English teaching job acquired!

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Pictures?
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

Dude. Carry around a bottle of hand sanitizer, money, and immodium and should be good-to-go.
postscript: drinkin vitamin-C juices and eat meat (get your protein/amino acids in).
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

I've been eating a pack of been jerky a day or two to counter the lack of protein, I'd get street vendor meat, but the problem is it's too fatty, I'm annoyed at the lack of lean meats.

Went to the hospital for my physical today, lady stuck me in both arms, right one was dead, veins wouldn't show..I've grown unhealthy here in china.

I'm shrinking bad, but my muscle mass hasn't vanished ...YET.... I gotta get to a gym, I only have that 2 week window before bye bye muscle.

training is working, slowly, I"m getting better at using simple english for teaching the little kids, learning the lession plans, I almost got a entire class done by my self on japan, it's a difficult job, but at least your not preparing materials, it's on a projection smart board, makes things so nice, you just have to be more creative won on the floor though.

the women here don't even look twice at me, kinda a vibe just like back home, too many westerners, last night my buddy I made who's at teacher from the uk had us go to this ex-pat bar, it was a nice place, reminded me exactly why I left the usa...

I saw a lot of asian/white guy combo, ironically the most hot asian girls where with rather iffy looking guys, the super handsome guys seemed to be single, probably playing the field, I wont lie I envy them, Beijing must be like the Philippines to guys like that .

this canadian girl we work with, she acts like a ex meth addict, bitches about thing like lack of English at restaurants on menus, always trys to "take charge" and be the boss, reminding me once again why I left home.

I can't get out of this city fast enough, god willing chongqing wont be the same.

on a nice note, this 5'8 Canadian guy who is skinny fat long hair and yellow teethe has a rather attractive looking girl he'll be asking to marry him later this year, so it can be done, he has been in china for 3 years though, so we'll see, hopefully I'm invited to the wedding heheh

all in all, I'd say this trip has been hard from the start and will continue to be difficult, once I land in chongqing and get the first 2 weeks out of the way, I may jut see the light at the end of the tunnel

delt out 633 rmb today for my medical check, i'll have to give 15k for my apartment housing, they'll take that away from my pay though, if I had that much money I wouldn't be going to work for a school in china.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Hey, Magnum...

I just recently got a job with a well-known chain of English training centers throughout China, which will allow me to stay in Shenzhen after my current contract is up in June.

I hope Chongqing grows on you--as has Shenzhen has grown on me! I used to complain about the place, but strangely...I'm starting to like the place. Who knows...maybe Chongqing with begin to grow on you too...
Last edited by zboy1 on March 31st, 2014, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Yeah, I don't think chongqing will be a problem, I think I just need to first get out of Beijing, it probably would have more charm if I had a base of friends here I knew.

It seems like any other city, if you are rich, its your playground.
Pinaylover
Freshman Poster

Background Check

Post by Pinaylover »

Magnum, once you receive the invitation letter, you will need to get it processed at the nearest Chinese embassy where you live. You will also need a background check (China just instituted that requirement last year) and a copy of your college degree. (I know yours is forged, but don't despair: I know several foreigners with fake college degrees).
Great... so a career criminal like me can't get approved for a visa? No felonies but I have several misdemeanors.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Background Check

Post by zboy1 »

Pinaylover wrote:
Magnum, once you receive the invitation letter, you will need to get it processed at the nearest Chinese embassy where you live. You will also need a background check (China just instituted that requirement last year) and a copy of your college degree. (I know yours is forged, but don't despair: I know several foreigners with fake college degrees).
Great... so a career criminal like me can't get approved for a visa? No felonies but I have several misdemeanors.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....that might be a problem, pinaylover. It seems like all these Asian countries are starting to crack-down on who can come into their countries, much more so than in the past....Which sucks for people like you, unfortunately.
Pinaylover
Freshman Poster

Post by Pinaylover »

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....that might be a problem, pinaylover. It seems like all these Asian countries are starting to crack-down on who can come into their countries, much more so than in the past....Which sucks for people like you, unfortunately.

Well, there is always Thailand... Yeah it sucks because the only thing I really got on my record is alcohol & traffic offenses. I am not a real criminal I just like to drink.

So if you have a criminal record you can't enter China as a tourist? that doesn't sound right
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Pinaylover wrote:

Well, there is always Thailand... Yeah it sucks because the only thing I really got on my record is alcohol & traffic offenses. I am not a real criminal I just like to drink.

So if you have a criminal record you can't enter China as a tourist? that doesn't sound right
Oh, I thought you meant teaching English in China or getting a permanent residency Visa. If you're here just as a tourist, a minor misdemeanor shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Pinaylover
Freshman Poster

Post by Pinaylover »

Oh, I thought you meant teaching English in China or getting a permanent residency Visa. If you're here just as a tourist, a minor misdemeanor shouldn't be that big of a deal.

in time all things can be over come with "mianzi"
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Well, my flight to chongqing has been booked by the company I work for.

I'm not sure how to feel about it, I know my teaching ability isn't up to par yet, hell my traini9ng isn't even done yet...but I guess it's in the bag, I feel a little bad about it, because I feel I need more training, I bombed really badly the last 2 classes I had, I don't think I"m ready, but I guess it's of no difference to the company, I sure don't feel right teaching yet.

On the flip side, I have friends and around 2 to 3 ladies that seem excited to see me, they've been helping me out wit housing too.

I hope to find some really attractive ladies in chongqing, not just attracted to untrained western eyes, but real beauties, if I can even get ONE date I know I'll be able to keep their interest, though I've been warned by a fellow teacher never to date models they tend to be bitches, but that's probably true no matter the country
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

magnum wrote:Well, my flight to chongqing has been booked by the company I work for.

I'm not sure how to feel about it, I know my teaching ability isn't up to par yet, hell my traini9ng isn't even done yet...but I guess it's in the bag, I feel a little bad about it, because I feel I need more training, I bombed really badly the last 2 classes I had, I don't think I"m ready, but I guess it's of no difference to the company, I sure don't feel right teaching yet.

On the flip side, I have friends and around 2 to 3 ladies that seem excited to see me, they've been helping me out wit housing too.

I hope to find some really attractive ladies in chongqing, not just attracted to untrained western eyes, but real beauties, if I can even get ONE date I know I'll be able to keep their interest, though I've been warned by a fellow teacher never to date models they tend to be bitches, but that's probably true no matter the country
Well good luck, guy. All jokes aside.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

How can the Chinese check up if you've got a criminal record? Like the US government will share that sort of info with the Chinese government.

Try and find some older teachers to mentor you. There were a couple of retired professors I helped out when I was there and I saw all their brilliant classroom games and activities. The students were in awe of them.

If anyone is going abroad to teach English I'd recommend you take hundreds of photos of home (or other countries you've visited) to show your class.

As to ladies, 10's are a pain in the *ss - just pump and dump. I dated a tremendously hot woman in Bangkok. But ask yourself this - if she was so hot, why did her ex cheat on her relentlessly?

It is good for the ego to date the hottest ones though. You'll know they're hot because you start getting noticed - like a hot woman must get all the time.

Anyway, on another subject entirely, Thailand is OK - it's full of law abiding citizens. After Falcon left I drank beer on Soi 4 with a girl who had a taser in her handbag at a bar that was selling moonshine opposite some police who were also drinking beer. Good times.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

xiongmao wrote:But ask yourself this - if she was so hot, why did her ex cheat on her relentlessly?
Because he could! lol.
It's just the numbers, if they favor YOU. :twisted:
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Today is the last day of my training, I will be doing 5 classes, 1 of them will randomly be graded.

Though the company having already got my ticket more or less proves they don't quite give a damn how well you teach, as I could fail hard and still have a flight to chongqing, I at least have the flight number, truth is if I did "fail" I'd still hop the plain to chongqing, I'm sure I would find a job in 30 seconds after landing.

Things are going to be so much better once I leave Beijing, it's like being in planet china town in California, quality of the culture has been sucked out and replaced with the same depressing western attitude, you get a few accretions, but most the people are the same, nothing like Shenyang when I was in china last.

having my smart phone hacked so I can get a chinese plan on it, though apparently it might be trashed, I know it's a risk when they jail break the phones, I got it right before I knew I was leaving for china...hope it's still alive, I gotta pick it up before tomorrow or it's gone.

I don't have a single pair of clean cloths and the washer here isn't so great, I'm a little worried about getting a entire load of cloths done and dry before 3 pm tomorrow, I may just pack dirty cloths and pray I have a washer in chongqing!