Are southern states really friendlier than other parts of the US?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Outcast9428
Experienced Poster

Re: Are southern states really friendlier than other parts of the US?

Post by Outcast9428 »

boixos24 wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 2:48 pm
Outcast9428 wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 12:08 pm

I'd say the best way to describe the south is that it feels more like the US did before the woke/PC politics really took over everything. You still hear lots of people, including white guys, saying faggot or nigga once you get to know them pretty well. Some particularly bold people might even use the hard R version. The way I'd describe most people in the south at this point is that they are liberal but hostile towards wokeness/progressive ideology. You'll also see a lot of open Trump supporters flying flags from their cars or houses. I've seen the confederate flag many times although its not as common to see as it was ten years ago.

The South probably also has more right-wing extremists and genuine traditionalists then the north does. Although I will say they are also uncommon here.
Would you get treated like shit in the south if you were not white? I always thought the south was friendly based on those scenes in Borat
Most of my best friends in life have been asian, hispanic, and arab people. I've also known a couple people from India. None of the people I've talked to have had any problems here. The only thing I've heard of is one guy I kind of know said he got stared at threateningly at a gas station. I don't think that is common at all though.

Yeah I'd say the scenes from Borat are fairly accurate. Like I said, I do think the south is more friendly then the north is.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:
July 13th, 2021, 4:55 pm
So even if she is friendly and interested in talking to you, she doesn't want to hang out, because you're not her type. So I guess the southern friendliness has its limits.
It is unlikely a friendly southern girl will actually date you just to be friendly, either.
Does New Mexico count as the South?
That is 'Southwest' not 'the South.' I'd say the historical south ends at Texas. If you go north of there, some Oklahomans would consider themselves to be Southern, some consider it midwest. Kentucky is the South, and historically, Virginia was. Rural Virginia might rightly be called 'the South.'
Also, would I get racist stares in the South? Would anyone call me a "chink"? I've been called that before in elementary school during the early 80s in California. So racial slurs like that were used in the early 1980s even in CA.
I have never heard someone call someone else 'chink' in the South. My kids are Asian. I've heard or read the term, just haven't heard it used in the South. Rarely have I heard a white call a black the N word, though I've heard black people use it, of course, to refer to each other. I've heard some whites use the term among themselves, especially older ones when I was younger. My girls were a bit concerned about wanting to go to an ethnically diverse school because the white girls hang out together. I don't think they are mean to my mixed kids, but when they went to an ethnically diverse school, they could hang out with Hispanics, and one of them was often mistaken for Hispanic.

I heard some comment on reality TV from people who were not from the South, concerned that a Black man would face racism in a small Southern town. Blacks have been living in the South for hundreds of years. I suppose someone could say something racist or act racist anywhere, but the South is not 'Mississippi Burning' these days. I can strike up friendly conversations with Blacks at a gas pump, or they do with me in the South.

Southerners sometimes say hello to strangers they pass on the street or meet in elevators.
Outcast9428
Experienced Poster

Post by Outcast9428 »

I've never heard anybody say chink in real life. Only on the internet. The most common slur is definitely the N-word because young people think its funny. That's pretty much as far as it goes though.

With Virginia, Northern Virginia is not the south. But I'd say the rest of the state still is. When I go down to North Carolina, the culture there is exactly the same as it is in the areas of Virginia I've lived in. If one was to draw a line anywhere I'd say the area of Northern Virginia is where one ought to draw it because there's a noticeable difference between behavior of everybody from Northern Virginia and up compared to people in the rest of Virginia.
GoingAwol
Junior Poster

Post by GoingAwol »

I hate to break it to you guys, but the South is not really friendly. It's all superficial and fake. I have lived here my whole life. People are not really inclusive at all and it's hard to get to know people and form real friendships. Don't be fooled by all the hellos and handwaving. If you're an outsider you will stay an outsider. And sorry Winston, but it's very unlikely that an Asian guy would succeed with women in the south. Women here like tall masculine white guys.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What do u know about Mississippi? I saw some travel videos about it with things to do there. the state looks very beautiful and scenic with lots of historical architecture like in that movie "Gone with the Wind". Wow. Not ugly strip malls like in the Americans suburbs. The white sands beach there also looks very nice. And it's very green and idyllic too.

The videos also say that Mississippi is a poor state with low cost living too. Wow. Why isn't this mentioned in the mainstream? The small towns there look cozy too. Like the kind of place where everyone knows your name. Like Mayberry. LoL

I would imagine that strangers are open and hospitable and have that old fashioned southern hospitality right?

I'm not saying that the women there would be easy to date of course. But I'm sure strangers there are more likely to talk to you then on west coast america right? They wouldn't ignore u like in the states I lived in right?

The reason I'm interested in Mississippi is because I feel like I've lived there before in another life. It looks super familiar to me and nostalgic of course. Like my blood gets warm when I think about it. Very eerie. I'm wondering if I went there if I would have any flashbacks or awaken any memories. Lol

But the cost of living is lower there right. I saw houses there for 100,000 dollars. And the towns look green and idyllic. The houses have front porches. Isn't it friendlier than west coast?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
yick
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by yick »

If you want to go to somewhere low cost where people say hello to you on the street - including women - go to Mexico!
WanderingProtagonist
Experienced Poster

Post by WanderingProtagonist »

Winston wrote:
November 11th, 2023, 11:08 pm
What do u know about Mississippi? I saw some travel videos about it with things to do there. the state looks very beautiful and scenic with lots of historical architecture like in that movie "Gone with the Wind". Wow. Not ugly strip malls like in the Americans suburbs. The white sands beach there also looks very nice. And it's very green and idyllic too.

The videos also say that Mississippi is a poor state with low cost living too. Wow. Why isn't this mentioned in the mainstream? The small towns there look cozy too. Like the kind of place where everyone knows your name. Like Mayberry. LoL

I would imagine that strangers are open and hospitable and have that old fashioned southern hospitality right?

I'm not saying that the women there would be easy to date of course. But I'm sure strangers there are more likely to talk to you then on west coast america right? They wouldn't ignore u like in the states I lived in right?

The reason I'm interested in Mississippi is because I feel like I've lived there before in another life. It looks super familiar to me and nostalgic of course. Like my blood gets warm when I think about it. Very eerie. I'm wondering if I went there if I would have any flashbacks or awaken any memories. Lol

But the cost of living is lower there right. I saw houses there for 100,000 dollars. And the towns look green and idyllic. The houses have front porches. Isn't it friendlier than west coast?
I only heard that Jackson was kind of nice looking. But I believe the South is overrated as far as "friendly" goes. I can't do Southern states, hell I can barely stand the West Coast anymore due to how far gone it is...I feel like too much of the Western world is looking shittier, and shittier but then its all on purpose. The best states in the U.S. are all destroyed. Southern States are poor like Alabama and what not but the West coast don't look all that great anymore either.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow check out this video about the best small towns to live in Mississippi. The towns it shows look cozy and quiet and scenic and idyllic, the kind of town where everyone knows your name and everyone goes to church, a reminder of the good old days. lol. The cost of living is lower there too and houses are cheaper than in other parts of America. How come MS isn't a popular tourist destination? It looks very lovely and green like England.

Some travel videos of Mississippi below. Wow it looks very green and scenic, and has mansions there that look like they're from "Gone with the Wind" and lots of museums and Civil War historical sites too. There's also a nice quiet beach with white sands too. Very nice. How come none of you talk about it? I'm pretty sure that people there are friendlier than in CA or WA or Las Vegas right? Even if it's superficial, it's not like everyone ignores you and everyone is super cliquish like CA is right?

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Winston wrote:
November 11th, 2023, 11:08 pm

@Winston You simply have no clue about the South at all. For the following reasons:

1. It's not a relaxed, dreamy place that the old time movies make it out to be.
2. The population is MS is white people and black people. Why would Asians want to live there?
3. Mississippi is full of rednecks who drive big trucks and they all carry guns on them.
4. Hate to say it but at your age, dating prospects are zero in Mississippi. It's just as hard for the locals there, but because you're asian it will be 100x harder.
5. It's boring as shit.
6. I'm from the South. I've seen your writing about sensing the vibe and energy of different places. I can literally tell you the vibe and energy in Mississippi is an empty void where sitting alone in your home will cause you to die of boredom.

I will say this though. If you can talk to some locals there about your theories about America in a real down to earth way, you may be able to make friends there. After all, you did make friends with me and @GoingAwol and we're both from the South.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

But @kangarunner. i tend to get along well with rednecks, as long as they are intellectual. They respect freethinkers and truth seekers. Like you for example. I've had redneck friends in CA and WA. They love authenticity. Of course these are nice intellectual redneck types. If I met some lower IQ types, then who knows. It's not all about looks though. It's about RESONANCE too. If you are on the same wavelength as people, they will accept you even if you look different. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Either way I'm sure Southerners are friendlier than in CA or WA or Vegas where everyone ignores you and treats you like you don't exist. Also I feel like I was a Southerner too in a past life, remember? Why do you ignore that? If I am right then my soul may resonate there. I've never felt at home in West Coast USA.

I didn't say I was gonna move to the Deep South, but I can always visit there to see what impressions I get or if I have any past life flashbacks. Many places are not nice to live but good to visit as a tourist. Besides, look at the videos above, MS looks very beautiful and scenic and idyllic, like England. The beach looks beautiful too.

I posted many documentaries on reincarnation before remember? Some even go back to 1977. They contain a lot of compelling evidence and case studies. Look up Dr. Ian Stevenson and Dr. Jim Tucker. The University of Virginia has a whole department about reincarnation studies. So it is credible now. 30 percent of Americans believe in reincarnation now too, including Christians and Catholics, that's a lot of people. Why do you and most guys here never take this into account?

Regardless, I'm sure strangers talk to you in the South, even if it's superficial. I'm sure I could meet some guys like you there that would be friendly too that are open to having a beer or something. I'm sure there are freethinkers there too. Right?

Btw wouldn't being Asian make me a novelty there? If so I may get attention from curious people.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

When I imagine the idyllic Southern town, I imagine the song by Glenn Campbell called "Southern Nights" playing in the background. And lemonade stands everywhere. And grandmas on front porches saying "Would y'all care to try some homemade apple pie? We make them with an old family recipe going back to 1871. Ain't no one make em like we do." LoL

I also imagine old fashioned carnivals in the background with ferris wheels, cotton candy, and caramel apples. Lol

And southern belles in white dresses walking around with Christian values, saying "why gosh. I'd never use a man. My mama always taught me right from wrong." LoL

And I imagine everyone in town knowing daven and dusty by their first name. LoL

That's my romanticized fantasy of what the iconic southern town is like. Wow. (Dreamy gaze) lol. Isn't that so idyllic and romantic and nostalgic? LoL. Isn't it so accurate too? LoL.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Winston wrote:
November 23rd, 2023, 12:33 pm
When I imagine the idyllic Southern town, I imagine the song by Glenn Campbell called "Southern Nights" playing in the background. And lemonade stands everywhere. And grandmas on front porches saying "Would y'all care to try some homemade apple pie? We make them with an old family recipe going back to 1871. Ain't no one make em like we do." LoL

I also imagine old fashioned carnivals in the background with ferris wheels, cotton candy, and caramel apples. Lol

And southern belles in white dresses walking around with Christian values, saying "why gosh. I'd never use a man. My mama always taught me right from wrong." LoL

And I imagine everyone in town knowing daven and dusty by their first name. LoL

That's my romanticized fantasy of what the iconic southern town is like. Wow. (Dreamy gaze) lol. Isn't that so idyllic and romantic and nostalgic? LoL. Isn't it so accurate too? LoL.
@Pixel--Dude @Winston I quoted the entire message above to show that Winston is clearly trolling here to anger me. I'm in contact with him on WhatsApp and I've told him over 20 times that I HATE when he talks about how fond he is of the South. First, he's never been there in his life OR lived there.

I've made it very, very clear in WhatsApp DM's with Winston that it enrages me when he brings up the South or how he thinks it's this idyllic place where everyone is nice. He keeps bring this shit up and I feel nauseated just reading that post he made above.

No one on this forum has lived in the South. I'm the only one who was born there and I can assure you that people in the South are just as shitty as everywhere else. I f***ing hate it when he writes anything good about the South. It's not a nice place to live at all. I'm so drained reading what he wrote that I'm gonna have to take a break after writing this reply.

Winston made another post recently talking about how there's nothing in America and he brought up baseball/football games, guns. 2 things that are very popular with Southerners. Most Southerners are just run of the mill, average people. Most women in the South are fat and boring.

@Pixel--Dude Winston put "LoL" in his post above 6 times. 6 times! It's a possiblity that Winston may be behind the Mercer account. He's clearly trolling here.

kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

I hope the South dies. It's boring as shit. The culture is not lively, vibrant, and eclectic like other parts of the world I've been to. There's nothing to do but sit around at your home, or go to your shitty job. I can assure you that boredom will cause you to die or develop bad habits because life in the South truly is a time suck.

WanderingProtagonist
Experienced Poster

Post by WanderingProtagonist »

kangarunner wrote:
November 23rd, 2023, 11:41 pm
I hope the South dies. It's boring as shit. The culture is not lively, vibrant, and eclectic like other parts of the world I've been to. There's nothing to do but sit around at your home, or go to your shitty job. I can assure you that boredom will cause you to die or develop bad habits because life in the South truly is a time suck.
To be fair it's like that everywhere in America if we're talking about the South in the U.S. I live on the West Coast, and California isn't fun either. There's nothing to do or see other than neighborhoods full of homeless people, closed down stores, and crime everywhere. I think the West in general has lost its way and is now a boring declining part of the world. I also can't help but feel that people in the West enjoy all this self abuse shit too much. That's why no one is even trying to make any effort to return things back to the way it was before. We had a good thing going in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and early 2000s now it's all f***ed up because of American politics is garbage. The wars of those times were still bad and problematic, but none of it compares to where we are today.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

WanderingProtagonist wrote:
November 23rd, 2023, 11:52 pm
To be fair it's like that everywhere in America if we're talking about the South in the U.S. I live on the West Coast, and California isn't fun either.
Not true at all. I lived in Vegas for 2 years from 2014-2016 and the Western area of the US has a completely different vibe and energy and soul than the South. You think it's bad in California, trust me the boredom of the South will make your life a slow, ongoing misery.

California has a cool factor. I think they even created the word "cool" there. Tons of creative talent and energy in Cali. You guys got nice, sunny weather year round. Nature, hiking, parks, beaches. And the people who live there are more interesting than people from the South.

Oh and the good Mexican food.

You guys have tons better shit to do in California.