I'm back from the Dominican Republic

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Hero
Experienced Poster

I'm back from the Dominican Republic

Post by Hero »

Just returned from a 5-day trip to the Dominican Republic. Spent most of my time in Santo Domingo, with one afternoon in Boca Chica. Although there are some awesome beaches and historical sites, I'm sorry to say that I didn't have much luck meeting women. I made arrangements ahead of time to meet with 4 women:

Woman #1 was gorgeous, even more beautiful than her photos. She looks a little like Halle Berry. And, she spoke good English. We went out for dinner 3 times, but I never got anything more than a peck on the cheek from her. She stiffened up when I put my arm around her, and when we walked together she kept her arms crossed so that I couldn't even hold her hand. Now, maybe it's just a cultural thing, that Dominican women take it very slowly in a relationship, but in my experience a woman who's serious about me will kiss me on the mouth by the third date. I won't be seeing her again.

Woman #2 agreed to spend the day with me, but when she showed up she made some excuse about being needed at work. We just had one lunch together, then she ran off and I never heard from her again. I ended up spending the day alone.

Woman #3 agreed to meet with me on Sunday, but flaked out on me entirely. When I texted her to arrange the details of our meeting, she never even replied.

I was supposed to have dinner with Woman #4 on Friday, but she was clearly a mental case, so I cut off all contact with her.

Now, I know that there must be women over there who are attractive, decent, and sane, but it probably takes a lot more than an internet search and a 5-day visit to find them. It's probably best to search multiple cities as well. Anyway, that's my 2 pesos worth about la Republica Dominicana.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I'm back from the Dominican Republic

Post by Rock »

Hero wrote:Just returned from a 5-day trip to the Dominican Republic. Spent most of my time in Santo Domingo, with one afternoon in Boca Chica. Although there are some awesome beaches and historical sites, I'm sorry to say that I didn't have much luck meeting women. I made arrangements ahead of time to meet with 4 women:

Woman #1 was gorgeous, even more beautiful than her photos. She looks a little like Halle Berry. And, she spoke good English. We went out for dinner 3 times, but I never got anything more than a peck on the cheek from her. She stiffened up when I put my arm around her, and when we walked together she kept her arms crossed so that I couldn't even hold her hand. Now, maybe it's just a cultural thing, that Dominican women take it very slowly in a relationship, but in my experience a woman who's serious about me will kiss me on the mouth by the third date. I won't be seeing her again.

Woman #2 agreed to spend the day with me, but when she showed up she made some excuse about being needed at work. We just had one lunch together, then she ran off and I never heard from her again. I ended up spending the day alone.

Woman #3 agreed to meet with me on Sunday, but flaked out on me entirely. When I texted her to arrange the details of our meeting, she never even replied.

I was supposed to have dinner with Woman #4 on Friday, but she was clearly a mental case, so I cut off all contact with her.

Now, I know that there must be women over there who are attractive, decent, and sane, but it probably takes a lot more than an internet search and a 5-day visit to find them. It's probably best to search multiple cities as well. Anyway, that's my 2 pesos worth about la Republica Dominicana.
1. A cultural thing, ha ha ha. Now that's a good one. If a Domincana has even the slightest amount of attraction to you and in some cases maybe even if she doesn't, she's gonna let you at least touch her quite a bit in public, embrace her in parks, etc. It won't be hard to kiss her too. Even one girl I met from a religious family (her dad is a preacher and their family life revolves around the Christian church community) who claims to be a virgin (and from the way she dresses and acts, I don't doubt her too much) was into touching, cuddling and kissing privately in my room while wearing a bikini right after a swim.

2. Tell a bit more about these 4 girls. No kids or single moms? What are ages?

3. Do you look as good and youthful as your online photos? If not, perhaps that's what caused #1 and especially #2 to behave the way they did. As for #1, it might also be the case of her thinking she wanted to romantically date a gringo like you (left brain) but in practice, she just couldn't pull-it-off (right brain) as it didn't feel right to her somehow on the dates.

I have no idea if there was anything in your behavior on those dates you did go on which caused the girls to feel uncomfortable. The one thing which seems certain is that your time there was too short to really figure out much of anything.

Anyway, I remember you mentioned you are going somewhere else again soon? Where is that again? Great luck on this next trip :)
TheLegendSeeker
Freshman Poster

Post by TheLegendSeeker »

Well, at least you got past online chat and move to actual date. I suppose that you are rushing things, you are already asking girls out and taking them to dinner without even making sure how they feel about you and if she's worth your time.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Re: I'm back from the Dominican Republic

Post by Hero »

Rock wrote: 1. A cultural thing, ha ha ha. Now that's a good one. If a Domincana has even the slightest amount of attraction to you and in some cases maybe even if she doesn't, she's gonna let you at least touch her quite a bit in public, embrace her in parks, etc. It won't be hard to kiss her too. Even one girl I met from a religious family (her dad is a preacher and their family life revolves around the Christian church community) who claims to be a virgin (and from the way she dresses and acts, I don't doubt her too much) was into touching, cuddling and kissing privately in my room while wearing a bikini right after a swim.

2. Tell a bit more about these 4 girls. No kids or single moms? What are ages?

3. Do you look as good and youthful as your online photos? If not, perhaps that's what caused #1 and especially #2 to behave the way they did. As for #1, it might also be the case of her thinking she wanted to romantically date a gringo like you (left brain) but in practice, she just couldn't pull-it-off (right brain) as it didn't feel right to her somehow on the dates.

I have no idea if there was anything in your behavior on those dates you did go on which caused the girls to feel uncomfortable. The one thing which seems certain is that your time there was too short to really figure out much of anything.

Anyway, I remember you mentioned you are going somewhere else again soon? Where is that again? Great luck on this next trip :)
OK, here's some more about the girls:

Number 1: 37 years old, no kids, has a bad case of "'baby rabies". Probably just wanted a sperm donor. Also never shows up on time for dates, but that's true of practically all women.
Number 2: 30 years old, one kid, but almost no knowledge of English. Also didn't look nearly as good in person as in her photos. No great loss there.
Number 3: 35 years old, 3 kids. Always telling me sob stories. First her grandma died, then she had to quit her job because she was being sexually harassed. Damn sexy, though.
Number 4: 29 years old, hot, no kids but a terrible conversationalist.

Yes, I look as good and youthful as my online photos. Everyone is astonished when I tell them that I'm 45.

Number 1 did mention that I seemed nervous. Oh well.

Next time I'm visiting the Philippines (for the third time). My luck is infinitely better with Filipinas.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

You're still aiming too low, and these girls know it. Go for what you want, rather than what you think you can get. Having a PhD doesn't make you some kind of leper, you know. But to take age out of the equation, you'll probably need to skip the online stuff, just show up on the ground and approach.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

gsjackson wrote: But to take age out of the equation, you'll probably need to skip the online stuff, just show up on the ground and approach.
Agreed, but that strategy would require a lot of time in the DR, which I don't have.
Where would I go to approach these girls? I have a feeling that I'd just find a bunch of ho's in the bars and clubs.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Hero wrote:
gsjackson wrote: But to take age out of the equation, you'll probably need to skip the online stuff, just show up on the ground and approach.
Agreed, but that strategy would require a lot of time in the DR, which I don't have.
Where would I go to approach these girls? I have a feeling that I'd just find a bunch of ho's in the bars and clubs.
Hey, I met Jeygonza just by approaching her as a stranger in Mega Centro. And she agreed to a first date the next day :)

And online can even produce some fruits if you play it out fully. If you want to find a serious gf, you need to spend a lot more time in country though. It takes time to make their acquaintance (find them), get to know them, and develop something. 5 days is a joke. You probably should have gotten together with Superman (from the recent vid posted about DR) and his wing and just mongered with them instead lol.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

Go for what you want, rather than what you think you can get.

THAT...is a formula for "outlier" kinds of results. "Realistic" expectations are often a formula
for failure and misery.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Sure wish that I still lived in Florida. Then going to the DR would just be a quick weekend trip.

Yeah, I've got to change my strategy and figure out how to live in a foreign country long-term. That's not easy. Even Ladislav wasn't able to pull it off. He's stuck in Ohio now because he can't make a decent living outside the USA, in spite of all his knowledge.
TheLegendSeeker
Freshman Poster

Post by TheLegendSeeker »

Rock wrote: Hey, I met Jeygonza just by approaching her as a stranger in Mega Centro. And she agreed to a first date the next day
Rock, girls don't seem to do that often, I am surprise you were able to pull that off with ease, you seem to have a sort of skill either that or the girl in question was already into you that's why things went smoothly. Why not elaborating more?
I wish you could give a 2 cents to my thread too.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

TheLegendSeeker wrote:
Rock wrote: Hey, I met Jeygonza just by approaching her as a stranger in Mega Centro. And she agreed to a first date the next day
Rock, girls don't seem to do that often, I am surprise you were able to pull that off with ease, you seem to have a sort of skill either that or the girl in question was already into you that's why things went smoothly. Why not elaborating more?
I wish you could give a 2 cents to my thread too.
I'm not a fearless approacher and strongly tend towards using online tools. But in DR, a significant percentage of girls are flirty even if they have no interest in you, perhaps a bit like what Winston got in Russia. I think they still at least enjoy getting attention from men.

If you approach girls in mall in Santo Domingo, especially a mid-market venue like Mega Centro, you will probably at least get some numbers. If your Spanish is decent, you might get some follow-up with some of them. But, as I've said in other posts, some girls there may be looking to skirt the line of getting money from guys for favors. So when you follow up on the numbers, you will get:

a. some who won't pick-up your calls/respond to your texts or are just not available to meet

b. some who are hoping you may reward them somehow for dating you (gifts, shopping, or even cash)

c. some girls who will date you no-strings attached, just like a real date or gf. Of course, you should still be the one to pay the tabs for meal, transport, etc.

Percentage of each group you end up with depends a lot on you (how you look, talk, and act), the kinds of girls you go for, and your luck.
Banano
Veteran Poster

Post by Banano »

and what is conclusion about DR women?

I dont see many people bragging about DR as much they do about SEA, maybe there are valid reasons for it.

Im not into p4p and sugar-daddying, not my cup of tea,only as last resort but I cant justify travelling that far away, spending $$ on tickets+accomodation just to end up with some favela hoe, you know what i mean. I could visit my local brothel, spend 80 bucks and I'm done.

How about regular chicks? Bars, pubs, nightclubs?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Banano wrote:and what is conclusion about DR women?

I dont see many people bragging about DR as much they do about SEA, maybe there are valid reasons for it.

Im not into p4p and sugar-daddying, not my cup of tea,only as last resort but I cant justify travelling that far away, spending $$ on tickets+accomodation just to end up with some favela hoe, you know what i mean. I could visit my local brothel, spend 80 bucks and I'm done.

How about regular chicks? Bars, pubs, nightclubs?
Most of that sort of bragging is invalid. Discount it down at least 70% cus that's what I see here on the ground as far as westerners young and old are concerned. So if people are not bragging about DR, that's not necessarily a bad sign.

I only spent limited amounts of time there, like 6 weeks over 2 trips. But I was quite pleased with what I was able to establish in that short amount of time w/combo of online and some cold approach or assisted cold approach. And I didn't even hit the clubs.

As I remember, you've said you tall, well built, and pretty decent looking at least. I could see a guy like you getting nowhere in States then going to DR and dating some genuine attractive young women who were not after what you could give them.

The richer types you see in the Americanized area of Santo Domingo are going to be the toughest nuts to crack. Maybe they're not even worth it, I don't know. But there's nothing wrong with regular middle class or even poorer (but not desperate) girls who've been raised with good values and take relationships seriously. Some of these girls are very attractive too.

One thing for sure. The percentage of attractive and very attractive girls in DR is much higher than say Philippines if you care at all about height and curves. If you localize, get some sort of work and lifestyle going on there so you appear to be based long-term, learn good DR style Spanish, and make friends and contacts, it might turn out to be a great place to find someone.

You must know, probably 99% of gringos who go there are just there to monger and have fun. Anyone who wants to dig deeper should try to get in touch with long term localized expats through the right forums, friends, etc. And by LT expat, I'm not talking about gringos who go down and settle in ho zones. I'm talking about those who make local friends, speak Spanish, work there, and date local girls if they are single.
Arabian_prince
Freshman Poster

Post by Arabian_prince »

How did you make arrangement with those women in advance ?
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

I have been twice to DR, I pretty much have used the P2P scene, although it is wide open if you spent some good time there, personally I got bored of Asian women after spending the past 7 years in Asia, its much like Chicken everyday, sure I don't mind occasionally but I want a mix