Should Winston get US citizenship for his son Angelo?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Should Winston get US citizenship for his son Angelo?

Post by Winston »

MatureDJ wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 5:43 pm
Winston, you were the unmarried US citizen father of Angelo. Therefore, to sponsor him for sui generis citizenship - which you must so before he turns 18 - is to prove that you had lived as a US citizen in the USA for 5 years, 3 years after age 14 (which I presume you could easily do), and then submit documentation of biological paternity (i.e., DNA test), and then sign an affidavit saying that you agree to support him financially until he is an adult.

So with his passport in hand, he would need to first be 18, then spend the same number of 5 years living in the USA, and then he would need to sponsor his mother, meaning he would need to show a steady income, or enough assets, and then she gets in line with everyone else doing this. And this presumes that the political situation will not have changed - with that change obviously being something that Trump represents, and even will become popular with the Democrats once Andrew Yang's idea of Guaranteed Income becomes a reality.

But of course, Angelo carries the same Y chromosome as you, and so he will not want to live in the USA either, but rather chase bar-girls like dear old dad.
But he already is a US citizen by birth. We received a certificate saying so, along with the passport. The certificate says that he is a US citizen through the CRBA, Consular Report of Birth Abroad. And the officer at the US Embassy said so too. Also I don't think it's possible for a non-US citizen to get a US passport. A US passport means you are a US citizen usually. That's common sense.

But I don't get something. The embassy officer said that Angelo could sponsor Dianne his mother, to emigrate to the US. However, this website below says that he has to be 21 first. Is that so?

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us ... child.html
The parents of a U.S. citizen who is at least age 21 are considered "immediate relatives" under U.S. immigration law. That means they are eligible for lawful permanent residence (a green card), allowing them to live and work in the United States. (See I.N.A. § 201(b), 8 U.S.C. § 1151(b).)
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Winston wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 11:11 am
But I don't get something. The embassy officer said that Angelo could sponsor Dianne his mother, to emigrate to the US. However, this website below says that he has to be 21 first. Is that so?
Yes, but the consolation prize is that Dianne should be able to get a tourist visa to the USA without a problem since she has an American child. I would recommend that Dianne register for the Immigrant Visa Lottery each year because that is a route to a green card without the 2 decade wait.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 11:24 am
Winston wrote:
Yes, but the consolation prize is that Dianne should be able to get a tourist visa to the USA without a problem since she has an American child. I would recommend that Dianne register for the Immigrant Visa Lottery each year because that is a route to a green card without the 2 decade wait.
I hope so. Her interview with the US Embassy for a tourist visa is in two weeks. Hope she passes. So all she has to do is say that she wants to visit the US with Angelo since he just became a citizen, and that should do it?

Why would there be a 2 decade wait to get an immigrant visa from our son? In 1977 my mom got us an immigrant visa to the USA from her sister in a short period of time. That's why we moved there.

What is this Immigrant Visa Lottery about? Any links or info on it? Wouldn't there be millions of people on such a list? And wouldn't Donald Trump try to make it more difficult for immigrants? Usually a lottery is not easy to win at all, the odds are astronomical, so why would you recommend such a thing?

How do you know anything about immigrant visas to the US? You don't have any children right?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw, we also received a piece of paper saying that if Angelo wants to get a social security number in the US, to submit "original copies" of our passports to the Social Security Office at the US Embassy in Manila. Either by mail in or in person.

However, I don't understand the instructions, because "original copy" sounds like an oxymoron. Do they mean our original passports or copies of our passports? If the passports themselves, then how do we get them back if we mail them in? It doesn't say. And if photocopies of the passports, then why use the term "original copy"? I'm confused. This sounds like a contradiction and oxymoron. Anyone know? Or should I call them or email them and ask?

It's odd that a government sheet of instructions would contain a big oxymoron like that. Strange. Usually government documents are specific, not self-contradictory like that. lol

Also, why would Angelo need a SSN? For what? Isn't that only for if he lives in the US? If he's not living in the US then he doesn't need one right?

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Winston wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 11:42 am
I hope so. Her interview with the US Embassy for a tourist visa is in two weeks. Hope she passes. So all she has to do is say that she wants to visit the US with Angelo since he just became a citizen, and that should do it?
Not quite.... She needs to convince the Consular Officer that she has enough solid ties in her home country that she will return. If she can show documents proving long term current employment, family ties in her home country, and assets like real estate and old bank accounts, she has a chance. They will also ask her why she is visiting the USA, and what she plans to do there. She should expect to be asked why you and she are not married. So long as she can sufficiently establish that she will come back after visiting, and all her stories make sense, she should have a shot. Be advised that unmarried women have a notoriously difficult time getting US tourist visas because their high rate of overstaying their visas.
Winston wrote: Why would there be a 2 decade wait to get an immigrant visa from our son? In 1977 my mom got us an immigrant visa to the USA from her sister in a short period of time. That's why we moved there.
Because the sponsoring American citizen must be 21 years old to sponsor a relative for a green card. Unless you marry her and sponsor her sooner, she must wait for her son to do it.
Winston wrote: What is this Immigrant Visa Lottery about? Any links or info on it? Wouldn't there be millions of people on such a list? And wouldn't Donald Trump try to make it more difficult for immigrants? Usually a lottery is not easy to win at all, the odds are astronomical, so why would you recommend such a thing?

How do you know anything about immigrant visas to the US? You don't have any children right?
I used to work in the State Department and had to work under certain provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act on several occasions. The Diversity Visa Program is a lottery, but the odds are not all that high. I know several people who won the visa lottery and now have US Green Cards. More info below.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigran ... sity-visa/
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Winston wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 11:47 am
I don't understand the instructions, because "original copy" sounds like an oxymoron. Do they mean our original passports or copies of our passports? If the passports themselves, then how do we get them back if we mail them in? It doesn't say. And if photocopies of the passports, then why use the term "original copy"? I'm confused. This sounds like a contradiction and oxymoron. Anyone know? Or should I call them or email them and ask?
You should call or visit the consulate and ask just to be sure, but usually that means a notarized copy where the notary was able to view the original and then certify the copy as true and valid. US Consulates will notarize those copies for you, but for a fee.
Winston wrote: Also, why would Angelo need a SSN? For what? Isn't that only for if he lives in the US? If he's not living in the US then he doesn't need one right?
-If he wants to be employable in the USA because employers need SSN for payroll tax processing and W-2 processing.
-If he wants to qualify for student loans or grants.
-If he wants to qualify for a mortgage or other bank loans.
-If he wants to establish credit.
-If he wants to open bank accounts in the USA.
-If he wants to be able to draw Supplemental Social Security if he becomes disabled while young.
-If he wants to be earn Social Security credits from his US employment which will entitle him to payments at age 62.
-If he wants to join the US military.
-If he wants to be able to file required taxes.

I think passport applications require SSNs also so that would be a good reason.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

June 12th, 2019, 6:30 pm
Winston wrote:
Not quite.... She needs to convince the Consular Officer that she has enough solid ties in her home country that she will return. If she can show documents proving long term current employment, family ties in her home country, and assets like real estate and old bank accounts, she has a chance. They will also ask her why she is visiting the USA, and what she plans to do there. She should expect to be asked why you and she are not married. So long as she can sufficiently establish that she will come back after visiting, and all her stories make sense, she should have a shot. Be advised that unmarried women have a notoriously difficult time getting US tourist visas because their high rate of overstaying their visas.
Winston wrote: Why would there be a 2 decade wait to get an immigrant visa from our son? In 1977 my mom got us an immigrant visa to the USA from her sister in a short period of time. That's why we moved there.
Because the sponsoring American citizen must be 21 years old to sponsor a relative for a green card. Unless you marry her and sponsor her sooner, she must wait for her son to do it.
Winston wrote: What is this Immigrant Visa Lottery about? Any links or info on it? Wouldn't there be millions of people on such a list? And wouldn't Donald Trump try to make it more difficult for immigrants? Usually a lottery is not easy to win at all, the odds are astronomical, so why would you recommend such a thing?

I used to work in the State Department and had to work under certain provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act on several occasions. The Diversity Visa Program is a lottery, but the odds are not all that high. I know several people who won the visa lottery and now have US Green Cards. More info below.

But what if Dianne doesn't have steady employment or assets? The thing is, I heard that the US Embassy is more lenient now about things like that, and starting to let Filipinos without employment or assets come to the US now on a tourist visa. Dianne told me that her friends got tourist visas to the US even without any employment or assets or sizable bank account. So it seems the laws are getting more lax now. Also I heard that some wealthy Filipinos get rejected too. So it seems subjective, based on whether the interviewer likes you or not or gets a good vibe from you. You know what I mean?

Besides, Dianne already has multiple entry/exit stamps in her passport to Hong Kong and Taiwan. So with a record of not overstaying in other Asian countries, that should vouch for her credibility of not overstaying in the US right? Should she bring that up during the interview?

Well Dianne's sister has lived in Las Vegas for 3 or 4 years now and has her green card. When she gets her passport and becomes a US citizen, she can sponsor Dianne right? How many relatives can a person sponsor to come to the US? And how long does it take? I don't wanna marry someone just to get them an immigrant visa, especially if we aren't truly in love.

About that visa lottery. It says Filipinos are not qualified to participate. See below.

Philippine-born applicants are excluded from the Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery Program. Only natives of countries who are determined by the U.S. Attorney General to be “low admission” countries may compete for immigration under this program.
Did you know that? :P

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

June 12th, 2019, 6:45 pm
Winston wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 11:47 am
I don't understand the instructions, because "original copy" sounds like an oxymoron. Do they mean our original passports or copies of our passports? If the passports themselves, then how do we get them back if we mail them in? It doesn't say. And if photocopies of the passports, then why use the term "original copy"? I'm confused. This sounds like a contradiction and oxymoron. Anyone know? Or should I call them or email them and ask?
You should call or visit the consulate and ask just to be sure, but usually that means a notarized copy where the notary was able to view the original and then certify the copy as true and valid. US Consulates will notarize those copies for you, but for a fee.
Winston wrote: Also, why would Angelo need a SSN? For what? Isn't that only for if he lives in the US? If he's not living in the US then he doesn't need one right?
-If he wants to be employable in the USA because employers need SSN for payroll tax processing and W-2 processing.
-If he wants to qualify for student loans or grants.
-If he wants to qualify for a mortgage or other bank loans.
-If he wants to establish credit.
-If he wants to open bank accounts in the USA.
-If he wants to be able to draw Supplemental Social Security if he becomes disabled while young.
-If he wants to be earn Social Security credits from his US employment which will entitle him to payments at age 62.
-If he wants to join the US military.
-If he wants to be able to file required taxes.

I think passport applications require SSNs also so that would be a good reason.
Then why doesn't the instruction sheet mention "notarized copy"? Why does it say "original copy"? Very odd. I'll try to find those same instructions online and show it to you.

Well Angelo already has his US passport. He didn't need a social security number to get one. So I don't know what you mean.

So he doesn't need a SSN right now right? Should he get one anyway just to be safe?

Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

If I had a son, one thing that might concern me, is if he were 18 and had a 15 year old girlfriend, and then the state gets involved because of they are offended.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Post by MatureDJ »

Winston wrote:
But he already is a US citizen by birth. We received a certificate saying so, along with the passport. The certificate says that he is a US citizen through the CRBA, Consular Report of Birth Abroad. And the officer at the US Embassy said so too. Also I don't think it's possible for a non-US citizen to get a US passport. A US passport means you are a US citizen usually. That's common sense.

https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us ... child.html
The parents of a U.S. citizen who is at least age 21 are considered "immediate relatives" under U.S. immigration law. That means they are eligible for lawful permanent residence (a green card), allowing them to live and work in the United States. (See I.N.A. § 201(b), 8 U.S.C. § 1151(b).)
I stand corrected about a parent not being "immediate family".

If Angelo is already a US citizen, with the CRBA already done, you should not have titled the question the way you had.

Angelo would need to establish a domicile and meet the requirements of the affidavit of support.
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Post by MatureDJ »

Winston wrote:
And wouldn't Donald Trump try to make it more difficult for immigrants?
Of course he is trying to make it more difficult, although presumably not for very attractive Eastern European women like the majority of his wives.

BTW, I think that with Guaranteed Income coming soon - being pushed by your fellow Chinaman POTUS candidate Andrew Yang - a very large majority of folks will become immigration restrictionists, if only to limit the number of folks feeding at the trough.
MatureDJ
Junior Poster

Post by MatureDJ »

Neo wrote:
June 15th, 2019, 6:57 pm
If I had a son, one thing that might concern me, is if he were 18 and had a 15 year old girlfriend, and then the state gets involved because of they are offended.
Neo is correct. Since Angelo is a USA citizen, if he is 18+ and bangs a 15 year old, in any country, he is considered a child molester and can be prosecuted in the USA.

The question to ask is if he will grow up to be as much of a sex addict as Pops. :D
DjD4u
Freshman Poster

Post by DjD4u »

Hello,

If you or someone you know needs to have a DNA test performed, I highly recommend PaternityUSA.com.
They offer the most affordable and yet the most trusted DNA tests in the USA.
All the tests are performed by the same lab you see on many TV shows like Maury, Steve Wilkos, Paternity Court etc...

You can get - Y-STR DNA testing for $155
You can get - paternity testing for $115
You can get - maternity testing for $115
You can get - sibling DNA testing for $135
You can get - grandparent DNA testing for $135
You can get - aunt - Uncle Avuncular DNA testing for $135

You can also call Toll Free (877) 786-9543
johnwill
Freshman Poster

Post by johnwill »

Hi,
I want to apply for US Citizenship through marriage please guide me