What does everyone have to say about Hawaii?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
hornyabc
Freshman Poster

What does everyone have to say about Hawaii?

Post by hornyabc »

I'm going to visit Hawaii for the first time next week. It's always seemed nice from all the pictures and things you hear about it. Guess I'll find out next week...
starkeep
Freshman Poster

Post by starkeep »

8) I have been there yrs ago and can see outragious rents charged there compared to foreign countries. Plus i think overall pretty pricey. But the weather is good and tropical and good beaches. The 2nd language thee is japanese.
fed up
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

It's overrated and if your white the locals won't like you very much for the most part... That's why mostly Asians decide to live there and only a smaller minority of other cultures and races. There is talk of separating from the USA in the future. I doubt the American government would allow it but as cultural nationalism gains more ground over the coming generations it could spark some confrontations someday...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Never been there but this is what I have gathered:

White people are not liked by the locals, mixed couples have been attacked from what I have heard. White kids have been chased by locals down the streets on the way to school. They have a "Hate Whitey" or "Kill Whitey" day in HI. I knew a Jewish guy who had moved to the Philippines from there- says "we ( whites- Jews are white there) are the n----rs there".

Is this what Jews get after the Holocaust? They were killed in Europe because they were not white and now they are
Haolis in HI? How much more brutal can things get?

Of course, if you have a lot of money, it may be better for you. I have also heard another phrase : "women? forget it". The beaches are good, they say, though.

They say it is the most racist state in the Union. The Asian American Racist State.

Do not know how well Asian Americans fare there, though. Must be heaven for them.
Last edited by ladislav on July 27th, 2009, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I have several Asian American (Chinese & Japanese) friends and coworkers from Hawaii. They moved out because of the lack of jobs. One of my ex-GF's moved there, then had to move to Japan to find decent-paying work.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

momopi wrote:I have several Asian American (Chinese & Japanese) friends and coworkers from Hawaii. They moved out because of the lack of jobs. One of my ex-GF's moved there, then had to move to Japan to find decent-paying work.
But once they do make their money, they can go back to HI and do their own thing. White people, in my opinion should stay away either way. There is another cheaper Hawaii- the Philippines. And there is little racism here. Why waste time with Hawaii?
Nighthawk
Freshman Poster

Post by Nighthawk »

I'm a howly living on the island Oahu for the last 3 years and working here for the last 11. Like any place there are good people and bad mostly good. It's expensive here because everyone wants to come here. I bought a house here and my friends says it's expensive but I don't have the heating oil costs in the winter and the high electric in the summer like back in the states. I have a/c but have only turned it on to make sure they work. With the trade winds it's natural a/c. The worst day here is better than the best day back home. I used to live in VA, DE, GA. Haven't heard about racisim any more than is back continental states.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

ladislav wrote:
momopi wrote:I have several Asian American (Chinese & Japanese) friends and coworkers from Hawaii. They moved out because of the lack of jobs. One of my ex-GF's moved there, then had to move to Japan to find decent-paying work.
But once they do make their money, they can go back to HI and do their own thing. White people, in my opinion should stay away either way. There is another cheaper Hawaii- the Philippines. And there is little racism here. Why waste time with Hawaii?
Naw, my ex-GF moved to Tokyo permanently and is now looking for a Japanese citizen to marry. My ex-coworker was recently laid off and she is now looking into early retirement in China. Her husband is a bum and doesn't work, so moving overseas will be financially better off for them.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Nighthawk wrote:I'm a howly living on the island Oahu for the last 3 years and working here for the last 11. Like any place there are good people and bad mostly good. It's expensive here because everyone wants to come here. I bought a house here and my friends says it's expensive but I don't have the heating oil costs in the winter and the high electric in the summer like back in the states. I have a/c but have only turned it on to make sure they work. With the trade winds it's natural a/c. The worst day here is better than the best day back home. I used to live in VA, DE, GA. Haven't heard about racisim any more than is back continental states.
Which goes to show that the world is really a hologram with several holographic plates and some people just live on other plates. This is the only explanation I can think of.
hornyabc
Freshman Poster

Post by hornyabc »

Oh sorry I forgot about this thread. Anyway, I was in Hawaii for a short time... not even a week. Here are some observations though.

Honolulu is the major city and like any other major city that attracts tourists, it's VERY expensive. If you decide to move to Hawaii, you've gotta be farther out where the rest of the locals live. I also visited Maui, and there are the SUPER expensive resorts areas that are almost exclusively white.

If you're Asian you'll fit in very well. I saw A LOT of Japanese tourists, so much so that much of the signage in hotels and stores have Japanese alongside the English. Honolulu has a lot of tourists from everywhere, so I don't think you'll have much problem if you're white if you stay in the major areas like Waikiki beach. Maybe if you wander off to the ghetto areas you might encounter some problems.

Oh and I noticed quite A LOT of Hapas (mixed Asian/white) people, so as far as I saw there doesn't seem to be much issues with mixed/interracial kids. They are HOT by the way! Generally I think mixed people look the best, plus add to that you have the great sun and beaches so you'll get gorgeous looking girls in great shape in bikinis. I haven't been to the Philipines yet, but I imagine it's similar there.

Anyway, unfortunately I was working most of the time I was there so I didn't get to hang out and meet any local girls. These were just quick observations from what little time I had to relax at the beach and walking around town. So I can't comment on their personalities.
All I know is I want to go back and find out! The beaches and the weather are just awesome there!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I can tell you one thing though. Don't go to the Big Island of Hawaii. I was there before going to the Philippines and the people are like ghosts. They don't even make eye contact with you and it feels very inappropriate to chat up any girls. They have this hostile paranoid look to them. As long as you don't talk to them, they are fine, but if you try to socialize with them, they think you're a creep. You're only supposed to socialize with your "clique" in their mentality.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
willymonfrete
Junior Poster

Re: What does everyone have to say about Hawaii?

Post by willymonfrete »

Sucks that it's so racist towards non-asians,even violently so.Hilo has some affordable apartments.

I guess if I want sunny beach tropical weather just move to puerto rico or miami where people look like me lol
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I spent many years on Oahu. The only other of its islands I have been to is Maui, to the airport briefly for transit.

Prices are high. If you want the cheap McDonald's, on the Ewa Beach side of Waikiki (that is west), there is a cheaper McDonald's. The one right on the beach in Diamond head is expensive. That's just a guide to prices. Waikiki can be expensive. It's not the best beach on the island with shallow water, few waves, and part of it has a wall. Right before the Ala Wai canal it's shallow and Rocky. I preferred the next beach over--- Ala Moana. The Ala Wai Canal is usually nasty though, with occasional sewage leaks, so go back a little from there. It probably won't hurt you to swim in the baracaded area of Magic Island, but it is awfully close to the Ala Wai.

I took my mom to the Ilikoi Hotel and Condo Friday night right before the fireworks for their 50's Hawaiian movie show and she loved it. She even got a flower lei. They do that for free. Fireworks on Friday night are free to go watch.... unless this stuff has changed.

The undertow on the North Shore can be powerful. I never went in December to see the huge waves. I was always too busy, even though I wanted to. There is an ice cream places there people go to. Dole pineapple plantation is okay.... something you can do with old people at least. There is a Mormon-run Polynesian cultural center show. The buffet was okay and had non-Mormon beverages like cola. The show was a little duller than I thought-- a storyline illogically spanning multiple islands all about a guy who probably should have lived on just one island, but they kept showing different island's dancing. And the fire stick juggling thing.... they just had a little at the end. It's a bit pricey as I recall, even though we got a discount.

For views, I really like swimming at Hanauma Bay. The used to have a bus there. These days you may have to pay some money to get in and watch a video that tells you not to step on the sea turtles or chase them before they let you in. If you drive past that, north up the mountain, and can manage to get a spot at the lookout there (if you are driving), the view is pretty breathtaking, with the deep blue waves crashing against the rocks. Some people manage to get down there to fish. Back at Hanauma Bay, I don't think they let you go to Toilet Bowl anymore. I never went. I think it was always closed when I went. There is a park at the top of the hill. If you are sneaky you might be able to grab a chicken and hide in the woods to slaughter them. They look kind of domesticated, as far as the breed goes, but I think they are wild. I don't know that that would be legal. Some people hunt deer, so it may be.

I forget the name of the beach that has all the sea life and sea cucumbers, eels and such, but I think it is on the east shore. There is a Sea Life Park around there somewhere on the eastern shore.

Dole Pineapple Plantation has pinapple Icecream, but you can get that at Leonards, a donut shop in Kapahulu, too, not far from the zoo (by car) kind of near the Diamond head side of Waikiki. The zoo is small, but pretty decent with peacocks going all around, and free tamarind.... or at least they don't say anything if you pick it off the trees as far as I know. There is some 'pate china' growing on trees at Hanauma Bay, too if you are the foraging time. They eat that in Indonesia.

Are the people racist? Well, the call whites Ha'uli--- breathless or soulless ones, apparently because they didn't press their foreheads to the Polynesian's and share breath to greet them. There are some people who seem to have some hurt feelings about whites. I never experienced violence but I am not saying it doesn't happen on other islands. Portuguese (or Portege) is another race separate from white there. They seem cool with Portuguese, or part-white. Everyone is a minority, with Hapa--- mixed, being the most common. There are lots of Japanese and Filippinos and of course Hawaiians, which, on Oahu, tend to be mixd. There are also lots of Micronesian immigrants.

There is an independence movement. The US had a treaty with Hawaii, but American families owned plantations in the royal period, got roles in the government, then got a US military official to agree to defend them as they did the coup... like just offer defense, not do the coup.... which is supporting the coup, even though we had a treaty. The president was going to support Hawaii, but a new one was elected who wanted Hawaii as a territory. A lot of native Hawaiians, I hear, did not participate in the elections to turn it into a state. There is a little branch of the government for Hawaiian affairs that is supposed to manage a royal estate donated to benefit local Hawaiians, but they are limited by US discrimination policies in what they can do legally.

The state is annoyingly blue and Democrat.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

MrMan wrote:
September 28th, 2023, 6:11 pm
I spent many years on Oahu. The only other of its islands I have been to is Maui, to the airport briefly for transit.

Prices are high. If you want the cheap McDonald's, on the Ewa Beach side of Waikiki (that is west), there is a cheaper McDonald's. The one right on the beach in Diamond head is expensive. That's just a guide to prices. Waikiki can be expensive. It's not the best beach on the island with shallow water, few waves, and part of it has a wall. Right before the Ala Wai canal it's shallow and Rocky. I preferred the next beach over--- Ala Moana. The Ala Wai Canal is usually nasty though, with occasional sewage leaks, so go back a little from there. It probably won't hurt you to swim in the baracaded area of Magic Island, but it is awfully close to the Ala Wai.

I took my mom to the Ilikoi Hotel and Condo Friday night right before the fireworks for their 50's Hawaiian movie show and she loved it. She even got a flower lei. They do that for free. Fireworks on Friday night are free to go watch.... unless this stuff has changed.

The undertow on the North Shore can be powerful. I never went in December to see the huge waves. I was always too busy, even though I wanted to. There is an ice cream places there people go to. Dole pineapple plantation is okay.... something you can do with old people at least. There is a Mormon-run Polynesian cultural center show. The buffet was okay and had non-Mormon beverages like cola. The show was a little duller than I thought-- a storyline illogically spanning multiple islands all about a guy who probably should have lived on just one island, but they kept showing different island's dancing. And the fire stick juggling thing.... they just had a little at the end. It's a bit pricey as I recall, even though we got a discount.

For views, I really like swimming at Hanauma Bay. The used to have a bus there. These days you may have to pay some money to get in and watch a video that tells you not to step on the sea turtles or chase them before they let you in. If you drive past that, north up the mountain, and can manage to get a spot at the lookout there (if you are driving), the view is pretty breathtaking, with the deep blue waves crashing against the rocks. Some people manage to get down there to fish. Back at Hanauma Bay, I don't think they let you go to Toilet Bowl anymore. I never went. I think it was always closed when I went. There is a park at the top of the hill. If you are sneaky you might be able to grab a chicken and hide in the woods to slaughter them. They look kind of domesticated, as far as the breed goes, but I think they are wild. I don't know that that would be legal. Some people hunt deer, so it may be.

I forget the name of the beach that has all the sea life and sea cucumbers, eels and such, but I think it is on the east shore. There is a Sea Life Park around there somewhere on the eastern shore.

Dole Pineapple Plantation has pinapple Icecream, but you can get that at Leonards, a donut shop in Kapahulu, too, not far from the zoo (by car) kind of near the Diamond head side of Waikiki. The zoo is small, but pretty decent with peacocks going all around, and free tamarind.... or at least they don't say anything if you pick it off the trees as far as I know. There is some 'pate china' growing on trees at Hanauma Bay, too if you are the foraging time. They eat that in Indonesia.

Are the people racist? Well, the call whites Ha'uli--- breathless or soulless ones, apparently because they didn't press their foreheads to the Polynesian's and share breath to greet them. There are some people who seem to have some hurt feelings about whites. I never experienced violence but I am not saying it doesn't happen on other islands. Portuguese (or Portege) is another race separate from white there. They seem cool with Portuguese, or part-white. Everyone is a minority, with Hapa--- mixed, being the most common. There are lots of Japanese and Filippinos and of course Hawaiians, which, on Oahu, tend to be mixd. There are also lots of Micronesian immigrants.

There is an independence movement. The US had a treaty with Hawaii, but American families owned plantations in the royal period, got roles in the government, then got a US military official to agree to defend them as they did the coup... like just offer defense, not do the coup.... which is supporting the coup, even though we had a treaty. The president was going to support Hawaii, but a new one was elected who wanted Hawaii as a territory. A lot of native Hawaiians, I hear, did not participate in the elections to turn it into a state. There is a little branch of the government for Hawaiian affairs that is supposed to manage a royal estate donated to benefit local Hawaiians, but they are limited by US discrimination policies in what they can do legally.

The state is annoyingly blue and Democrat.
All that writing and not a single word about the women in Hawaii. Wow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
WanderingProtagonist
Experienced Poster

Post by WanderingProtagonist »

Hawaii is old news, probably wasn't that bad in the 80s. But I can understand why they would want to cut ties with the U.S. if they haven't already. America is such a shitty country due to the fact it wants to mold the entire world into becoming just like itself...I even heard they had forced some diversity shit on Japan.....