Remote job

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
Gwineth
Freshman Poster

Remote job

Post by Gwineth »

Hey, I'm a student(3rd year in university), and I'm looking for a job. I want it to be remote and with a flexible schedule, because I don't have much time. I'm thinking about an online tutor or freelance writer. Any suggestions?
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Re: Remote job

Post by glanmit »

Did you find the job you were looking for?
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

Remote job/business is the best option for people like us, who like traveling and spending a quality time with their families.
I work this way for more than 5 years now and manage all my working communication through microsoft teams calling.
There is no need to waste time to the office and back, pay for the parking, fuel and working suits. Instead you work when you want to and your office can't be anywhere you want.
jeniferbet
Freshman Poster

Post by jeniferbet »

dropshipping or ecommerse order management can be as an option
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

1) Drop shipping and ecommerce sucks. You're not going to make much money. You have to spend money on inventory, marketing, websites, SEOs, etc. You can sell on Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, etc but don't expect to make much money.

2) Online Tutor and free lancing might work, but you need to start from the bottom and build up your credentials. It will take a while and you have to pay 30% self employment tax.

3) I don't know any good remote jobs.. Offline jobs still pay. Have to tried to get a job at your university? You can be a tutor working for the university, RA(resident advisor- they get dorm room free of charge, the university pays for it), you can work in the university's library as attendant( lot of free time during work hours, people study their test while on duty). If you have any spare time you can donate your blood/plasma on the weekends to earn couple of hundred bucks a month.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

How the hell do you guys think an asshole like me would get hired at a remote job? The companies that pay me money right now hired me over a phone call. Only reason I'm still getting work is based on my skills and work experience that I acquired in college and in my 20s. Right now I'm suffering from some PTSD that I didn't have in my early 20s which is how I was able to focus well then but now with the PTSD I got I can barely focus or study at all.

If I were someone who wanted to get my first remote job, this is what I would do:

Check job boards such as : Weworkremotely.com and Remoteok.com

If you don't have skills, then take online courses at Udemy or earn a online certificate at Udacity.com. Also Google has technical programs that you can earn certificates and shit from.

Then do a 3-4 work projects on your own that you can show to potential employers.

If you're still not hired at that point, just keep applying and eventually someone would hire you. Employers will hire people that want to put in the work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

kangarunner wrote:
June 20th, 2023, 1:36 pm
How the hell do you guys think an asshole like me would get hired at a remote job? The companies that pay me money right now hired me over a phone call. Only reason I'm still getting work is based on my skills and work experience that I acquired in college and in my 20s. Right now I'm suffering from some PTSD that I didn't have in my early 20s which is how I was able to focus well then but now with the PTSD I got I can barely focus or study at all.

If I were someone who wanted to get my first remote job, this is what I would do:

Check job boards such as : Weworkremotely.com and Remoteok.com

If you don't have skills, then take online courses at Udemy or earn a online certificate at Udacity.com. Also Google has technical programs that you can earn certificates and shit from.

Then do a 3-4 work projects on your own that you can show to potential employers.

If you're still not hired at that point, just keep applying and eventually someone would hire you. Employers will hire people that want to put in the work.
What do you do for a living?
And you expect companies at Freelancing sites to hire some inexperienced punk ass American for expensive price over an experienced Indian coolie or a veteran Filipino guy who only cost U.S minimum wage?
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
June 20th, 2023, 1:49 pm
And you expect companies at Freelancing sites to hire some inexperienced punk ass American for expensive price over an experienced Indian coolie or a veteran Filipino guy who only cost U.S minimum wage?
I aint got to explain nothing about what I do to make money. My life is hard enough as it is and I don't owe nothing to nobody. I f***ing hate that country and all the nasty, despicable people in it and that's why I work remotely and live outside the US.

As far as Americans getting hired over cheaper tech talent in India or Philippines and that competition, the truth is that there are some companies in the US who want to hire Americans only.

Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

kangarunner wrote:
June 20th, 2023, 1:57 pm
June 20th, 2023, 1:49 pm
I aint got to explain nothing about what I do to make money. My life is hard enough as it is and I don't owe nothing to nobody. I f***ing hate that country and all the nasty, despicable people in it and that's why I work remotely and live outside the US.

As far as Americans getting hired over cheaper tech talent in India or Philippines and that competition, the truth is that there are some companies in the US who want to hire Americans only.
If you haven't renounced your U.S citizenship then you still have to pay U.S worldwide income tax (FATCA) anyway. :lol:
Tell me, I would love to know which American companies are only hiring Americans for remote work. :D
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

June 20th, 2023, 2:05 pm
My life is hard too. :D At least your out of America and working a remote job. I get stuck in a job in America and have to deal with retards and assholes every day.

Tell me, I would love to know which American companies are only hiring Americans for remote work. :D
Dude, you got to understand something. You're thinking that the owners of companies/businesses ONLY care about getting the cheapest amount of labor to make the most amount of profit. Sure there are some companies that will do that. An example would be a landscaping company that only hires Mexican immigrants in the US because they will work just as hard, be more reliable, and work at a lower wage. Mexicans probably are work better together and are tighter with each other and therefore, make a better team.

However, not all companies in the US are that greedy that they will outsource to Philippines or India just to make more profit. For example, internal company communications and building a tight, cohesive team of Americans may be a part of their company values. Secondly, the owners of the company may TRUST Americans more.

America is a huge country. You just got to search and apply and apply and apply until you land something good. I'm pretty sure I heard AirBnB has tech talent that is 100% remote.

There's tons of tech talent that show me up and run circles around me. But I'm good enough to get hired....at least for now.

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

The question is not so much whether getting a good remote job with an American company is possible. It is a big world. Some people surely have them. I even had one for three years. The question is whether it is an option worth serious consideration for the average person. My thinking is, probably not.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

kangarunner wrote:
June 20th, 2023, 2:13 pm
June 20th, 2023, 2:05 pm
My life is hard too. :D At least your out of America and working a remote job. I get stuck in a job in America and have to deal with retards and assholes every day.

Dude, you got to understand something. You're thinking that the owners of companies/businesses ONLY care about getting the cheapest amount of labor to make the most amount of profit. Sure there are some companies that will do that. An example would be a landscaping company that only hires Mexican immigrants in the US because they will work just as hard, be more reliable, and work at a lower wage. Mexicans probably are work better together and are tighter with each other and therefore, make a better team.

However, not all companies in the US are that greedy that they will outsource to Philippines or India just to make more profit. For example, internal company communications and building a tight, cohesive team of Americans may be a part of their company values. Secondly, the owners of the company may TRUST Americans more.

America is a huge country. You just got to search and apply and apply and apply until you land something good. I'm pretty sure I heard AirBnB has tech talent that is 100% remote.
I understand what your saying, but most American companies have the "Race to the Bottom" mentality since the 1970's where they outsourced everything to China and left African Americans and other Americans impoverished. I already have a job, but I am curious and I would love to hear from you which American company cares about their employees. :? Most be an Oasis in the desert.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Cornfed wrote:
June 20th, 2023, 2:18 pm
The question is not so much whether getting a good remote job with an American company is possible. It is a big world. Some people surely have them. I even had one for three years. The question is whether it is an option worth serious consideration for the average person. My thinking is, probably not.
I mean it can be possible.. but keep in mind only the highest skilled person makes ass ton of money. The average Joes.. they end up getting pimped out by their remote employers for meagre pay... not to mention you have to pay 30% in self employment taxes and worldwide income tax if your U.S citizen.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

June 20th, 2023, 2:20 pm
I understand what your saying, but most American companies have the "Race to the Bottom" mentality since the 1970's where they outsourced everything to China and left African Americans and other Americans impoverished. I already have a job, but I am curious and I would love to hear from you which American company cares about their employees. :? Most be an Oasis in the desert.
It's true, many American companies care more that you are vile modern scum than they care about costs. So if you are a total asshole who parrots mainstream bullshit in a charismatic way, then you can probably easily get a job with an American company because then you will fit in well with the rest of the American scum. This comment is partly inspired by a recent post on my forum:

http://www.mikraite.org/I-f***ing-hate- ... p3669.html
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

fschmidt wrote:
June 20th, 2023, 2:54 pm
June 20th, 2023, 2:20 pm
It's true, many American companies care more that you are vile modern scum than they care about costs. So if you are a total asshole who parrots mainstream bullshit in a charismatic way, then you can probably easily get a job with an American company because then you will fit in well with the rest of the American scum. This comment is partly inspired by a recent post on my forum:

http://www.mikraite.org/I-f***ing-hate- ... p3669.html
Must be a hell of a place to work.