Escape From Davao

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.
Kapinga626
Freshman Poster

Escape From Davao

Post by Kapinga626 »

John D. Lukacs

" The Forgotten story of the most daring prison break of the Pacific war " .

On April 4 , 1943 , ten American prisoners of war , and two Filipino convicts executed a daring escape from Davao penal colony. The prisoners were survivors of the Bataan death march and the fall of Corregidor , and the prison from which they escaped was surrounded by impenetrable swamp and reputedly escape proof. The only succesful group escape from a Japanese POW camp during the war .

After the escape , the Americans intended to get to Australia , but first they linked up with resistance fighters , and did hit & run attacks on the Japanese all across Mindanao.

This was a great read
" I rang'd the world , I cross'd the seas,
in hopes my restless breast to ease,
By pleasures yet unknown :

To all amusements I have run ,
that's found beneath the daily sun;
Till weary I have grown . "

- Samuel Patterson a poor , lowly sailor circa 1800's

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: Escape From Davao

Post by OutWest »

Kapinga626 wrote:John D. Lukacs

" The Forgotten story of the most daring prison break of the Pacific war " .

On April 4 , 1943 , ten American prisoners of war , and two Filipino convicts executed a daring escape from Davao penal colony. The prisoners were survivors of the Bataan death march and the fall of Corregidor , and the prison from which they escaped was surrounded by impenetrable swamp and reputedly escape proof. The only succesful group escape from a Japanese POW camp during the war .

After the escape , the Americans intended to get to Australia , but first they linked up with resistance fighters , and did hit & run attacks on the Japanese all across Mindanao.

This was a great read
Along this line, one might catch the movie or better yet, the book, called The Great Raid.
It was one of the amazing operations of WWII in the Philippines, rescuing hundreds of American POWs
just days before the Japanese intended to burn them alive with gasoline, as they had already done
to POWs in other locations.

Outwest