California High Speed Rail is a go

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

California High Speed Rail is a go

Post by momopi »

http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/12/01/218 ... =mirelated

I can't say how long this project will take, but would recommend looking at the cities along its route and plan your RE investments accordingly.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: California High Speed Rail is a go

Post by Winston »

What happened? Have they started construction on the high speed rail in California yet? Will it be like the BART system in the Bay Area? That was nice but it wasn't exactly high speed, but it was still fairly fast. But the seats were often dirty and stained. Not classy.

Explanations for why the US doesn't have high speed rail like other industrialized countries do.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

Winston wrote:
May 31st, 2020, 2:54 pm
What happened? Have they started construction on the high speed rail in California yet? Will it be like the BART system in the Bay Area? That was nice but it wasn't exactly high speed, but it was still fairly fast. But the seats were often dirty and stained. Not classy.
It was canceled. Scratched.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

Any money spent on high speed rail is total waste in the US. There's way too much politics, too many NIMBY's, environmental regulations, airline lobbyists, and just flat out incompetence. And because the US isn't that dense there are really only a few routes that would make sense economically and wouldn't result in catastrophic financial losses.

Years ago when I lived in Chicago there were rumbling about a Chicago-Minneapolis and Chicago-Detroit high speed rail line but last I checked that project was nowhere near getting started. No idea where it stands today.

At this point any dollar destined for high speed rail should just be used towards modernizing and expanding our airports, improving air traffic control, biofuel research, and so on. We're just not made for high speed rail.
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

CannedHam wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 8:31 am
Any money spent on high speed rail is total waste in the US. There's way too much politics, too many NIMBY's, environmental regulations, airline lobbyists, and just flat out incompetence. And because the US isn't that dense there are really only a few routes that would make sense economically and wouldn't result in catastrophic financial losses.

Years ago when I lived in Chicago there were rumbling about a Chicago-Minneapolis and Chicago-Detroit high speed rail line but last I checked that project was nowhere near getting started. No idea where it stands today.

At this point any dollar destined for high speed rail should just be used towards modernizing and expanding our airports, improving air traffic control, biofuel research, and so on. We're just not made for high speed rail.
...and that's sad that America is not built for high-speed rail. Did you know that the USA used to have the BEST public transportation in the world?? Like 24/7/365 public transportation that was cheap and reliable.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 4:46 pm
...and that's sad that America is not built for high-speed rail. Did you know that the USA used to have the BEST public transportation in the world?? Like 24/7/365 public transportation that was cheap and reliable.
Back when America was 90+% white.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 4:46 pm
CannedHam wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 8:31 am

And the city with the world's very best public transportation was Los Angeles, for decades now the epitome of a dystopian freeway hell. My father took the train from New Orleans to LA for the 1933 Rose Bowl, and said the place was heaven on earth back then.

Corny, I'm afraid it was corrupt white men who sold out US public transportation on behalf of the automobile, tire and highway industries.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:
June 3rd, 2020, 6:30 pm
Corny, I'm afraid it was corrupt white men who sold out US public transportation on behalf of the automobile, tire and highway industries.
That's part of the problem, but nothing can ever be done about it with a non-segregated black population, since efficient public transport would allow the riots that are happening now to be an every day occurrence. Blacks and nice things are simply incompatible.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

They have been talking about building a high speed rail throughout all the major cities in the US for decades now.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."