Thailand wins over Philippines in spite that they are less educated for the following reasons:Mr S wrote:Pretty much, they mirror each other. Although I think the Philippines is actually worse in some respects, especially corruption.
1) They are more nationalistic, are all one landmass and consist of fewer ethnic groups and more or less present a very homogenous culture. Easier to rule.
2) They are better positioned geographically and have a better organized agriculture.
3) working masses there are very obedient( by culture )of the rich, and do what they are told ( as a rule, that is- protesting students are an exception). In the Philippines, people can be more recalcitrant ( by culture again), more hot tempered and less obedient of authority. (It is the same reason why Japan is richer than Korea. I personally think that an average Japanese is not as smart as an average Korean, but they are disciplined and obedient and follow rules. Hence the country works in unison, while in Korea, there are more smart asses and everyone is trying to do his part and the country is not as united).
4) they promoted export-oriented economy as well as tourism rigorously ( their country is ugly, in my opinion, but they sold it as exotic and beautiful- Emperor's new clothes). The Philippines did not initially put as much effort into promoting export and tourism, although now it is trying to catch up.
5) Thais are more two faced than Filipinos and are better at diplomacy and pulling wool over people's eyes. More vicious and sneaky. Filipinos are more open and more into your face and more honest ( yup, compared to Thais, that is; not compared to , say,Finns of Norwegians) . They go around the world telling people as it is about their country and is problems.
Thais, otoh, say nothing but good things about their country to foreigners, while Pinoys tell the truth. Another minus with investors.
Koreans are investing en masse in the Philippines because THEY CANNOT READ NEWSPAPERS IN ENGLISH and do not know what is going on!
All foreigners are investing in Thaland because no one can read newspapers in Thai and no one knows what is going on there.