epic proportions since so few women are thin. But here, everyone , and I mean EVERYONE is thin! Ok, to be exact, about 80-90%. I sit in Starbucks everyday right by a big glass window and it's just mind blowing to see thin girl after thin girl walking by. They all seem to be good looking! Lol. The fatty is a rare sight indeed. The ones who are fat are almost always older, like upper 40's to 60's. 90% of the under 40 crowd is thin . It's just amazing!

Disclaimer- nothing against fat girls, I'm just not able to find myself physically attracted to them. It is what it is and nothing I can do about it. I've never said anything insulting about overweight women, I'm just frustrated about it because I feel it is a big part a the reason I find it so hard to get dates here. (100% of the men chasing after the 25% pool of thin women- that's too much competition ). It's no different than the fact that 97% of women are not physically attracted to short men. (Studies confirm this by the way). Being overweight is a ohysical trait just as being short is, yet, our society says that men who don't date overweight women are shallow, but women who don't date short men are not. Right? Most American women seem to get really upset to hear Im not willing to date overweight women, and I don't ever criticize or make comments about them, I just simply state fact that I'm not able to be physically attracted to them , so I have to hide that fact. But men never ever get upset or out off when hearing me say that. Interesting. But I turn the tables on them and ask these women whether they would seriously date, be in a committed relationship or marry a man several inches shorter than them, they almost always say "well, probably not" , and they have nothing to say when I point that out. It always stops their shallow accusations dead in the water. Works every time.
Last edited by steve55 on June 22nd, 2014, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve55
Junior Poster

Post by steve55 »

Not much new to add except today I saw about 7 -10 Filipinos throughout the day with either an American flag on their shirt or for the Ladies, on their skirt. These people totally love American culture. They wear our flag 4 times as often as we do, that's for sure.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Keep the updates coming Steve! Glad you are in skinny girl heaven :)
steve55
Junior Poster

Post by steve55 »

Well, I ended up taking another trip with the Zambales girl. I just had to give us another chance given how dedicated she has been to me. And she is so sweet and humble too. Anyways, we spent 4 days in Baguio and unfortunately got the same result of her not talking much to me or being capable of holding a conversation. We would sit through breakfast and dinner with only me doing any talking. Several times I tried to nudge her into talking to me about something, anything at all. I'd ask her what she likes to do, what her goals in life are, what her friends are doing etc etc, and she just had very little to say. She admitted to me that she is also speechless a lot of the time even when she is with her friends and class mates. So, it's a ingrained personality trait and not just due to shyness (which shyness is something that would likely resolve itself in time). She is still begging me to see her again and give her a 3rd chance, as if she will suddenly be different the 3rd time around. I hate telling her no. It's especially hard to say no when she creates Facebook videos where she cries and says she would rather die than be apart from me and she is sobbing with tears running down her face about how much she is in love with me and cannot make it without me etc etc. she has fallen this hard for me in a matter of 3 weeks! But that's what province girls are capable of. They are the most emotionally vulnerable to getting attached of all the Filipinas. I'm considering letting her come see me for a few days here in Manila just to prove to her once again that she will not be able to change overnight and suddenly start having conversations with me. The trip to Baguio was supposed to be that 2nd chance and nothing changed on that trip. Sometimes I wonder if it's for the better because even Filipinos continue to guess her age anywhere between 16 to 20. She has the body of an average American 12-14 yr old with a baby face to boot. I'm 46! I have to admit we would look quite odd as a couple and would get a lifetime of stares as a couple. If Filipinos guess their own kind at that age, I can only imagine what Americans will guess her age at!

In the mean time, I've got several hot prospects to meet, with one being a elementary school special ed teacher. She is 27 and looks early 20's, and her braces are so cute. She wears feminine head bands and cute girlie skirts a lot which I just love on girls. She is very feminine. No man clothes like you often see with women in the US. From the classy way she dresses and the type of family and friends she has that I saw I Facebook , she is definitely upper middle class at minimum. So, I should be able to relate well when I meet her which we will do so at Starbucks this Friday.

I think I may have already mentioned the one girl I met that was cute but she asked for money right after we met. Lol. How dumb can she be? She should at least be smart enough to know that she needs to know me a little before even thinking of pulling that. I chewed her out for it and told her it's offensive and disrespectful to do that to me, especially when we have no relationship yet and only met once. She apologized and said she now sees my point of view and that she just thought I wouldn't mind helping out. Since she apologized , I gave her the benefit of the doubt and agreed to meet up with her again. I arranged a dinner date with her and when I arrived at the mall at our agreed meeting place, I see her with the whole tribe in tow! Lol. I'm thinking WTF? I suppose I was to treat her entire tribe of 6 (3 adults and 3 teenaged kids) to dinner. NOT!! Lol. I gave her a chance to explain and was hoping she would say they were leaving soon or something like that. But that wasn't the case so I just left. I shook her mom's hand and told her it was nice meeting her again but that something had come up and I needed to go. That was the end of that girl. My Filipino friend who is in the Phils with me and who grew up in Manila said that he viewed that as very improper. He acknowledged that this happens in the Phils but that it happens more when a guy is specifically meeting only 1 girl and is courting her specifically for marriage. This was not the case with me as I just casually met her online with no expectations of anything as of yet. So, I felt better about what I did (ditching her) after he told me she kind of deserved it for doing that. As it was, she already had brought her mom and sisters with her on the first meet up where I bought them all coffee and pastries .She didn't need to do it again on the personal dinner date.

I Had another issue with another meet up with a different girl. We had agreed to meet at 5pm. It was a 40 min cab ride in traffic for me and I took the care to leave an hour early just to be sure I wasn't late. I arrived around 4:50. I was waiting on her and texting her asking where she was and she kept on replying that she was on her way. This routine went on for almost an hour. So 5:45 rolls around and I I'm starring to get pissed. I texted her asking why she is so late and why didn't she warn me that she was going to be this late (out of respect if anything). She didn't answer me but just kept on saying almost there. At 4:55 I thought "f" this, I'm outta here. I texted her I was leaving and at 6pm she says she is at our meeting place at Starbucks. I could have easily turned back around but given she had no legitimate reason for being so late and especially since she never even apologized about it, I decided she wasn't worth my time and obviously doesn't respect my time either. I told her she doesn't have the character of anyone I would want to be with. So, the decision to not turn around was an easy one.
Maybe I'm a but harsh, I don't know. But I don't put up with much bullshit. I have no patience for it, unless someone shows remorse and apologizes, then in that case, I can put up with a lot when someone shows respect and consideration.

The other day I met a few banking execs in suits and ties at Starbucks who were in their early to mid 50's. These guys were unlike most Filipinos I've met. They talked and behaved American. As it turns out, they have all been to the US multiple times and have relatives there. When they heard the reason for my trip here, they eagerly offered to try to introduce me to some of the ladies working at their bank. They said they would keep me in mind whenever they might go out on the town or for their company's and other company Christmas parties. So, I may have a golden ticket to the middle to upper class ladies. That would be nice.

Lastly, after getting hit hard with $60 to $100/ night hotels, I just checked in to a hotel that costs only $35 a night. It's new, modern, has flat screen tv, great AC, 24 hour sports bar on site (10 flat screen tv's with mostly American sports games playing) with a bad ass menu selection and offers room service too! What more can a guy ask for? The only draw back and the only reason why it's so cheap is that the rooms are incredibly small. But heck, I can take that. Given that I may stay here for another 3 to 4 months , $35 a night is a MUST have! I understand I could get a condo for a similar price but I don't want to be committed. I want the flexibility to be able to up and go anytime I want in case I find a girl in some other part of the country that I want to go meet. Plus, with a condo, I'd have to set up utilities and hassle with utility bills and deposits, and what if the condo wifi or AC isn't to my liking, I'm stuck or at min have a hassle on my hands. Being able to check out anytime I want with no strings attached sounds much better to me. Plus, most condos do not have a 24 hour restraunt on site. I'm not one who knows how nor wants to cook! So, this hotel may be my home for quite a while. Plus, there are always taxis lined up out front which is really nice. Quite often taxis are impossible to get, depending on the time of day. I've often watched 100's of taxis pass me by all with passengers and finally had to give up and walk or wait quite a long time to eventually find one.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

you can give the mute girl another chance but she have to train reading loud every day on the morning for 10 days until you meet up again. then her talkings skills should be quite ok. she could also train karaoke. being hard broken sounds sad. nice report.
steve55
Junior Poster

Post by steve55 »

Wow! The banker I met at Starbucks a few days ago just sent me an invitation to join his family on Christmas Eve! Wow! I only met him once! Now that's some real Filipino hospitality! I'll have to bring something really special for them. Amazing huh?
Pocket
Freshman Poster

Making Friends

Post by Pocket »

If you have some time, meeting up would be great. I have no friends here and am starting to lose my mind! Lmao i just want some form of intelligent live conversation... I'll bring my gf along if you want to bring your gf/lady friend along. I'm losing my mind!
steve55
Junior Poster

Update

Post by steve55 »

I decided against giving mute girl a 3rd chance since even if she could force herself to talk more, it won't be in depth enough to make a big difference. She's just too simple, primarily because she is a province girl with little world experience and knowledge. That plus the fact that Filipinos think she looks 17-20 and Americans guessing her at 13 to 17 years old, not good if one doesn't want to be stared at alli he time. I'll eventually add photos in this blog later on when I have a pc. I'm not even sure how to add photos in the forum.

I've met a new girl who I think very well might be "the one". I'm taking a trip with her to tagaytay his week to see how she and I get along while traveling. Fact is, the obstacles and stresses of traveling will bring out the worse in someone if they have any faults or weaknesses in their personality. It's good to know what they are before pulling the trigger. I've met about 9 girls so far and none have made me feel like they are the one for me until this girl, though mute girl gave it a good running too. This new girl and I get along perfectly and more importantly, she converses well and intelligently! She is 23 and degreed. She and I think exactly alike on so many things. She is like a mirror reflection of myself, especially our beliefs about marriage and family. She is also extremely warm and affectionate which I've found few girls to match my level of affection but this one does ! She is soft and tender and deep with her affections, with deep eye contact too. She is very humble and somewhat vulnerable which I love. I cant stand pride or over confidence in a woman (like so many American women have in spades ) and she has none of that. She has the exact filipina qualities I've always wanted that many Filipinas don't have. What I mean is that she is the TYPE of filipina I've seen and experienced before but haven't found until now. And she wants to be married as badly as I do, maybe even more than I do. Lol. She latched on to me from the first profile sighting. She told me since day 1 that I was what she was looking for, (based on my profile which was quite long and detailed). She is very gung-ho to marry me. So far I feel the same about her but I realize we need to spend time together to make sure. So for now, Looking great! I'm very close to accomplishing what I came here for. Feeling hopeful now.
steve55
Junior Poster

Post by steve55 »

By the way, I love it here mainly because it's thin heaven here. It's impossible for me to not find a girl I like mainly because they are all so thin and that's all I need a woman to be.

I now know I'm not really that picky as long as a girl is thin. I find most women out here attractive whereas in the USA , the obesity epidemic makes me only attracted to about 10% of women.

You don't really get a sense if how much different the weight thing is until you travel to other countries.

THIN IS THE NORM OUT HERE!!!! It's wonderful and liberating to see.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Alright I have some questions because what you've said gets me aiming for that part of the world...

How old are you, and what age range would you say show the most interest? *sorry if you already said*

And if I was to show up in that part of the country, could a guy like me find a cheap gym, I can't do what I did in china and just melt...
steve55
Junior Poster

Post by steve55 »

magnum wrote:Alright I have some questions because what you've said gets me aiming for that part of the world...

How old are you, and what age range would you say show the most interest? *sorry if you already said*

And if I was to show up in that part of the country, could a guy like me find a cheap gym, I can't do what I did in china and just melt...
I'm 46 but look early 30's. I get interest from all ages it seems. (18 thru 50).

About the gyms, it sucks out here trying to find one. There is a gold's gym here in makati but they want multi month commitments or if not , $20/day. I won't lie to ya about the gym nightmare, you're unlikely to find one unless willing to pay multi month memberships. But as for me, I can live without the weight lifting , I just need to be able to run. There is a park in makati called the triangle where everyone goes to run and that's where I've been going to get my exercise. You breathe in quite a bit of pollution as the park is surrounded by traffic but oh well. It's better than nothing and it's free.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

steve55 wrote:
Lastly, after getting hit hard with $60 to $100/ night hotels, I just checked in to a hotel that costs only $35 a night. It's new, modern, has flat screen tv, great AC, 24 hour sports bar on site (10 flat screen tv's with mostly American sports games playing) with a bad a** menu selection and offers room service too! What more can a guy ask for? The only draw back and the only reason why it's so cheap is that the rooms are incredibly small. But heck, I can take that. Given that I may stay here for another 3 to 4 months , $35 a night is a MUST have!
Hmm, so you're staying in Makati Tune. You should have stayed in my place which has a substantially bigger room even if not quite as big as your room before. I would have given you a fantastic deal with full flexibility. But it's too late now lol.

My current tenant, a Filipino American who just left the navy, is staying several weeks. He moved over from Tune (where you are staying now) and I made a deal with him for under $25 a day, all in. He's got available room service decent air-conditioned gym with weights and treadmills, 3 pools, fully equipped kitchen plus 3 sized dining table, big flatscreen plus DVD player and cable, private Wifi, washer/dryer, full sized refrigerator/freezer, iron and ironing board, big wardrobe and lots of drawer and storage space, and all is new. After he checks-out, I already have another person lined-up with deposit paid for a full month. Basically, it's fully booked until I get back sometime in February.
steve55
Junior Poster

Post by steve55 »

@rock

Glad you got it rented out. It is a great deal but I felt the place was so small and dark and depressing. Yes, tune is small too and because of that I ended up moving out, well, and they jacked up the rate too. I only stayed there a week and now am staying at a hotel in Rockwell. I'm very pleased with this new hotel and plan to stay here indefinitely. I'm very sensitive to my environment so I'm sure most guys wouldn't feel as I did about your place lol. The rate is indeed awesome for what you get. I guess you'll be gone for a while and I'll probably be back in the states by the time you make it back to the Phils.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

steve55 wrote:@rock

Glad you got it rented out. It is a great deal but I felt the place was so small and dark and depressing. Yes, tune is small too and because of that I ended up moving out, well, and they jacked up the rate too. I only stayed there a week and now am staying at a hotel in Rockwell. I'm very pleased with this new hotel and plan to stay here indefinitely. I'm very sensitive to my environment so I'm sure most guys wouldn't feel as I did about your place lol. The rate is indeed awesome for what you get. I guess you'll be gone for a while and I'll probably be back in the states by the time you make it back to the Phils.
Well Rockwell is a fantastic area to stay in. Absolutely no riff-raff and minimal noise. And you are still fairly close to the Makati hotspots.

As for my place, you saw it at night and we had the lights dimmed down. The colors are actually bright and lots of natural sunlight comes in through the window during day if we open curtains. And there is great lighting if I turn them all up. Size wise, it is like twice the size of Tune.

Anyway, it sounds like you might finally have found the right one. If all goes well, you can bag her, tag her, and get her back to Dallas/Ft. Worth to start your new life. There are some things in the States that just aren't available anywhere else. I'm in SW Florida now and every day we get great sun and mid-70s/low 80s plus I'm very close to nice beaches. I think southern Texas would be nice too cus of weather and close proximity to Mexico.

So great luck with that girl. Just make sure she's not the type who would get easily corrupted by the American lifestyle. Do testing of her character there to see what she is all about.