Teaching English in Russia

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Teaching English in Russia

Post by GoingAwol »

Has anyone here ever taught english in Russia? I'm really interested in teaching English there, but i'm confused. I have read from multiple places that Russia doesn't require English teachers to have a college degree, but I have looked at hundreds of jobs and every single one of them say they require a bachelor's degree. So what gives? Is it possible to get TEFL jobs in Russia without a college degree or not? I am planning to get an online tefl certification within the next few months and I will be visiting Russia in May or June. Is there a good chance english schools would be interested in hiring me if I show up to apply with my tefl certification in hand?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on January 10th, 2020, 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Re: Teaching English in Russia

Post by GoingAwol »

Ghost wrote:It would probably depend on the job. There's a difference between the country itself requiring a degree in order to grant a work permit, and a particular job requiring it.
As far as I know, Russia itself doesn't require a degree for EFL teachers, but some jobs in Russia will. For higher paying and higher status jobs, expect a degree to be a basic requirement.

I think you could possibly start in Russia at International House or English First and then work up. Check out Dave's ESL Cafe. I don't know much about Russia as an EFL market.

If you don't have a TEFL, CELTA or other qualification yet it would be good to do a program in country, after which you would receive immediate job finding help.

Here's the site for International House: http://www.bkcih-moscow.com/

EF English First is a huge company in Asia, but it is also in Russia:

http://www.englishfirst.com/trt/teachin ... ussia.html

EF will sometimes cover TEFL courses for their teachers.
Thanks.I signed up on Dave's. Still waiting for him to activate my account so I can post.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on July 30th, 2019, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HouseMD
Veteran Poster

Post by HouseMD »

Back in the day you could make a good amount of money teaching English in St. Petersburg and Moscow. Pity the jobs have dried up since the Russian economy went South.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

HouseMD wrote:Back in the day you could make a good amount of money teaching English in St. Petersburg and Moscow. Pity the jobs have dried up since the Russian economy went South.
ESL CAFE has a slew of Russian jobs posted right now. Nobody wants to go there because of the political situation.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

Ghost wrote:So how did it go GoingAwol? Did you ever find a job in Russia?
No,
I changed my plans. I decided to wait till I have my associate's degree in May. I'll go there after that and take the Celta. I'm sure i'll be able to find jobs then.
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Post by nomadphilippines »

i would guess the pay wouldnt be to great here now right?
avid follower of site about travel and girls https://guysnightlife.com
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

I looked at the situation years ago. Peanuts pay, having to travel all over the place so being paid even less per actual hour etc. f**k that, and it seems to have gotten worse. You do that if you don't need the money.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 24th, 2018, 8:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

If I go to Russia, it'll be for the women.
nomadphilippines
Freshman Poster

Post by nomadphilippines »

especially with the economic collapse there it doesnt sound like a wise place to go
avid follower of site about travel and girls https://guysnightlife.com
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

nomadphilippines wrote:especially with the economic collapse there it doesnt sound like a wise place to go
Maybe it will be like the 90's again, when any guy with an American passport could score a Russian babe :D
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Hero wrote:
nomadphilippines wrote:especially with the economic collapse there it doesnt sound like a wise place to go
Maybe it will be like the 90's again, when any guy with an American passport could score a Russian babe :D
Hopefully. That's why I hope the overall living standards for most Russians (and everyone in Eastern Europe) collapses.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 24th, 2018, 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.