How long should someone get an AirBnB before leasing?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Light
Freshman Poster

How long should someone get an AirBnB before leasing?

Post by Light »

I am moving abroad this year. I am planning on getting an AirBnB but I recently learned although I have an easy time getting a Residence Permit, I probably need to have my own place for that. I am wondering how long I should stay in an AirBnB before I should lease or buy, or if I could work out details with the AirBnB Host so I could get a Residence Permit while staying at the AirBnB longer than 90 Days for ask the Host if they would offer a long-term lease because I'm planning on moving to that country?

Also, how long should I wait before consulting a realty agent to discuss renting or buying a place after arriving?

Is it better to stay in an AirBnB for 60 or 80 days, or try to shorten it so I can get my own residence and an easier time getting a residence visa and opening a bank account abroad?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How long should someone get an AirBnB before leasing?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Light wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 12:21 am
I am moving abroad this year. I am planning on getting an AirBnB but I recently learned although I have an easy time getting a Residence Permit, I probably need to have my own place for that. I am wondering how long I should stay in an AirBnB before I should lease or buy, or if I could work out details with the AirBnB Host so I could get a Residence Permit while staying at the AirBnB longer than 90 Days for ask the Host if they would offer a long-term lease because I'm planning on moving to that country?

Also, how long should I wait before consulting a realty agent to discuss renting or buying a place after arriving?

Is it better to stay in an AirBnB for 60 or 80 days, or try to shorten it so I can get my own residence and an easier time getting a residence visa and opening a bank account abroad?
Finding and settling into suitable housing is one of the most important factors in being comfortable abroad. That being said, don’t rush it for some administrative reason.

Just to let you know, I have a foreign residency with the address being my favorite hotel where I stay when I am there. That was more than suitable and when I renew in a few years, I suspect it might be the same story.
Light
Freshman Poster

Post by Light »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 12:39 am
Light wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 12:21 am

Finding and settling into suitable housing is one of the most important factors in being comfortable abroad. That being said, don’t rush it for some administrative reason.

Just to let you know, I have a foreign residency with the address being my favorite hotel where I stay when I am there. That was more than suitable and when I renew in a few years, I suspect it might be the same story.
How did you get to use a hotel as your place for foreign residency? How do you get mail delivered to a hotel and does it have a fee involved for the hotel handling the mail? Do some hotels offer a kitchen and dining room in the hotel room?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Light wrote:
September 4th, 2020, 1:18 am
How did you get to use a hotel as your place for foreign residency?
I simply used the address because that is where I stay while in-country. It's as simple as that.
Light wrote: How do you get mail delivered to a hotel and does it have a fee involved for the hotel handling the mail?
I don't receive any surface mail overseas. All correspondence for the residency was online and via email. I suppose if I did need to receive hard mail, I would have used my attorney's office address.
Light wrote: Do some hotels offer a kitchen and dining room in the hotel room?
Some hotels offer apartments but they are very expensive. Long-term stay hotels do offer kitchens and small dining areas.

It is not something I insist upon because I eat out everyday or order food. About the only thing I value very much now is a self-service laundry room in the hotel. That is worth its weight in gold for me overseas. If not, I will choose a location with self-service laundry not so far away.