Making Money Online and Generating Passive Income

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is some step by step free information about building a niche site and profiting from it.

http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/how-t ... iche-site/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

-----

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

As I know, there are several primary ways one can make money online:

1. Provide a product or service that people are willing to pay for.
2. Serve as an online middle man and outsource work to others, and earn a cut from it.
3. Provide good web content that draws significant regular traffic. Then earn advertising revenue and affiliate commissions from that web traffic, and product/service sales as well. (that's what I do)
4. Do freelance work for others, such as freelance writing, editing, video editing, etc. on a contractual basis.
5. Provide some kind of personal service, such as consulting, teaching English to foreign students via Skype, etc.

By the way, check this out. The owner of the free dating site, http://www.plentyoffish.com, Markus Frind, claims to make $10,000 A DAY just from paid Google links. Would Google really pay him that much, $10k a day, even if he had millions of people coming to his site everyday? Is that farfetched or realistic? That seems like an awful lot, even if you did have millions of hits everyday. Here is a story about him and his $10k a day income on YouTube:

An article about him in the NY times about making $10 million a year from his website.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/busin ... wanted=all

What do you think?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Residual income...

Post by Winston »

Ghost wrote:
polya wrote:AMWAY was real big in the 1980s as a way to make residual income, it failed for 99% of people. Most schemes will have similar chance of success. Certainly, thinking you'll make enough money to have a playboy lifestyle, travelling the world in your first year is virtually impossible. If you can't get a well paid job in your new country, you'll be better off staying home & only going on "sex-tour" holidays...
Yeah, I have actually been approached by an Amway scammer before. I mean, it COULD work, theoretically, if you can keep recruiting people into the cult and therefore profit. And if you can find plenty of suckers to buy that crap.

Obviously, not going to work for most. It's a de facto scam, if not technically one. And the members are cult-like too, apparently. Very unsettling.
Yeah true. Making money by teaching others how to make money, without any real product or service to sell, is kind of unethical and deceptive. I mean, sure, Amway has products, but they are not the main product. If they were, then it'd be a direct sales company. Also, they make false promises and everyone in it exaggerates about their income.

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 27th, 2016, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 22nd, 2016, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ghost wrote: I changed the ad placement and other things as per your suggestions. I also added some other things under those, including a donation button. Do you think that is OK or a bad idea?

I guess I really need my own domain too then. I can write and create lots of good content, so I guess I really do need my own site. How do you like squidoo.com for making money? That was the main site I wanted to write for. But I think that things won't really come together for me if I don't get my own website and put my best stuff there, and then display it around the web. I joined a freelance site, but haven't gotten any work there yet. I have a job, so I don't have to rely on that while I'm building up passive income.
Your blog placement looks better now. But why did you put a small rectangle ad in the right sidebar area rather than a skyscraper ad? That's a waste of space. You should put one of the 120x90 or 160x90 skyscraper ads there.

A donation button makes you look a little desperate, plus very few or no one will donate too, so I'd leave it off there. But you can leave it on if you want. It won't hurt.

I don't know anything about squidoo. There are lots of freelance sites. Try other ones. Have you tried http://www.demandstudios.com? Phoenix Sosa says he does well with them.

Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Winston wrote: By the way, check this out. The owner of the free dating site, http://www.plentyoffish.com, Markus Frind, claims to make $10,000 A DAY just from paid Google links. Would Google really pay him that much, $10k a day, even if he had millions of people coming to his site everyday? Is that farfetched or realistic? That seems like an awful lot, even if you did have millions of hits everyday. Here is a story about him and his $10k a day income on YouTube:

An article about him in the NY times about making $10 million a year from his website.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/busin ... wanted=all

What do you think?
I believe that. POF is pretty popular. This guy was pretty savvy to create a dating site and then establish it in an oversaturated market.

You should read up on Hotornot.com and the founder. That site didn't seem like it would turn out that much money but he built it up and then sold it for a huge payout.

I don't believe that other guru you posted who says he made thousands each day off of his ebook though. :lol:
Winston
Site Admin

2 quotes about the insanity of working

Post by Winston »

For those of you trying to generate passive income, here are some great inspirational quotes I found that justifies your venture as being sane and rational.

"What's the point of working to make a living, if most of your living consists of working?" - Pat Flynn, Passive Income Guru

"When you work for someone, you trade time for dollars. But if you invest your time into creating a business, you produce a cash flow operation that works for YOU!" - Pat Flynn, Passive Income Guru

"Active vs. Passive income: With active income, when you stop working, you stop getting paid. But with automated passive income, when you stop working, you still continue getting paid! That equals Freedom!" - Key point on many passive income websites

So true when you think about it, isn't it? And it makes so much sense too. Why live as a slave, instead of trying to find a way out of it so you can be free?

Feel free to forward these quotes to everyone you know.
Last edited by Winston on December 31st, 2011, 11:08 am, edited 4 times in total.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a post I wrote on the David Icke forum about why making money online is simple in concept, but not in practice:

"It's only simple in concept. But in practice, it's another matter. You have to offer something that people are willing to pay for, such as a product or a service. Or you have to have very good content on your website that draws traffic so you can put ads on it and make money, and affiliate commissions too.

This site is a good example of a site with great content that draws a ton of traffic and makes good ad revenue. It also offers David Icke's books, which his fans are willing to pay for, and makes money from that too. So it offers content and products.

Not everyone can just start a site and do that. It's not that easy in practice. Sure someone can blog about something that interests them, but that's not enough, because for every topic there are many other sites out there that are better, and you can't compete with them, so you won't get enough traffic, etc. For example, if you blog about cooking, there are many other blogs and sites out there that are established in cooking, which you as a newcomer could never compete with. So you will not get enough traffic to make money off of.

Or you can do a niche topic or unique one. That's what I did. I started two very unique sites, so that there was no competition. I also had a pre-existing email list and fan base to direct to my new sites. And that worked for me.

If I didn't pick a unique topic or idea, I would not have been able to compete with others sites out there. For example, there are already many conspiracy sites, such as this one, so a new one wouldn't have a good chance of becoming too popular.

But it was all slow and gradual, not dramatic as the internet marketing gurus claim."

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I've moved this thread to the Making A Living section of the forum and stickied it because it's an important topic and FAQ.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hey check this out. This interesting guy I've been talking to named Walt Goodridge also makes a living from online passive income that allows him to travel the world, by selling his scores of amazing ebooks and books online. He seems like a very interesting guy with a lot of passion, freedom and zest for life.

Here is his book catalogue from his website:

http://www.waltgoodridge.com/websitesandbooks.html

His list of books on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Walt-FJ-Goodridge/e/B001JRXNXY

Two of his titles you guys might find relevant to your aims are "Turn Your Passion into Profit" and "Living True to Yourself":

Here is his self-description and websites:

"Once upon a time, there was a Jamaican civil engineer living in New York who hated his job, followed his passion, started a sideline business publishing his own books, made enough money to quit his job, escaped the rat race, ran off to a tropical island in the South Pacific, and started a tourism business so he could give tours of the island to pretty girls every day....and live a nomadpreneur's dream life."

Walt's philosophy is: F R E E D O M I S A C H I E V A B L E!
Freedom to Profit!
Freedom to Escape!
Freedom to be Ageless!
DISCOVER HOW! at http://www.waltgoodridge.com

Follow Walt's nomadpreneur adventure at his award-nominated blog:
http://blogs.jamaicans.com/jamaicaninchina/

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here are some flowcharts and images of passive income that I found. Check them out.

ImageImageImageImage

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Some nice charts there, but they sure as hell don't show how insanely hard work it all is.

e.g. Type 6 "purchase websites". Yes you can buy websites on Flippa, but how the heck do you know which sites are worth the money?
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

xiongmao wrote:Some nice charts there, but they sure as hell don't show how insanely hard work it all is.

e.g. Type 6 "purchase websites". Yes you can buy websites on Flippa, but how the heck do you know which sites are worth the money?
Yeah, well it's only easy in concept, not in practice. If you want, you can post some of your major websites here, to show people how you layout your sites and monetize them as an example. Your sites have a nice modern wordpress layout and theme.