Introducing Myself - TheLogicJunkie

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
naiss2
Freshman Poster

Post by naiss2 »

Thank you Winston for introducing us to TheLogicJunkie!

TheLogicJunkie,

I haven't met that many Anglos but I think, also considering information on the Internet, media etc., that there are perceivable differences between Anglo-Saxon culture and the rest of Germanic culture (meaning German speaking countries, The Netherlands, Scandinavia). For example, from time to time I visit http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/ because I find it interesting how they (mostly Anglos living in Germany) perceive us (Germans). It's eye-opening, at times. Often, I notice differences but I can't really put my finger on them but I know that I and people I know wouldn't behave in the same way as Anglos do. That doesn't mean that you would like living in Germany or even in the praised Scandinavian countries.

As you explained in your videos where you compare life in the Northwestern United States and your home Florida there can be vast differences within countries. That's why I don't really like to use labels like Anglo-Saxon or German. If you, however, ever choose to go to Germany (which I still doubt) I highly recommend Berlin because its atmosphere is more open/better from other German cities. Rent in Berlin is rather low compared to other capitals of "rich" countries. Berliners can be very blunt and express their opinion openly. This can be seen as rude but it's a trait you maybe learn to appreciate. Also, there are many families, whose grandparents came from Turkey or Arab countries, so I think it wouldn't be too hard for you to integrate because you would be first and foremost considered American and thus "more German".

P.S.: Does Anglo culture in America permeate all people? I mean, if you don't like that culture, can't you avoid it? You said that you don't speak Spanish but wouldn't be socializing with Cubans or other people from Central or South America a reasonable alternative?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

When we talk about the Anglo culture in the US, or the Germanic culture, I do not think we talk about English vs German, vs whoever. What he basically means is that if you come off as Hispanic-looking or Italian in his part of the country, it is not well received in the upper circles, but if you come off more northern like, then it is OK. In other words, you should be of the ancestry of the earlier Northwest European settlers ( commonly known as WASPs) if you want to be accepted. So, a German American in today's America is a WASP, too. Someone with a name like Gonzalez or Peppelini is not.

As I have mentioned, if your last name is the problem, what one can do is change it to a French sounding one- the French are the only Latin Europeans that are accepted in the WASP "congellation" he was speaking about.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
naiss2
Freshman Poster

Post by naiss2 »

I assume not all employers are biased towards WASPs or are Hispanic themselves. Or is the WASP way of thinking too deep ingrained in the general public that even non-WASPs discriminate against other non-WASPs. Wouldn't it be difficult to work for someone that would actually dislike you if they found out your "real" self? Again, I have trouble grasping the categories you divide people into because I thought being a Hispanic is mainly based on language. Even the categories in the US Census 2010 are absurd.
FreeYourMind
Freshman Poster

Post by FreeYourMind »

ladislav wrote:When we talk about the Anglo culture in the US, or the Germanic culture, I do not think we talk about English vs German, vs whoever. What he basically means is that if you come off as Hispanic-looking or Italian in his part of the country, it is not well received in the upper circles, but if you come off more northern like, then it is OK. In other words, you should be of the ancestry of the earlier Northwest European settlers ( commonly known as WASPs) if you want to be accepted. So, a German American in today's America is a WASP, too. Someone with a name like Gonzalez or Peppelini is not.

As I have mentioned, if your last name is the problem, what one can do is change it to a French sounding one- the French are the only Latin Europeans that are accepted in the WASP "congellation" he was speaking about.
Italians have been in the U.S. for several generations and are completely assimilated, including being part of the upper class in areas where there are many of them, especially the Northeast. Italians interbred with other White groups and most are now part-other European ethnicities. Hispanics is a more valid argument, but in places like California, many Spanish settled there and have also been absorbed into the "melting pot." There are plenty of Americans with names like Garcia and Rodriguez who are doing very well for themselves. Dark-skinned Mexicans have more of a problem, but at the rate they are moving into the Southwest, they will be running things within a generation, for better or worse.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

I guess,then the OP must be in some really special part of the country.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
FreeYourMind
Freshman Poster

Post by FreeYourMind »

The Logic Junkie looks like a regular white guy to me. I find it hard to believe he experiences racism solely because of his last name. I'd be interested in concrete examples of it. It might be that he experiences job discrimination because white men in general are at the bottom of the affirmative action totem pole.
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Re:

Post by josephty2 »

Winston wrote:
May 25th, 2011, 9:18 pm
LogicJunkie,
Keep in mind that most jobs are not advertised. They are networked out or promoted from within. So searching online doesn't access you to most jobs. You gotta go there and network with people, develop contacts, and ask around.

But it depends on where you go. If you came here to the Philippines, I could set you up with an apartment for 80 dollars a month. Then you could live cheaply until you found something.

For now, you can write foreign girls for free at http://www.dateinasia.com and see how different they are from your country.

Also, if you need to save up money for airfare, just get a temp job through Kelly Services, Manpower or Express Personnel. They've always gotten me work. If your parents help, that's fine too. What are family's for? lol You gotta put your pride aside for the moment and understand that peace of mind and feeling good about yourself are the most important things in life (besides health of course). If your family can help jumpstart you to a better life, why not? My parents helped me for a while too, before I had enough income to pay my own bills overseas.
This is intuitive bias.
I only can respond to Q&A, much like Quora and Yahoo Answers. The other type of interaction I cannot understand, it doesn't make sense to try to answer an implicit question (made up the word from calculus). Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance).