I want a Phd.

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: I want a Phd.

Post by gsjackson »

Corny, I want to encourage you to strongly consider following up on this. You've got the chops to do academics, as long as you remain aware of the environment you're in and its limitations. if you do history you actually will run into a lot of people who could legitimately be categorized as professionals. I've got 40 graduate hours in history and did my dissertation under a historian teaching in the journalism dept., so I've run across a lot of them. While some are politicized, most of them really have wanted to do history professionally and get it right. There may be more now, though, who do it to serve an agenda.

Anyway, burrowing into your own little niche and seeing where it takes you sounds more rewarding than internet pissing contests. I don't know where you should do your masters -- Europe and the cost of programs there are what I'm familiar with -- but when it comes time to apply for PhD programs American universities are where the chances are good to get fully funded.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

HouseMD wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 6:25 pm
Cornfed wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 6:07 pm
This is a longtime life goal. I want to be called Dr. Cornfed, and I believe I’ve earned it, or at least I could earn it. As to the subject, it doesn’t really matter. Science involves boring lab equipment and isn’t really going anyway anyway, so perhaps Classics, or more likely, History. I obviously can’t do this through the normal process but if I understand correctly there are some universities that are internationally accredited that will let us older guys in. Any advice? I want what will be accepted as a real degree, not a fake one like Mr. David Duke’s.
Do you have a bachelor's or master's degree?
Unfortunately I have a couple of bachelors degrees, so yeah I would probably have to do some sort of masters degree.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 8:46 pm
I don't know where you should do your masters -- Europe and the cost of programs there are what I'm familiar with -- but when it comes time to apply for PhD programs American universities are where the chances are good to get fully funded.
Oddly enough there are programs do get fully funded to do degrees in English in Russia and elsewhere conditional on getting a high score in a test administered by their respective embassies. I don't know why they would do this, and don't know what form these tests take.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

gsjackson wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 8:46 pm
Corny, I want to encourage you to strongly consider following up on this. You've got the chops to do academics, as long as you remain aware of the environment you're in and its limitations. if you do history you actually will run into a lot of people who could legitimately be categorized as professionals. I've got 40 graduate hours in history and did my dissertation under a historian teaching in the journalism dept., so I've run across a lot of them. While some are politicized, most of them really have wanted to do history professionally and get it right. There may be more now, though, who do it to serve an agenda.

Anyway, burrowing into your own little niche and seeing where it takes you sounds more rewarding than internet pissing contests. I don't know where you should do your masters -- Europe and the cost of programs there are what I'm familiar with -- but when it comes time to apply for PhD programs American universities are where the chances are good to get fully funded.
What are the costs of masters programs in Europe? Can someone with a bachelors go for a PhD in the same field? Do universities give PhD students a free ride and work PhD students for a decent wage while they are studying? Would they have to study two years to be academically qualified to teach if they came in with a bachelors and no masters like (some of the schools) in the US?

For the social and hard sciences, how are Ph.D.'s taught statistics in the apprenticeship-style system of a European Ph.D. program.

Return to “Questions and Advice”