US Education Sucks

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

US Education Sucks

Post by CannedHam »

I'm very familiar with education in the US and it's a joke nowadays.

1. Everything revolves around "equity". In other words, closing the achievement gap among the races. The amount of money, time, and effort spent on this goal is mind-numbing. The worst part is that public schools simply lower the standards for all students rather than focus on helping the 10-20% underperformers, which BTW can't be helped since they are usually loser thugs whose parents don't give a shit. Back in my day schools would try to pick out the academically talented early, give them a rigorous education among like-minded academically-focused students, and set them up for success in high school. A lot of these early academically-talented programs have been gutted.

2. Moron teachers. When I went to college, the biggest idiots were the ones aiming to be teachers. The teacher's union is an abomination. Young and motivated teachers are treated like dirt, while older tenured teachers are untouchable. Look at how many teachers didn't want to go back to teaching during the pandemic, despite being vaccinated. Yet my neighbor, a Costco worker, never missed a day even during peak panic in March/April 2020 when stores were packed around the clock.

3. Inability to remove problem students. Decades ago, violence or drug offenses would result in expulsion to a "special" school, which was basically a glorified juvenile detention center. You then started a career at pizza hut or being a roofer. It's basically impossible to remove major problematic students nowadays.

4. Lowering of standards. I looked at my nephews 7th grade math curriculum a few months ago. This was stuff we had to master in 5th/6th grade. And the severe underperformers were help back. Many schools have also significantly reduced their advanced course offerings.

5. Infestation by liberal SJW teachers. Despite a huge % of students not meeting reading standards, schools still have time to teach the 20 genders or why being trans is perfectly normal. Years ago you were taught to respect everyone or risk getting your ass beat. Teachers will push their liberal agendas rather than allowing free discussion. Conservative counterpoints are penalized.

Private schools might be the answer but around here, there are basically three types of private schools:

1. Elite private schools that cost $50k/year and you will be outcast if you are not from the top 1%. If you are from the top 1%, reasonably intelligent, you will probably go to an ivy-league school and do well in life.

2. Hyper-religious schools that spend 25% of student time on church.

3. Affordable private schools that are basically no different than public schools. The only real benefit they offer is that it's easier to expel students. The catch is that a lot of students kicked out of public schools attend these types of private schools.
Outcast9428
Experienced Poster

Re: US Education Sucks

Post by Outcast9428 »

I've been starting to think lately that public education in the US should be abolished. Its been a complete disaster and every year its weaknesses are becoming more and more obvious.

Studies show that homeschooled students learn more, do better in college, and are more competitive than their public school peers. Perhaps it is time we, as a nation, start thinking about doing away with public education and moving towards completely privatized education.