I don't see the point of socializing in North America...

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Will N. Dowd
Junior Poster

I don't see the point of socializing in North America...

Post by Will N. Dowd »

I've pretty much given up on socializing here in Canada. My only social life is really my job. I work in retail, so I deal with co-workers and customers all day long 5 days a week, but as soon as it is 6pm, I usually rush home to avoid people. My main problem is I have nothing in common with most people. Most people here are sheeple anyways and do most of the things I hate. They smoke cigarettes and marijuana, drink a lot, have a fat Canadian wife with tattoos that they call "the boss", go to church, watch too much TV, are excessively in debt, own way too much stuff, and are obsessed with the local ice hockey team.

When they hear that I am atheist, won't marry, single, only date foreign women, paid off my mortgage, owe no money, own few material goods and am trying to get rid of a lot of those and then that I don't drink, smoke, take drugs, and don't watch TV, they think I am a freak show. So now I have essentially given up on a social life here. I never had much of one anyways but now I even try and avoid family gatherings. The conversations with most people including most extended family is the most trivial nonsense. It is all about ridiculous stuff I couldn't care less about, and then to top it off, everyone of course has to drink as much as possible, and don't want anything to do with me when I tell them that I don't drink. I've pretty much figured out now that unless people think the way I think and agree with me, I don't want anything to do with them and they want nothing to do with me. I'm really only interested in hanging out with cute asian girls, but that proves difficult here. I stopped going to the language exchange school after a string of bad luck with ESL students. My last ESL girlfriend went back last summer.

I stopped watching TV two years ago and have now even considered selling my TV that I use to watch movies from the library on. Even movies now piss me off they are so stupid. I try to watch foreign ones, but even those I am tired of. If you think about it movies and TV are all fake. They are simply people pretending to be someone and do something for peoples entertainment. If your own life is exciting, you don't need all this fake entertainment.
The only thing now that I will never lose interest in is in young asian girls, so once I have sold all my stuff, I will either rent out my place, and live off the rent or sell my place and live off the interest in the Philippines where I can meet as many young and sexy asian women as possible. I have over 4000 messages on DIA now.

At this point, I am trying to sell as much of my accumulated stuff as possible on craigslist. I have a large pile of stuff on and next to my desk that I have taken pictures of and posted online for sale, and I re-list it every 48 hours so it is at the top of the pile. I have got about $650 out of things I sold online so far this year, with lots more to sell. I want to own as little as possible and have as much money as possible, so I'm living very frugally, putting about $3000 a month into my savings, and planning my escape. My first trip to Phils is in 5 weeks.

So thats my rant for the day. I suspect I will be perfectly happy to socialize with Pinoys and Pinays in the Phils, all the ones I have met here I have gotten along with famously. But socialize in Canada, forget it, people don't understand me and I don't understand them. Seeing people at work is enough for me. Anyone else with me on this?
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Your able to save $ 3,000 a month that is good. You must be making some good money at your retail job. Here in the US, retail doesn't pay much, unless you are a manager but then you have to work crazy hours including nights, weekends and holidays. :shock:
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Will, sounds like me ;-). I also do live very frugal to have options. PI has probably best ROI. I am also in the process of selling my things and be out of germany in 2 month max. I also either want to rent or sell my appartement. But as I am a chicken I start with my homecountry turkey, where I have to do some property business but at least I won´t go back. I want to look what turkey has to offer and maybe I will catch the chance to go to the PI. -- Most people lead a normal life, I need some people who are like me and maybe some hot chicks too ;-)

You have money, so you have options.;-)
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Billy, so I guess Deutschland is getting expensive. Unfortunately for me I will probably go back to the US because I could not get a job offer in Wien. Probably will try another go in another country but I think I do need to get more concrete experience in IT. Turkey is a nice country (conservative but more secular than Iran/Saudi Arabia and Sunni not Shia). Although I think Deutschland has more benefits than the US, I can understand the women issues and problems because of being a foreigner.

Keep up your plan.
ExpeditionSailor
Freshman Poster

Re: I don't see the point of socialializing in North America

Post by ExpeditionSailor »

Will N. Dowd wrote:I've pretty much given up on socializing here in Canada. My only social life is really my job. I work in retail, so I deal with co-workers and customers all day long 5 days a week, but as soon as it is 6pm, I usually rush home to avoid people. My main problem is I have nothing in common with most people. Most people here are sheeple anyways and do most of the things I hate. They smoke cigarettes and marijuana, drink a lot, have a fat Canadian wife with tattoos that they call "the boss", go to church, watch too much TV, are excessively in debt, own way too much stuff, and are obsessed with the local ice hockey team.

When they hear that I am atheist, won't marry, single, only date foreign women, paid off my mortgage, owe no money, own few material goods and am trying to get rid of a lot of those and then that I don't drink, smoke, take drugs, and don't watch TV, they think I am a freak show. So now I have essentially given up on a social life here. I never had much of one anyways but now I even try and avoid family gatherings. The conversations with most people including most extended family is the most trivial nonsense. It is all about ridiculous stuff I couldn't care less about, and then to top it off, everyone of course has to drink as much as possible, and don't want anything to do with me when I tell them that I don't drink. I've pretty much figured out now that unless people think the way I think and agree with me, I don't want anything to do with them and they want nothing to do with me. I'm really only interested in hanging out with cute asian girls, but that proves difficult here. I stopped going to the language exchange school after a string of bad luck with ESL students. My last ESL girlfriend went back last summer.

I stopped watching TV two years ago and have now even considered selling my TV that I use to watch movies from the library on. Even movies now piss me off they are so stupid. I try to watch foreign ones, but even those I am tired of. If you think about it movies and TV are all fake. They are simply people pretending to be someone and do something for peoples entertainment. If your own life is exciting, you don't need all this fake entertainment.
The only thing now that I will never lose interest in is in young asian girls, so once I have sold all my stuff, I will either rent out my place, and live off the rent or sell my place and live off the interest in the Philippines where I can meet as many young and sexy asian women as possible. I have over 4000 messages on DIA now.

At this point, I am trying to sell as much of my accumulated stuff as possible on craigslist. I have a large pile of stuff on and next to my desk that I have taken pictures of and posted online for sale, and I re-list it every 48 hours so it is at the top of the pile. I have got about $650 out of things I sold online so far this year, with lots more to sell. I want to own as little as possible and have as much money as possible, so I'm living very frugally, putting about $3000 a month into my savings, and planning my escape. My first trip to Phils is in 5 weeks.

So thats my rant for the day. I suspect I will be perfectly happy to socialize with Pinoys and Pinays in the Phils, all the ones I have met here I have gotten along with famously. But socialize in Canada, forget it, people don't understand me and I don't understand them. Seeing people at work is enough for me. Anyone else with me on this?
Your life mirrors mine in a lot of ways. I find it hard to relate to a lot of my countrymen for the same reasons you describe. Canadians seem to be able to talk about little beyond the latest hockey game. I don't drink either, and people look at me like I've got two heads when I tell them I don't. I also stay away from drugs. Can't even stand being in the same room when people are smoking up, and that's mostly due to having had some really bad experiences with drugs when I was a lot younger. Canadians are very cliquish, and I've found it next to impossible to break into any social circles. If you're an outsider, you will be ignored. So, I have to go my own way and operate as a lone ranger.

I would get married again, but not to a Western woman, and not in Canada with our anti-male legal system. I wouldn't get married to just anyone. She would have to be special - and by 'special' I mean someone who has a bit more going for herself than just being pretty.

I feel the same way about movies, too. I tend to find a lot of the movies that get released lately are stupid, vapid, and pointless, and aimed at the lowest common denominator. I tend to be very selective any more about what I watch. The movie has to nourish my mind and be entertaining, otherwise it's just not worth bothering. I don't have cable TV at home because 99% of what's on TV is absolute garbage and it's way too expensive for what you get. Plus, TV seriously distorts reality, sells the public a false bill of goods, and lies, lies, lies all the time. It's really disgusting.

I confess to being a bit too interested in material goods, and have a fair bit of debt to show for it. I blame myself for that, but also recognize that I've probably been trying to use material goods to substitute for the fact that I have no friends and no social life of any note.

Maybe our issues are a uniquely Canadian phenomenon? Or something restricted to Southern Ontario? Do you ever wonder to yourself sometimes what you ever did to deserve the kind of punishment you're gettting in our society?? I know I do, all the time.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I don't see the point of socializing in North America...

Post by Jester »

Will N. Dowd wrote:.....My main problem is I have nothing in common with most people. ......So now I have essentially given up on a social life here. .........I even try and avoid family gatherings. ......I've pretty much figured out now that unless people think the way I think and agree with me, I don't want anything to do with them and they want nothing to do with me. I'm really only interested in hanging out with cute asian girls, but that proves difficult here......

...... I suspect I will be perfectly happy to socialize with Pinoys and Pinays in the Phils, all the ones I have met here I have gotten along with famously. But socialize in Canada, forget it, people don't understand me and I don't understand them. Seeing people at work is enough for me. Anyone else with me on this?
Will, I totally feel the same way. My best buddy wants me to chase fat divorcees with him. (We're both over 50, so that's where the easy lays are). I have no longer have any interest even in the MILF's. When I get invited somewhere it's MILF City. Been there, done that.

And like you I can't connect with the culture anymore. Outgrown the let's pretend of movies, and new ones are indeed formulaic and dumbed down.

One thing I noticed about your post is tha you don't have any stated exciting goals except the getting the honey-kos. Maybe you do, but you didn't say so. It struck a chord with me - because I'm somewhat the same way. Don't get me wrong, getting relocated overseas is huge. But to the extent we can, I think we should all have a goal that does not revolve around getting laid, having girlfriends, starting a family, or raising children. Could be to get involved in cycling. Could be to build an EBay trading business using Balikbayan box fulfillment. Anything that doesn't involve romance. Maybe this won't click wit you, but it does with me. I used to be on cable TV, produced same TV ads, got myself an agent. I was fun to be around, I was happy, I liked myself. I actually liked performing better than sex, literally. Anyway I think that's part of fulfilling manhood - having a purpose, an aim. Then the chicks can latch on and hitch a ride. I need to give this some thought. For me it's like, move to L.A. or SEA or wherever, have a harem - and then what?
[/i]
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I don't see the point of socialializing in North America

Post by Jester »

ExpeditionSailor wrote:

Maybe our issues are a uniquely Canadian phenomenon?
Trust me, it's not just a Canadian thing. We're all frogs in the North American boiling pot.

Uncomfortable miserable, squirming, not comprehending the situation. Maybe you Canadian frogs have just enough higher IQ, so that you realize that you ARE boiling. Hence you're even more miserable! :lol: :shock:
mehendicant
Freshman Poster

Post by mehendicant »

My current (occasional) job is drawing surveys; I don't deal with the public, just my boss and the field crew. I socialize at church and at the hackerspace. At the church (which is entirely composed of Latins) there are a few who understand. At the hackerspace, there's a man who married a Ukrainian and has a highly intelligent daughter. He understands; I've had intelligent conversations with him and listened to others. There's a high-quality woman who was engaged when I met her and now babywears. She understands French. Understanding what's going on seems to be correlated with knowing more than one language.

I'm going to get out of this apartment and move to a rural lot and build a house there. I'll have a job which I'm planning to set up when I get there. I'll put much of the money I have left after building the house and taking trips into something that will probably survive the collapse of the banking system. And I'll grow much of my food there.

Most of the people I see on the bus aren't worth talking to. Maybe they have nothing better to talk about than a ball game, maybe they put junk on their bodies or have a shopping bag full of junk food.
OzGuy
Freshman Poster

Re: I don't see the point of socializing in North America...

Post by OzGuy »

Will N. Dowd wrote:I've pretty much given up on socializing here in Canada. My only social life is really my job. I work in retail, so I deal with co-workers and customers all day long 5 days a week, but as soon as it is 6pm, I usually rush home to avoid people. My main problem is I have nothing in common with most people. Most people here are sheeple anyways and do most of the things I hate. They smoke cigarettes and marijuana, drink a lot, have a fat Canadian wife with tattoos that they call "the boss", go to church, watch too much TV, are excessively in debt, own way too much stuff, and are obsessed with the local ice hockey team.

Wow, I could have written that myself.

I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs either. In Australia beer practically comes out of our taps, and you are expected to drink. Whenever I go out, people always ask "so why aren't you drinking?" I get tired of them asking every time. If you don't drink here, you are a social outcast. As for conversational topics, all they seem to talk about here is football, which I have zero interest in. So basically I have nothing in common with people here at all.

I have given up on socialising here too. I just keep counting down the days till I can move to Europe, and hopefully I will fit in over there.
wineguy
Freshman Poster

Post by wineguy »

Will, have you ever been to Asia? Which nationality of Asian women are you specifically talking about? I'm 23 and been to Thailand 6 times already. Women are certainly better and easier to connect with here, but please don't get your hopes up. In my experiences, the girls in Chiang Mai and Bangkok are able to hold up a conversation, but girls from the more rural areas are dumber than a f*cking doorknob. And as sad as it is, materialistic consumer culture has permeated just about every part of the planet, it's hard to escape it.

Don't get me wrong, i've had awesome experiences with Asian women, but also don't think it's some kind of paradise you're walking into the moment you exit the airplane; you still have to put in work to land a quality woman.
"When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. And when you're born in America, you're given a front row seat." -George Carlin

"The world is a book, and those who don't travel read only a page." -St. Augustine

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life." -Muhammad Ali
ringspun
Freshman Poster

Post by ringspun »

Yeh here in the UK much the same, people get into massive debt, suck up to their peers at work, marry and stick with a miserable fat wife and can't understand why I would not possibly do the same!

What I have learned with travel is many people much like you, especially in Pattaya, Thailand, many guys all the same. Met some great friends for life I stay in contact with even now, am meeting a mate I met in Thailand 4 years ago for Xmas in the Phils this year, and off to DR next year with another I met whilst traveling alone. I pretty much don't care what people think nowadays, they are mostly sheep who follow the flock and just don't question anything.