Italian citizenship via heritage

Discuss international visas, immigration and citizenship issues.
WakingUp
Freshman Poster

Italian citizenship via heritage

Post by WakingUp »

I have read in several places on the web that Italy grants citizenship based on heritage. Has anyone pursued this route to citizenship? If so, what was it like? Any tips / advice?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zacb
Experienced Poster

Post by zacb »

Well, I am no expert on Italy, but when I looked into the option (Ireland), I believe that it was back to the grandparents you could claim. Try checking sovereignman.com if you have not, and look into books by Grandpa. PM me for more details on the later.
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Been looking into that, myself. It seems that if you can trace it back up to your great-father, you can get in & there's some kind of cut-off date for women. Meaning that if you get the heritage through a woman, it's got to be from a certain year onward to get citizenship. Not sure what everything is about citizenship being renounced if they took the American citizenship oath. You might be able to talk to an immigration lawyerin that case, since maybe your relatives didn't know what they were saying (ex: didn't speak much English & got tricked). I might need to do something like that

You might be able to try Ancestry.com- a guy at the consulate said that would be fine. You've got to get it translated to Italian, too. If I remember correctly, they've got a service for both at the embassey. Not too sure what you need to schedule an appointment there- you might need a passport to go to the consulate. Not sure if they'll break your chops about having a pocketknife or a multitool on you, but you could ask if that's a problem. You can call up the embassey for all kinds of things, but I've always had them try to rush me off the phone.

You might have an issue GETTING it from heritage, but you might get it a lot smoother (ex: you might be able to apply for it after one year of living there, instead of five or so).
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

PM eurobrat. I believe he got an Italian passport on that basis.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I looked into it once. The rule is that if your grandparent was an Italian citizen and didn't become a citizen of another country, then you could get citizenship. I dropped it when my mother told me he became an American citizen. However after he raised a family in the US he then moved back to Italy, so I am wondering . He must have been accepted as an Italian citizen if he lived there. I only met him once in my life in Italy and at the time never thought to ask him why he left the US.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

I think you might be able to get it if he re-aquires his Italian citizenship. He might have been a dual citizen before. You should ask him, if you still want to get it.
WakingUp
Freshman Poster

Post by WakingUp »

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

My great grandfather *might* have been from Italy and my great great grandfather definitely was.

My hunch is that i'm too far down the line, so to speak, but I will eventually find out for sure.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

WakingUp wrote:Thanks for your feedback everyone. My great grandfather *might* have been from Italy and my great great grandfather definitely was. My hunch is that i'm too far down the line, so to speak, but I will eventually find out for sure.
As long as they didn't give up their citizenship when they settled in the US, you should be fine. Yes you may be a little too far down the line as my Grandmother was born Italian.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

That's ironic how great-grandparental heritage is too far down the line. Same applies to me: if my grandparents had not given up their Brazilian right, I would have seamlessly gone back and probably wouldn't have met any of you guys lol. My great-grandparents gleefully held on to their dual citizenship but passed away in the early 80s. :-/
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

I think when it's the male great-grandparent, you can still get into Italy.
WindowLicker
Freshman Poster

Post by WindowLicker »

Wolfeye wrote:I think when it's the male great-grandparent, you can still get into Italy.
It all depends on how long ago he naturalized himself American. A few years ago, Italy "moved the goal-posts"; that is, they set the new cutoff date at 1948. Typical.

In my own opinion, frankly, I think that they ended up doing many of us an unintentional favor. I was raised to be the stereotypical foaming-at-the-mouth proud Italian American, only to get reality-checked when I started looking into Italy as an adult years later. In various ways, that country and its people are not what they're hyped up to be. I could really go on at length about it, but, suffice it to say that Eurobrat's report in the locked forum already says it all just perfectly.

One thing that I will add, though: If you are at all even remotely conservative about any political topic on the face of the Earth whatsoever, woe betide you when dealing with the hotbed of militant Marxists, anarchists and "antifas" that is Shitaly...most of it pure pomp and hypocrisy, too. Teenagers (by Italian standards, anyone from age 13-50) swaggering down their garbage-strewn streets in a Palestinian scarf and $900.00 designer sunglasses, ranting and raving against American capitalists, Israel and austerity, and snapping selfies of their fists in the air? Yep, Italy's got 'em...and this is how they spend their endless free time whilst living off of Mamma until they themselves are elderly.

Fake their accent, learn to grow some tomatoes and peppers out of your own dreadlocks, behave like a band member from Rage Against the Machine circa 1992 at all times, and you'll be fine! :roll:

One more thing: Their chicks are absolutely no sexier than any other subset of the much-scorned "white chicks". They are not exotic, not ravishingly beautiful, and not demigoddesses. They are unbathed, permascowling arrogant Europeans like any other. Don't believe the myth.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

This thread is one more pieve of evidence that HappierAbroad is the best website around.

Ideas.

Methods.

Reality checks.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

WindowLicker wrote:In my own opinion, frankly, I think that they ended up doing many of us an unintentional favor. I was raised to be the stereotypical foaming-at-the-mouth proud Italian American, only to get reality-checked when I started looking into Italy as an adult years later. In various ways, that country and its people are not what they're hyped up to be. I could really go on at length about it, but, suffice it to say that Eurobrat's report in the locked forum already says it all just perfectly.

One thing that I will add, though: If you are at all even remotely conservative about any political topic on the face of the Earth whatsoever, woe betide you when dealing with the hotbed of militant Marxists, anarchists and "antifas" that is Shitaly...most of it pure pomp and hypocrisy, too. Teenagers (by Italian standards, anyone from age 13-50) swaggering down their garbage-strewn streets in a Palestinian scarf and $900.00 designer sunglasses, ranting and raving against American capitalists, Israel and austerity, and snapping selfies of their fists in the air? Yep, Italy's got 'em...and this is how they spend their endless free time whilst living off of Mamma until they themselves are elderly.

Fake their accent, learn to grow some tomatoes and peppers out of your own dreadlocks, behave like a band member from Rage Against the Machine circa 1992 at all times, and you'll be fine! :roll:

One more thing: Their chicks are absolutely no sexier than any other subset of the much-scorned "white chicks". They are not exotic, not ravishingly beautiful, and not demigoddesses. They are unbathed, permascowling arrogant Europeans like any other. Don't believe the myth.
An interesting perspective. You guys are probably (force-)fed all sorts of mythical stereotypes about the Italo-american community and the folks back home, from Rocky Balboa to Fellini's La Dolce Vita. You maintain your American citizen status (and lifestyle, and opportunities) while holding the romantic dream of a far motherland full of sweet promises. And it's only natural that those promises come beckoning when you reach peak disillusionment about the state of your own society and culture.

Well, big mistake. Let me tell you, as an Italian who has been living abroad for 16 years now: Italy is no better, no worse than any other European, Western country rotting in the same globalisation soup as every other. You will not find solace from the evils of "American capitalism", which is really corporate imperialism that happens to be driven by an elite of American/British multinationals and lobbies, not in Italy, not anywhere else. The malaise is global, too deeply-seated and absolutely irreversible.

What's sadder still, I believe you won't find solace from your own delusions and self-righteousness because it has to do with you. You consider yourself a proud conservative, yet have probably been voting the same guys who have squandered tens of billions to wage wars to every geopolitical weakling on Earth, the supporters of the most obscene fascist fundamentalist regime on Earth (Zionist Israel), and the Wall Street bosom buddies who have been implementing plans of massive wealth redistribution...towards the top 0.01%.

Put simply, you are what you hate.

So, leave Italy alone to its trashy leftwingers and terminal cancer, and work on your own happiness, wherever it will be. Replacing cheesy romantic stereotypes with grotesquely negative ones won't change a thing in Italy, and won't change a thing in your life.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Jester wrote:This thread is one more pieve of evidence that HappierAbroad is the best website around.

Ideas.

Methods.

Reality checks.
Ideas = America is so toxic - let's get some exotic p***y in Italy
Methods = move to Italy with no job and no connection, walk into a bar alone and rub my blue passport against my beard, a-la Roosh
Reality checks = ouch, I can't get any poon in Italy - those trashy Commie daddy's girls are the worst thing ever - and by the way even the food is shite. Hail America the Great! :)
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Whoa.

:shock:

Whatever happened to NICE Public?