Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 11th, 2018, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Re: What is the most important thing you've learned being abroad?

Post by CannedHam »

I learned how much big US cities suck compared to places like LA/SF/Chicago have nothing on Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, even most Chinese T1 cities. A bunch of crime infested, poorly run, thug ridden shitholes.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

I wonder how easy and practical it would be to live in 2 countries.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 11th, 2018, 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

CannedHam wrote:
August 4th, 2018, 4:14 pm
I learned how much big US cities suck

places like LA/SF/Chicago have nothing on Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, even most Chinese T1 cities. A bunch of crime infested, poorly run, thug ridden shitholes.
Then why do Asians from those very cities keep coming to America! and Canada and Australia.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

HappyGuy wrote:
August 9th, 2018, 10:10 pm
CannedHam wrote:
August 4th, 2018, 4:14 pm
I learned how much big US cities suck

places like LA/SF/Chicago have nothing on Hong Kong, Singapore, Tokyo, even most Chinese T1 cities. A bunch of crime infested, poorly run, thug ridden shitholes.
Then why do Asians from those very cities keep coming to America! and Canada and Australia.
I don't exactly see hoards of Japanese and Singaporeans dying come live in the US. Hong Kong is a bit different, largely due to the astronomical COL that they can't fully control (thanks to mainland Chinese snapping up all the housing).

And most that do come live in nice suburbs with good schools, not urban areas.
fdiv
Freshman Poster

Post by fdiv »

Ghost wrote:
August 4th, 2018, 2:44 pm
I learned that there is a balance to everything and that you can never have everything you want in one place and situation. This isn't only about living abroad, but applies to life in general.

For example, you want a bigger, better dating pool, so you move to a major city. The options are better, but the city is a soulless rat race where people aren't friendly and never stop to relax and enjoy life.

Or another example, you get a job you love, but the area is a social and dating wasteland.

There are always sacrifices to make, where ever you go, whatever you do.
That there's no substitute for actually going overseas to experience it. Yes you can research information online about a place but information is not knowledge. As a result, once you get beyond very basic information about a place, everything becomes distracting noise. There are so many trolls and biased people that it's best to ignore the bullshit to avoid the negative influence it will have on you (doubt, etc).

One good example is "oh all filipinas only want you for your money". Hm......
Funny, because there was a friend of girl I was with that kept wanting to "boom boom" with me, which I kept politely refusing. Finally after a few days of that I just offered to give her some money flat out, just to help her (yes the same amount) and to stop her nagging. Guess what, she didn't just take the free money and kept bugging me for "boom boom", jeez! LOL! Isn't that funny? That's 100% proof (unless you reject my story) that ALL filipinas JUST want your money (and have no attraction to YOU).

There's tons of other BS I heard about but didn't experience personally or thought wasn't that big of a deal. I didn't think the pollution was really THAT bad in Angeles. Most of the "scams" were just typical commercial crap you experience here in the US (extra surprise fees, etc). Pretty easy to avoid.
options in the US: maybe have a shot at a angry bluehaired landwhale and then, prison :roll:
options abroad: limitless 8)
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

I learned that worrying is even worse than dealing with bad things that happen.

And from that feeling of "Why didn't I try this sooner?" I learned it's better to live and learn and make mistakes than to hesitate and plan too long to travel. Time is ticking away and we're all getting older. If your life is going nowhere then visit some new places, the moment will never be just right.

Return to “Trip Reports, Travel Experiences, Expat Stories”