How not to lose stuff

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

How not to lose stuff

Post by ladislav »

I've lost a lot of things over the years. Especially, when you go thru airport security, take things out, put them back in, out, in, another security, etc. Tired, into a taxi, fall asleep. Lose something. Onto a motorcycle. The wallet falls out. The phone slips out. How do you prevent or reduce loss?

Spiral chains are paramount. You can attach to all kinds of things. Reduces loss.

A vest with lots of inside pockets and a ray-blocker. For some reason, in the USA, - and anywhere else for that matter- it is hard to find clothes with inside pockets/hidden pockets. Especially with zippers. You can find lots of vests with outside pockets- for hunting and fishing- and travel, but what good are those? They can steal from out if they are outside.

Here it is inside out.

https://ibb.co/NKfSc4v

for some reason, the image does not show

There seems to be only one major company that makes them: Scottevest. And they are expensive. $50 used! Up to $300 new. I have a Sudanese one with four inside pockets- but only two zipped.

A wallet with a chain. You can also attach a spiral from those above. Makes your wallet hard to steal and also, if it falls down, you'll know it,

Fanny packs/slingbags. For some reason, not very popular in the USA and can get you labeled a weirdo or call you gay or think you are carrying a gun in them. But these are a daily gear in Europe and Asia because you have to carry so many items with you nowadays.

These are pretty good, but one can still slash them off of you or you can get drunk and forget them somewhere. Also, after a while, you feel like you are carrying a coloscopy ( sp.) bag.

After coming back from overseas, I still can't figure out how American men carry a cellphone, a wallet, the keys, the passport etc. I see them go on a plane, just a shirt and jeans- nothing else. Just in the pockets?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
jeniferbet
Freshman Poster

Re: How not to lose stuff

Post by jeniferbet »

Thank you for the recommendation, this is exactly what I need