C S Lewis lectures

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

C S Lewis lectures

Post by Cornfed »

This Youtube channel contains narrated essays and lectures written by C S Lewis in the 40s. They are excerps from a book for sale on Amazon. I have disagreements with some of what he said, but in general the words of an educated Englishman from that time as read by someone with a similar accent are so superior to anything you are likely to find now as to seemingly come from a separate, more advanced species. @Winston might like to listen to some of his explanations of Christianity.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJsucJ ... VNA/videos

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: C S Lewis lectures

Post by gsjackson »

You won't believe this, but he was on the cover of Time Magazine, circa 1949. Utterly inconceivable today, though I guess physical magazines themselves are becoming inconceivable as well. They were a big deal back then, and I mean literally -- weekly news magazines like Time could run as much as 250 pages. They had actual news, from all over the world. They actually paid foreign correspondents to go hither and yon.

Lewis was rediscovered by the American evangelical movement in the '70s, which was a reaction against the cultural dislocation of the '60s, and of course he always had a separate following for the Narnia childrens' stories. He was the go-to apologist for evangelicals of an intellectual bent. They also seemed to like Francis Schaeffer, an American, who never struck me as in the league of Lewis and Chesterton as an intellect or writer.

I don't know whether to pity or envy those not old enough to remember when the West was not just fit for human habitation, but for literacy and thought as well. Which is just about everybody now.