Problems with translation?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Problems with translation?

Post by Tsar »

Sometimes I encounter problems with Google translate. The word or phrase doesn't make total sense so I have to think of possible synonyms or do my best to guess the most probable meaning. Is there anyone who could help me become better at determining meanings or verifying I understand?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Problems with translation?

Post by zboy1 »

Tsar wrote:Sometimes I encounter problems with Google translate. The word or phrase doesn't make total sense so I have to think of possible synonyms or do my best to guess the most probable meaning. Is there anyone who could help me become better at determining meanings or verifying I understand?
Google translator is useless! I used it a few times to practice on my Korean, and the translations often come out garbled and incoherent. Even some basic Korean phrases that I know, come out incorrectly on Google translate. So my suggestion is to use another translator and don't bother using it.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

It depends on the language. Translation to Spanish is quite good. Translation to Hebrew is bad. I would be interested in any alternatives to Google Translate, especially for Hebrew.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Problems with translation?

Post by Tsar »

zboy1 wrote:
Tsar wrote:Sometimes I encounter problems with Google translate. The word or phrase doesn't make total sense so I have to think of possible synonyms or do my best to guess the most probable meaning. Is there anyone who could help me become better at determining meanings or verifying I understand?
Google translator is useless! I used it a few times to practice on my Korean, and the translations often come out garbled and incoherent. Even some basic Korean phrases that I know, come out incorrectly on Google translate. So my suggestion is to use another translator and don't bother using it.
I'm using it to communicate on VKontakte to translate Russian.