Question about baby vaccines: Pediatric vs Barangay clinic

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Winston
Site Admin

Question about baby vaccines: Pediatric vs Barangay clinic

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
Our next baby vaccine costs 2500p at the pediatric clinic in a hospital here in Angeles City called AMC. The shot is a three in one. According to our baby book, the shot is listed as DTA/IPV/HIB (sorry I don't know what those letters stand for).

The thing is, I think most people here get their shots for free or nothing at the Barangay clinics. Some guys on these Yahoo groups said they did too. And again, I can't imagine people who always claim to be poor and make only 150p or 200p a day could afford expensive monthly vaccines. No way jose.

So I'm wondering, if they are little or nothing at Barangay clinics, then are the high prices for vaccines at the pediatric clinics worth it? What is the real difference exactly?

My girlfriend said she doesn't trust the Barangay clinics. However, she has all her shots there when she was a baby, and is still alive, along with millions of other children in the Philippines, right?

So is it necessary to pay more at private hospital clinics? My girlfriend said the clinic is safer and more trustworthy. But is that all in her mind? Is it psychological? Or does she have legitimate reasons for feeling this way?

I have asked around among my Filipino friends. They either didn't know, or said they got their vaccinations at Barangay clinics too, or just said "It's up to you whether you want to pay or not" which is typical Filipino vagueness of course.

Earlier today I went to my girlfriend's ob-gyne (pregnancy doctor) to ask her opinion about this. I wanted her opinion since she spoke good English and is educated. She told me that the Barangay clinic offers some of the common shots, but not all of them, and they are not free. She said that a 1600p shot at the clinic costs 800p at the Barangay clinic, for example.

I told her that some expats on the yahoo group lists that I participate on said they got baby vaccinations for free at barangay clinics. She told me she never heard of that and that that's not true. (So who do I believe? Expats on yahoo groups, or a doctor I know here whom I respect somewhat?)

Anyhow, she didn't tell me which shots were offered at barangay clinics and which weren't. And the nurse at the clinic looked at me like I was strange for probing for information, as though investigation to find the truth of the matter was abnormal in this society. It felt like the Twilight Zone again, if you ask me. I hate it when I ask or do something totally logical and necessary and gets to the bottom of everything, and people here act as though it were strange or abnormal. WTF?

Anyway, so what's the verdict regarding expensive vaccine shots at the clinic vs. for free or nothing at the barangay clinic? What are the pros and cons of each? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Winston
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Does this answer make sense?

http://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/quest ... 254AA0gfjd

If you go to a private pediatrician, immunization costs a bit more than when you go to centers or one funded by the government. The price may differ in each vaccination, depending on what kind. Anyway, I find it more safer and reassuring to have my grandchildren go to private pediatricians because they don't get sick after each vaccination. I think this is what makes a big difference because babies who got immunized in health centers experienced fever after the shots.

I don't know the reason/s why your doctor's patients (Americans) never went back to her. It may be they have transferred to another location or whatever. The important thing is you trust your doctor. If you don't feel comfortable with her taking and looking after your baby's welfare, then you have the option to seek another pediatrician.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne