Why Manila, Bangkok, or Other City to Live?

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Why Manila, Bangkok, or Other City to Live?

Post by WorldTraveler »

I'm curious why you chose the city you live in. First if you live in Bangkok or Manila why did you choose it over a different city? I actually do not prefer either and prefer a second tier city. I have friends that live in both of these large cities though. I find both a little too much traffic, more expensive, and the women a little harder and less friendly. I'd love get your input. :D

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Why Manila, Bangkok, or Other City to Live?

Post by MarcosZeitola »

I say avoid the cities and go more rural\suburban. Fresh air and clean living are important, you brave Manila traffic on a daily basis and when you blow your nose the paper will be black. It's that bad.

City life, though admittedly fun for a while, is hugely overrated IMO. To each their own & can't argue taste, but yeah. Cannot comment on Bangkok or any other city in Thailand, as I've never been there. It may be different, it may not be, don't know. Overall I don't think it's good for one's health or level of stress. It'll probably shorten your life by at least a couple of years to live in a place so stressful, overcrowded and dirty.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

WorldTraveler wrote:I'm curious why you chose the city you live in. First if you live in Bangkok or Manila why did you choose it over a different city? I actually do not prefer either and prefer a second tier city. I have friends that live in both of these large cities though. I find both a little too much traffic, more expensive, and the women a little harder and less friendly. I'd love get your input. :D
So far I've had better luck in first tier cities during my periods living in Taipei, Bangkok, and Makati.

1. Highest concentrations of western or upscale foreign style consumer options (food, furniture, condos, hi-end neigborhoods and business districts)

2. A much larger concentration of educated locals and expats in certain areas.

3. At upper middle to high end, best looking and/or, more educated, and/or taller girls and/or classier girls available including transplants from all over country. Also a higher percentage of educated and refined middle class girls to.

4. More convenience.

5. Best medical facilities and doctors available.

6. Best unis available.

7. Much more anonymity.

8. Proximity to largest international airport.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Post by newlifeinphilippines »

Rock how great do you think a white guy could do in davao or some off the cuff city for meeting women and attention? Did you notice increased attention that would make it worth it? I never go off the cuff without a partner so i dont know what it slike to go outside tourist areas alone. Perhaps guys like globetrotter and me who aren't the most sociable should go wandering around in the cities or provinces where there are no foreigners? the biggest problem i have is there is lack of hotels and infrastructure and security but in some of the cities they have that as long as you dont go too far out
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:Rock how great do you think a white guy could do in davao or some off the cuff city for meeting women and attention? Did you notice increased attention that would make it worth it? I never go off the cuff without a partner so i dont know what it slike to go outside tourist areas alone. Perhaps guys like globetrotter and me who aren't the most sociable should go wandering around in the cities or provinces where there are no foreigners? the biggest problem i have is there is lack of hotels and infrastructure and security but in some of the cities they have that as long as you dont go too far out
Perhaps I'm kinda insensitive to being looked at or stared at by others. But in public, I feel I'm virtually ignored whether it be in say Powerplant Mall in Rockwell, Gaisano of Davao, SM City Naga or even Robinsons in Santiago. I'm sure I'm noticed more in the latter two the way a black person might be noticed in the middle of a shopping district in a very white bread USA community. But it's meaningless.

However, when someone takes you into the provincial neighborhoods, you are more likely to get attention, especially from kids and curious neighbors. This is much less the case in a metro Manila barrio. But in general, Filipinos have been exposed enough to westerners not to gawk at them or pay them abnormal attention the way a white (or even more so black) person would probably have received in China say 15 years ago.

If you wanna know about Davao, Will N. Dowd is your man. He's the expert. IMO, it's slim picking down there relative to what's available in Metro Man. But he has more typical white guy taste so I suppose it's a win-win (girls who have a harder time getting quality local paired with guy who doesn't wanna deal w/challenges of pursuing prettier and/or more educated girls).
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

I am living in Tokyo, and I think the choice which city fits you best depends on your circumstances. It is a big difference if you still have to earn money or if you are retired receiving allowances.

I am getting now tired of Tokyo and my Japanese wife too. We both are clearly not into rural life-style, but to move away from Tokyo to a smaller internationally not significant city is what we will do after my retirement.

We will also spend winter-time in our second home in Pattaya. We are not interested in Bangkok. I will continue to visit my Filipina fosterdaughter in Cebu City, but I am not interested into Manila.

If you have enough own money and do not depend on employment, there is no reason to live in large cities in Japan or Thailand etc...
Smaller cities can offer often a very comfortable life, 'somewhat in the middle' between a large city and a rural area - but there are often no jobs available there, especially no jobs for a foreigner.
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Rock wrote:
newlifeinphilippines wrote:Rock how great do you think a white guy could do in davao or some off the cuff city for meeting women and attention? Did you notice increased attention that would make it worth it? I never go off the cuff without a partner so i dont know what it slike to go outside tourist areas alone. Perhaps guys like globetrotter and me who aren't the most sociable should go wandering around in the cities or provinces where there are no foreigners? the biggest problem i have is there is lack of hotels and infrastructure and security but in some of the cities they have that as long as you dont go too far out
Perhaps I'm kinda insensitive to being looked at or stared at by others. But in public, I feel I'm virtually ignored whether it be in say Powerplant Mall in Rockwell, Gaisano of Davao, SM City Naga or even Robinsons in Santiago. I'm sure I'm noticed more in the latter two the way a black person might be noticed in the middle of a shopping district in a very white bread USA community. But it's meaningless.

However, when someone takes you into the provincial neighborhoods, you are more likely to get attention, especially from kids and curious neighbors. This is much less the case in a metro Manila barrio. But in general, Filipinos have been exposed enough to westerners not to gawk at them or pay them abnormal attention the way a white (or even more so black) person would probably have received in China say 15 years ago.

If you wanna know about Davao, Will N. Dowd is your man. He's the expert. IMO, it's slim picking down there relative to what's available in Metro Man. But he has more typical white guy taste so I suppose it's a win-win (girls who have a harder time getting quality local paired with guy who doesn't wanna deal w/challenges of pursuing prettier and/or more educated girls).

Then it sounds like id be wasting my time going to provinces. Maybe ill go to smaller cities or davao just out of curiosity someday but with will n dowds experience and what others say it doesn't sound like its easy there either.

What is the best scenario for socially lacking guys on a multi month vacation? Dating sites are really a scam and too many flakes. Church takes time and there isn't a flood of hotties in them and i feel awkward trying to hit on them or have an agenda.

I originally thought angeles was the best cause i got a lot of attention there. Did you get alot of attention in angeles? Its hte only city i thought but then i assume a lot of those workers there will go with any foreigner guy or be on dating sites so that could be an issue. This one cute young waitress i know though probably wasn't like that. I think i could have hit on her. Some of the hotel workers were cute and sweet who knows if they were available. I think if there is one city for a shy guy to practive day game wouldn't angeles be the best place?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

newlifeinphilippines wrote:
This one cute young waitress i know though probably wasn't like that. I think i could have hit on her. Some of the hotel workers were cute and sweet who knows if they were available. I think if there is one city for a shy guy to practive day game wouldn't angeles be the best place?
So what exactly does a good girl have to do to get you to hit on her?

Honestly I dont think this is a LOCATION issue, I think this is an issue of getting comfortable with day-game at restaurants, hotels... and church.

Maybe take some of those Black-Hat dollars saved up, and invest in a one-on-one PUA tutorial just about low-key day-game -- openings and first dates.

Patriarchal society is scarce, there are no traditional matchmakers or community folk dances. If guys don't learn to open a conversation and ask girls out, the human race may vanish.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Rock wrote:
So far I've had better luck in first tier cities during my periods living in Taipei, Bangkok, and Makati.

1. Highest concentrations of western or upscale foreign style consumer options (food, furniture, condos, hi-end neigborhoods and business districts)

2. A much larger concentration of educated locals and expats in certain areas.

3. At upper middle to high end, best looking and/or, more educated, and/or taller girls and/or classier girls available including transplants from all over country. Also a higher percentage of educated and refined middle class girls to.

4. More convenience.

5. Best medical facilities and doctors available.

6. Best unis available.

7. Much more anonymity.

8. Proximity to largest international airport.
Rock your arguments are compelling for a man who is looking for Miss Right or playing the field.

Though for raising a family I guess Marcos's POV makes sense.

But what about the air quality, and rumored smell of Manila?

I hear about how bad the air is in Manila, Beijing and Shen Zhen, but its hard to know what to compare it to.

Is air quality (or odor) ever an issue for you?

Re blowing one's nose, and the handkerchief being black, I used to get that when doing outdoor stuff all day. I just assumed it was dirt/dust, not necessarily a bad thing.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster

Jester wrote:
This one cute young waitress i know though probably wasn't like that. I think i could have hit on her. Some of the hotel workers were cute and sweet who knows if they were available. I think if there is one city for a shy guy to practive day game wouldn't angeles be the best place?
So what exactly does a good girl have to do to get you to hit on her?

Honestly I dont think this is a LOCATION issue, I think this is an issue of getting comfortable with day-game at restaurants, hotels... and church.

Maybe take some of those Black-Hat dollars saved up, and invest in a one-on-one PUA tutorial just about low-key day-game -- openings and first dates.

Patriarchal society is scarce, there are no traditional matchmakers or community folk dances. If guys don't learn to open a conversation and ask girls out, the human race may vanish.
I agree its not really a location issue, but heck ill take any edge i can get at this point LOL

I dont think those PUA stuff is gonna help me though. PUA is for guys who already are attractable to women in the first place but just need some coaching. Hell even being to the philippines didn't really help my confidence with striking up conversations with women.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

I dont think those PUA stuff is gonna help me though. PUA is for guys who already are attractable to women in the first place but just need some coaching. Hell even being to the philippines didn't really help my confidence with striking up conversations with women.
I dont think all "game" teachers are all about being flashy, well-dressed, smooth, or ONS's.

I think a lot of the bread-and-butter of their industry is just ordinary guys who are not high school jocks, or salesmen.

Toastmasters might be a great place to start. It's free and very supportive.

Plus, Dale Carnegie is the grandad of this stuff. LOTS of men took his course, learned a firm handshake, to look people in the eye, to put the other person at ease, etc.
http://www.dalecarnegie.com/events/programfinder/
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I loved living in Guangzhou, but it was too crazy for words.

Bangkok had cheap accommodation, great food, English was widely spoken and it was easy to find stuff like good shoes that fit. On the downside I suffered a bit from living for an extended period of time in the world's hottest city. At least Guangzhou had some cool days, whereas it was hot every single day (and night) I was in Bangkok.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.