What to do with your stuff

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

What to do with your stuff

Post by Cornfed »

I realised this is a generic question and hasn't really been addressed so from another thread:
Another question is - What do I do with my stuff. One answer is to cram it into my car and stick my car somewhere with a cover over it. But maybe since I am leaving for a while, I should sell my car. So where does my precious childhood stuff go? One answer is to store it, but storage fees are now outrageous, so that’s out. (This wouldn’t be an issue if my parents hadn’t died. Selfish jerks.) One answer is to throw it away. I guess a third option I just thought of is to wrap in up in garbage bags and stash in as you would stash the body of someone you had murdered. Thoughts?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: What to do with your stuff

Post by Cornfed »

Why in gods name has there not been a reply to this essential question.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Put away stuff while u go abroad? Usually u either sell it or u put it in a paid storage area or u leave it with friends or relatives. Get rid of excess stuff.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Winston wrote:
June 26th, 2021, 4:53 am
Put away stuff while u go abroad? Usually u either sell it or u put it in a paid storage area or u leave it with friends or relatives. Get rid of excess stuff.
No shit. Could anyone be a little more helpful?
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Why don't you go to your brother or your other siblings and offer them a grand to keep it for a year or two. I don't know if you are on speaking terms or not but offer them a bit of cash whilst you're away. I am not massively close to my siblings but I would store stuff for them if they came to me and asked and I am sure they would for me. They would probably pull a face and have a bit of a moan but they would do it - you might have issues of losing face if you haven't spoken to them for awhile but they're going to be interested in you and you move to Mexico. You might be surprised if you actually give that a go.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

BTW, this is more an existential thing. Both my parents are dead, my family home is sold. There is northing left. So when I"m leaving, it would appear, I'm leaving.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Cornfed wrote:
June 26th, 2021, 5:59 am
BTW, this is more an existential thing. Both my parents are dead, my family home is sold. There is northing left. So when I"m leaving, it would appear, I'm leaving.
If that's the case, then maybe getting rid of your stuff that was part of your life in New Zealand can be a way of symbolising a new start - if Mexico is going to be for the long haul if not forever and you have nothing and no-one to come back to - as hard as it is to let things go that are of sentimental value and mean a lot - if you can see the ridding of it as something that signals a new start then maybe that would make things easier... I wish I could say 'bring it round my house and I will keep it for a few years...' but if you don't have a brother or a sister or a mate with a house then looking at it symbolically might help with the pain of giving away things from you childhood (and past...) that are valuable and priceless... I wish I could be of more help than that.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

As far as I understand you are living in a rented apartment and the contract will be cancelled when you are leaving without intention to come back?
Where are you going? Moving within New Zealand or overseas? For how long? How much material is it you want to keep? How many cartons, what is the volume? What is your plan, your intention...To keep a car, registered with number, somewhere parking in the street? Makes no sense, away with this car, sell it.

To leave items with friends, relatives etc. is no good advice out of my own experience.
When I left Europe, I left some boxes with my old father and two friends and when I came back for a few days only after ten years, I could not find anything anymore, all gone.

Here in Japan, I would call any warehouse or company which are doing house-moving, it is possible for them to keep items against receipt, packed in cartons in their storages for a very long time and the fee is cheap, usually deducted from a banking account or creditcard. How it is in New Zealand, I don't know of course.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

How much stuff do you have Cornfed? If it fits into a car it can't be that much. Can't you rent a space at a U Haul? It's usually not expensive. You just rent a little box. Maybe the post office will have boxes you can rent or PO boxes? Don't you have relatives like aunts or uncles? Or you can sell it at a garage sell or donate it to a thrift store?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

yick wrote:
June 26th, 2021, 7:17 am
Cornfed wrote:
If that's the case, then maybe getting rid of your stuff that was part of your life in New Zealand can be a way of symbolising a new start - if Mexico is going to be for the long haul if not forever and you have nothing and no-one to come back to - as hard as it is to let things go that are of sentimental value and mean a lot - if you can see the ridding of it as something that signals a new start then maybe that would make things easier... I wish I could say 'bring it round my house and I will keep it for a few years...' but if you don't have a brother or a sister or a mate with a house then looking at it symbolically might help with the pain of giving away things from you childhood (and past...) that are valuable and priceless... I wish I could be of more help than that.
Yeah you're right. The only thing I have here that I can claim are gravestones. And it is strange. People here seem to have blotted me from their memories, even though I was in a fairly public position just of few years ago. Weird. It is like I have been literally un-personed somehow. If you are me that is a good thing to some extent, but still it is strange.
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Cornfed wrote:
June 26th, 2021, 11:52 pm
yick wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Yeah you're right. The only thing I have here that I can claim are gravestones. And it is strange. People here seem to have blotted me from their memories, even though I was in a fairly public position just of few years ago. Weird. It is like I have been literally un-personed somehow. If you are me that is a good thing to some extent, but still it is strange.
Well it is, because you can now make a new life in a land that still encourages settlers - this is an exciting time really if you see it in its correct context. Mexico is a big country with a lot of land and it wants people to go and live there - no-one is going to kick you out, you can make a living, you can find romance and love - the sun will shine on your back mostly, you can eat nice food, you will live in a western environment.

Plenty of nazis f***ed off to Latin America and made lives for themselves after the war - in fact many Spanish, Italian, German and Eastern European immigrants made their way to Latin America after the war - it was a land of plenty where you could eat three times a day though all that was there for them was work and a kick up the arse - some went back but many didn't - from the high ranking nazi war criminal to the poor Spanish immigrant - they all had to give up personal momentoes of value, things that were of priceless sentimental value - I am sure your forefathers that left Scotland for New Zealand back in the day had to do the same.

Take what you can in an extra suitcase - photos, letters and smallish things of sentimental value - the rest sell or leave where you think might be a safe place - if I am right that the things you are leaving behind are actual gravestones - well, New Zealand has a lot of land - go somewhere and wrap them up and bury them in land in a desolate spot and you should be able to find them if you come back.

This is a time when you say goodbye to a past wrought with pain, suffering and disappointment and hello to a new life of hope - one your ancestors and mine took though to different continents - the dream and the hope were the same though. Feel blessed and honoured that you are carrying on a family tradition of emigration and not staying put.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Cornfed wrote:
yick wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Do you mean people just eject you too and ditch you for no reason? It feels like a conspiracy against u. Isnt it because they know you're racist and nonconformist and have taboo views? When u are like that people sense your vibe and wavelength is different so they avoid you. Women especially pick up on nonconformists because women are more hive minded and judgmental toward people who dont fit in or conform. Even if the nonconformist is in the right and has a valid argument, they still hate them. I dont get why most women are so shallow and judgmental in a negative way?

yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

Winston wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 5:41 am
Cornfed wrote:
yick wrote:
Cornfed wrote:
Do you mean people just eject you too and ditch you for no reason? It feels like a conspiracy against u. Isnt it because they know you're racist and nonconformist and have taboo views? When u are like that people sense your vibe and wavelength is different so they avoid you. Women especially pick up on nonconformists because women are more hive minded and judgmental toward people who dont fit in or conform. Even if the nonconformist is in the right and has a valid argument, they still hate them. I dont get why most women are so shallow and judgmental in a negative way?
I think he is talking about family members - he said he had a brother who was a surgeon or a scientist... I forget.

When it comes to that, you're free to go and settle wherever you want.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Winston wrote:
Do you mean people just eject you too and ditch you for no reason? It feels like a conspiracy against u. Isnt it because they know you're racist and nonconformist and have taboo views?
No, you would think that but it is more like they just forgot about me. lt is so very strange.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Cornfed wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 12:17 pm
Winston wrote:
Do you mean people just eject you too and ditch you for no reason? It feels like a conspiracy against u. Isnt it because they know you're racist and nonconformist and have taboo views?
No, you would think that but it is more like they just forgot about me. lt is so very strange.
I have noticed that relatives that were warm and friendly to us in the 1980s and 90s are now kind of cold and distant as though they just wanna mind their own business. I don't know why that is. Maybe just apathy. Why the mass change? This just goes to show that these relatives were never your true friends, just acquaintances.