A long time member checking back in

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

A long time member checking back in

Post by zboy1 »

It's been a while since I posted on HappierAbroad. I was active on this forum back a few years ago but now I'm just checking back-in to see if there are any people I still remember on here. (I've met some HA and ex-HA members already in-person.) An update on me: I'm an Asian American who decided to go to China to travel and find a job there. Since arriving in China in 2013, I've dated a few women and eventually got married to a wonderful Chinese girl. I also frequently traveled to the Philippines to see Winston, my ex-gf and a couple of other HA members living there. Also frequently got to go to South Korea, Japan, and Thailand. It's been a fun and enjoyable time for me during that time.

I plan on moving out of China in the future because of all the crackdowns from Xi JingPing. I think I'll move to South Korea next year because of a variety of reasons, namely because it's a chance for me to live in another country that's a bit different from China. Way into the future, I'm eventually going to retire in Thailand with my wife, or I may retire in China if the country becomes more open again in the future.

I think moving abroad was the best decision for me. I'm grateful to be an American citizen (and all the benefits that it gives me) but I'm glad I'm living in Asia at the moment. If I do go back to the U.S., the only place I would consider living is Hawaii (due to the large Asian population there). If any of you have any questions about China and other parts of Asia, I'll be glad to answer.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

david14433
Freshman Poster

Re: A long time member checking back in

Post by david14433 »

Howdy there zboy. Yeah the forum was shut down for a bit. And now it's pretty dead here. I wish it was more active because I got a lot to learn. I was honestly seriously thinking about Finding love in Thailand. But my roommate is Brazilian and from Brazil now I'm seriously thinking about going to Brazil instead. Don't know if you know very much about Brazil but if you do I'd appreciate your input on the differences.

Thanks for stopping by.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Don't know much about Brazil but I know a couple of HA members have a lot of experience there. Maybe they could chime in? Don't know if some of the old-timers are still around, though.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Welcome back zboy1. We missed you. How is China? Anything improve there? We always talk about the negatives here, but never the positives.

How is your relationship going? Do you wanna talk about it or is it confidential?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Welcome back and nice to hear from you again.
Yohan
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

I always thought you were a valuable member, but of course we had some disagreements with your actions as a moderator. However I didn't hold a grudge for some reason and I am glad to hear you are doing well.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Winston wrote:
October 6th, 2021, 10:33 pm
Welcome back zboy1. We missed you. How is China? Anything improve there? We always talk about the negatives here, but never the positives.

How is your relationship going? Do you wanna talk about it or is it confidential?
It's going well, Winston. We're thinking whether to have a child or not, but honestly, I don't really want to bring a child into this world. The world is kinda fu*ked up now, so we'll wait and see.

Chinese mainland girls are way better than American women, hands down! From what my younger brother has told me, and what HA members that have returned to the States have said, American women have gotten worse than before (if that's even possible).

I'm about to get my U.S. teachers license so that means I can teach at any international school out here in Asia. I'm already doing so but this certification means my paycheck will double in the future.

I've enjoyed China but the recent crackdowns and closing up of China has me a bit worried. I'm looking to teach at an international school in Korea, Taiwan or Japan for a change of pace.

This whole Covid situation is unfortunate, moreso that I haven't been able to travel outside of China in a while. I do miss visiting other parts of Asia. I have traveled a fair bit inside China, though.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Yohan wrote:
October 7th, 2021, 12:02 am
Yohan
Yohan, are you still in Japan? I haven't visited the country in a while. Has the country changed at all from the Covid situation? Do you still enjoy living there?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Another long time member checking back in...

I think quitting China is a good idea - Xi has ruined the place. When they finally come for Winston's island you don't want to be a foreigner in China.

I think China has a bleak future because even if Xi goes they will have to deal with a stagnant economy due to Xi cracking down on entreprenuers, foreigners and foreign business as well as soaring environmental problems and an energy crisis. Who in their right mind would outsource to China now? But the biggest issue will be the collapsing population demographics.

Thailand is OK but the air pollution is bad and the presumably permanent tourism collapse won't do them any favours.

I miss teaching and tried it in the UK but the other teachers were just nasty and toxic. I've got a pretty sweet job now - good salary and work from home.

I don't know what happens next but it is starting to feel a lot like the 1970's. This time around though I suspect property will get its face ripped off as there's a whole generation of people who haven't experienced rising interest rates.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

zboy1 wrote:
October 7th, 2021, 7:20 am
Yohan wrote:
October 7th, 2021, 12:02 am
Yohan
Yohan, are you still in Japan? I haven't visited the country in a while. Has the country changed at all from the Covid situation? Do you still enjoy living there?
@zboy1

Hi, yes, I am still in Japan, now fully retired, no problems at all with my family, already grandfather of 2 children of my older daughter, but wife and I are not living anymore in Tokyo, but on the outskirts of Okayama City, between Osaka and Hiroshima.

We bought a condominium unit and I can only say, it is much better here than in Tokyo, not so crowded with people, a lot of greenery around with forests and rivers, not far to mountains and the sea, but as a foreigner you can only live here after retirement, no jobs in this area to earn good money. - I am not a farmer LOL.

About the covid-19, we did not notice much about it, life was going on here in Okayama province (about 1.9 million people) as usual. Almost no restrictions. The only real restriction for me is the problem with overseas travel. I am vaccinated 2x, have a vaccination certificate from the ward office, healthy otherwise, still moving around with motorcycle and car. Good retirement allowance from my European job contract while working in Japan. Everything is fine here. No restriction to travel to everywhere within Japan.

Now in Japan covid-19 is still present but infections are totally down. Even Zero-patients in some areas. Peak 6 weeks ago was 231.596 active cases and today there are only 15.358 patients in hospitals in all Japan.

Covid-19 infections, as so many people are vaccinated already (about 75 % of the population), are now strongly declining since about one month.
Now 80 million people are 2 x vaccinated in Japan, and another 10 million people 1 x, waiting for the 2nd shot, and still there is a waiting list for the remaining young pro-vaxxers of about 20 million people.

Nothing really changed here - the only restriction is however still with international visitors. Japan is still isolated, but I guess, this will change soon.
Same with Thailand and Philippines, travel in all Asia is still costly and complicated.
I still cannot visit my fosterdaughter in Cebu and cannot enter my rooms in Pattaya, except if I am willing to accept quarantine and other costly formalities, but I prefer to wait it out.

Best regards,
Yohan
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

That's great, Yohan. Congrats on your retirement and comfortable life in Okayama city.

@Xiongmao, What job do you do, if I may ask? We talk on the WhatsApp group, but you have never mentioned what job you do, besides teaching. Btw, I'm glad you have a job where you can work from home. Thats sounds like a sweet gig. The only online jobs that I know of involve either IT or teaching English online.

I know you're in the U.K. now. How is the situation with Covid there now?
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

That's great, Yohan. Congrats on your retirement and comfortable life in Okayama city.

@Xiongmao, What job do you do, if I may ask? We talk on the WhatsApp group, but you have never mentioned what job you do, besides teaching. Btw, I'm glad you have a job where you can work from home. Thats sounds like a sweet gig. The only online jobs that I know of involve either IT or teaching English online.

I know you're in the U.K. now. How is the situation with Covid there now?
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

Zboy1

Long time. I rarely come here maybe once in blue to check the site out. And I think your one of the few bright light here. If you remember me. I'm Korean American like you. I am still married and have a child. Still live in the USA . Honestly if you can don't have kids but it depends. Once you have kids it gets costly and education is big thing to deal with. if you plan on raising your child in South Korea. Not sure how it is in THailand. But for some women they have this drive to want to have kids.

I respect you cause I should done what you did and moved to Asia years ago before I got married . Good news is I work in real estate and made some money . Not enough to retire on but I think in maybe 10 years its possible. I'm in my mid 40's now..so maybe retire early in Asia if things are OK.

My plan is try my best as a dad. Try to make as money. Wait a number of years and move to asia . Not sure if my wife will want that but I guess I deal with that when it comes.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

chanta76 wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 8:05 pm
Zboy1

Long time. I rarely come here maybe once in blue to check the site out. And I think your one of the few bright light here. If you remember me. I'm Korean American like you. I am still married and have a child. Still live in the USA . Honestly if you can don't have kids but it depends. Once you have kids it gets costly and education is big thing to deal with. if you plan on raising your child in South Korea. Not sure how it is in THailand. But for some women they have this drive to want to have kids.

I respect you cause I should done what you did and moved to Asia years ago before I got married . Good news is I work in real estate and made some money . Not enough to retire on but I think in maybe 10 years its possible. I'm in my mid 40's now..so maybe retire early in Asia if things are OK.

My plan is try my best as a dad. Try to make as money. Wait a number of years and move to asia . Not sure if my wife will want that but I guess I deal with that when it comes.
That's a good long term plan: make money in the States and then retire in Asia. I suggest Thailand or Malaysia as places to retire. Northeast Asia is too expensive and/or too cumbersome for non-citizens to retire at, although there are those who do retire there (for example, Yohan in Japan, etc.).

There are even Americans that have retired to China and make Youtube videos about that (a la Gweilo 60).
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

zboy1 wrote:
October 11th, 2021, 2:47 am
chanta76 wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 8:05 pm
Zboy1

That's a good long term plan: make money in the States and then retire in Asia. I suggest Thailand or Malaysia as places to retire. Northeast Asia is too expensive and/or too cumbersome for non-citizens to retire at, although there are those who do retire there (for example, Yohan in Japan, etc.).

There are even Americans that have retired to China and make Youtube videos about that (a la Gweilo 60).
I think Cinderella is out of time here in the US, the clock is striking 12 and it's time for the festival under the will of Landru...
Time to Hide!