Choosing an online TEFL course?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Choosing an online TEFL course?

Post by Tsar »

I will be starting an online TEFL course soon in the next week or ten days. I could use advice on whether one for about $350 and accredited by Accreditat is sufficient or do I need to delay so I can afford a $1,500 online TEFL course.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Choosing an online TEFL course?

Post by gsjackson »

Try to get a feel for the Bulgarian market and see if they hire people with online certification. I'm guessing there are plenty of employers in Sofia and/or elsewhere in the country who would take a native English speaker with a less-than-optimal certification credential. But if you're going to spend $1,500, for God's sake don't take an online course. I'm sure you wouldn't have to pay any more than that for the in-person courses, even for a CELTA (which apparently is far more intense than I would want) in Bulgaria. And you'd get to know some people in the course. As many people have told you, you need to start networking.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

gsjackson wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 2:16 pm
Try to get a feel for the Bulgarian market and see if they hire people with online certification. I'm guessing there are plenty of employers in Sofia and/or elsewhere in the country who would take a native English speaker with a less-than-optimal certification credential. But if you're going to spend $1,500, for God's sake don't take an online course. I'm sure you wouldn't have to pay any more than that for the in-person courses, even for a CELTA (which apparently is far more intense than I would want) in Bulgaria. And you'd get to know some people in the course. As many people have told you, you need to start networking.
I applied to join InterNations or I think that is what its called but they can deny applications to join. I don't know how to find other expat groups to network.

About the CELTA, I could not afford to do it in Boston or anywhere in the US, and nowhere it is offered in the EU.

Right now I am just staying at AirBnBs which will help my money last longer and my income go further. If I cannot get a residency permit within the 90 days then I need to take a train to Romania to spend 90 days there before returning to Sofia since all I can do until I have enough to get a place is to use AirBnB and be a nomad.

Life in America woud be worse because I would be homeless right now.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Huh? You can get a CELTA in most of the large cities of Europe. Here's one in Sofia:

http://www.teflcertificates-avo.com/en/ ... -sofia-8-8

But before doing a CELTA I would talk to Corny or Mr Peabody about it. Those courses are very intense. There are other in-person options.

If you need to withdraw from Bulgaria for 90 days consider Nis, Serbia, just 100 miles away from Sofia -- a 2 1/2 hour bus ride -- where I am until Dec. 15. It's a fantastic city, even as currently locked down by the lunatics with a 6 p.m. curfew for restaurants, stores and cafes. And dirt cheap. Of all the places I've been to in Europe over the past 12 years Nis is the one I'd give most consideration to settling down in.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

gsjackson wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 8:02 pm
Huh? You can get a CELTA in most of the large cities of Europe. Here's one in Sofia:

But before doing a CELTA I would talk to Corny or Mr Peabody about it. Those courses are very intense. There are other in-person options.

If you need to withdraw from Bulgaria for 90 days consider Nis, Serbia, just 100 miles away from Sofia -- a 2 1/2 hour bus ride -- where I am until Dec. 15. It's a fantastic city, even as currently locked down by the lunatics with a 6 p.m. curfew for restaurants, stores and cafes. And dirt cheap. Of all the places I've been to in Europe over the past 12 years Nis is the one I'd give most consideration to settling down in.
I was thinking about Serbia but I wasn't sure. Thank you for the suggestion. Are there any other coronavirus restrictions like special hours at grocery stores for retirees?

In Bulgaria 13:30-16:30 is for retirees only. I found that out my second day.

Thank you for the link for CELTA in Sofia.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Tsar wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 12:07 am
gsjackson wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 8:02 pm

I was thinking about Serbia but I wasn't sure. Thank you for the suggestion. Are there any other coronavirus restrictions like special hours at grocery stores for retirees?

In Bulgaria 13:30-16:30 is for retirees only. I found that out my second day.

Thank you for the link for CELTA in Sofia.
No such restrictions that I know of. The current curfew is supposed to end in eight days. Compared to the U.S. Serbia has a less oppressive Crazy Time regime because nobody wears face diapers at the gyms, and the Serbs don't self police. You're required to wear them at stores, but if you have them below the nose, even on the chin as many Serbs do, you won't get any stink eyes or lectures about proper diaper protocol. Virtue signaling and moral one-upmanship are just not in the Serb makeup.

You can get into Serbia with an American passport if needed, with no test required.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

I decided to go with the TEFL.
There are usually no entry requirements for being accepted onto a TEFL course, apart from a keen interest in teaching abroad. No previous teaching experience is required. However, before enrolling in a TEFL course, it is recommended you have a native level or excellent grasp of the English language.

It’s ideal for people who are looking for their first teaching job abroad, or qualified teachers looking to improve their skills with ESL students. TEFL is more suited to people who want to gain an introduction to English teaching or extend their existing teaching skills in an international or ESL setting. TEFL courses teach basic techniques for successfully teaching English to ESL students in an overseas classroom.

It is also useful for TEFL students to hold a bachelor’s degree because this will improve the chances of securing a good teaching job if you intend to teach overseas after you have completed the course.

One of the main benefits of TEFL is that many good quality courses are offered online and tend to be more flexible. This means the course can be completed conveniently alongside studies or work. There are no set class times or deadlines that you have to meet, unlike CELTA or in-person TEFL equivalents.
https://teflonline.teachaway.com/blog/d ... efl-celta/

I read that website and I figure since most people only have a TEFL certificate and later might apply for the CELTA that it would be better. I also cannot afford £1099-£1399 but even if I could, I cannot wait until 2021 for a chance to be accepted. It is better I get a TEFL now especially since that is what most people have starting out.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Tsar wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 4:57 pm
gsjackson wrote:
I applied to join InterNations or I think that is what its called but they can deny applications to join. I don't know how to find other expat groups to network.

About the CELTA, I could not afford to do it in Boston or anywhere in the US, and nowhere it is offered in the EU.

Right now I am just staying at AirBnBs which will help my money last longer and my income go further. If I cannot get a residency permit within the 90 days then I need to take a train to Romania to spend 90 days there before returning to Sofia since all I can do until I have enough to get a place is to use AirBnB and be a nomad.

That's not true, CELTA is offered everywhere in Europe, I bet I can find a CELTA provider in Sofia.

And I found one with 10 seconds of Google. :roll: (seems gsjackson beat me to it!)

http://www.teflcertificates-avo.com/

It's 1100 Euros!

That is the recognised certificate langauge for all those schools in Europe - paying 1500 dollars for some online course that won't be recognised by anyone. You're mad.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

yick wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 4:22 am
Tsar wrote:
November 29th, 2020, 4:57 pm
gsjackson wrote:

That's not true, CELTA is offered everywhere in Europe, I bet I can find a CELTA provider in Sofia.

And I found one with 10 seconds of Google. :roll: (seems gsjackson beat me to it!)

http://www.teflcertificates-avo.com/

It's 1100 Euros!

That is the recognised certificate langauge for all those schools in Europe - paying 1500 dollars for some online course that won't be recognised by anyone. You're mad.
It will is not 1100 Euros it is 1100 British Pounds.

I cannot currently afford $1500 which is the equivalent of £1100.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Tsar wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 5:19 am
Well that is a bit problematic given that the CELTA is the recognised entry level qualification used to ascertain whether you know what you are doing. It is not just about getting the certificate. You might actually want to learn something, like how to stand up and give lessons before an actual class. You can't get that online.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Cornfed wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 11:02 am
Tsar wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 5:19 am
Well that is a bit problematic given that the CELTA is the recognised entry level qualification used to ascertain whether you know what you are doing. It is not just about getting the certificate. You might actually want to learn something, like how to stand up and give lessons before an actual class. You can't get that online's
I should probably wait to save the money for CELTA. I need to buy a shirt and pants. I had to leave America on really short notice so I left a lot behind with family. Only so much I could fit in my suitcases and I brought more winter clothes and cool club fashion to look cool for girls in the summer. I figured I would buy some here if I needed any before I retrieve my possessions from America. Maybe I should get the TEFL so it looks better when I apply for the CELTA program to show I am more serious about it?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Tsar wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 2:00 pm
Maybe I should get the TEFL so it looks better when I apply for the CELTA program to show I am more serious about it?
That sounds like double handling. Just know your grammar and apply for the CELTA. When I did the CELTA there was a pre-test for English grammar and an interview to check whether you knew something about teaching. It seems unreasonable given that you are paying them, but then they are trying to cram a lot into four weeks, so you have to be at a reasonable level for it to be fair to the other students.
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Cornfed wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 2:24 pm
Tsar wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 2:00 pm
Maybe I should get the TEFL so it looks better when I apply for the CELTA program to show I am more serious about it?
That sounds like double handling. Just know your grammar and apply for the CELTA. When I did the CELTA there was a pre-test for English grammar and an interview to check whether you knew something about teaching. It seems unreasonable given that you are paying them, but then they are trying to cram a lot into four weeks, so you have to be at a reasonable level for it to be fair to the other students.
I think I am great at English since I am a native speaker and even better at written English. I would consider myself better than 99% of Americans at grammar, especially written grammar. I don't have any teaching experience.

If you think it is better I just save for the CELTA and only do it then that's what I will do.

I just tend to have a lot of bad luck so I typically expect the worst and hope for the best (outside of America since in America it is usually always the worst outcomes...one of the reasons I left). If they consider me a poor candidate and not accept me into the program then should I do the TEFL?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Tsar wrote:
November 30th, 2020, 4:30 pm
I think I am great at English since I am a native speaker and even better at written English. I would consider myself better than 99% of Americans at grammar, especially written grammar.
There is being good at something and being good at teaching it. For example, you have to be able to consciously explain what you are doing and why. According to modern teaching theory this should be a minor part of your job, but you still need some ability to do it. Then there is classroom presence, how loud to talk etc.
If they consider me a poor candidate and not accept me into the program then should I do the TEFL?
I guess.