Winston, fix your server

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Winston, fix your server

Post by zboy1 »

The last few months, it's been a pain trying to access your site. Why is it always so slow and unresponsive? I know you mentioned the GoDaddy servers were slow, so why not change to another company? Is that possible? Just trying to let you know other people have emailed me with the same complaints.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I've been badgering Godaddy about it, but they always try to deny it when their servers are down. It's really annoying. I don't know why they are such assholes. You have to harass them many times before they will have their techs look into a problem. It's ridiculous. They always try to pass the blame on your website coding.

Or maybe we are the victim of some cyber attack?

Here are some emails I sent Godaddy after they would not cooperate:

---------------------------------------

It's not my htaccess file. If it was, then only one of my forums would go down. But BOTH of them were crashing. On both domains my forums were crashing due to your SQL server errors.

index.php

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/forum/index.php

No do not disable my htaccess file. I need that to function. It is fine and works fine.

Stop trying to pass the blame. Geez. I told you to tell your technicians to diagnose your SQL server. The problem isn't my account. It's with your SQL server! Geez!

------------------------------------------

My forum is down again! Here is the error message:

Could not get main information for similar topics

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 2006 MySQL server has gone away

SELECT topic_id FROM phpbb_topics WHERE topic_id != 6437 AND MATCH (topic_title) AGAINST ('Hooters Now in the Philippines') ORDER BY topic_time DESC LIMIT 0,5

Line : 440
File : viewtopic.php

How many times do I have to tell you? TELL YOUR TECHS TO FIX THE SQL SERVER!!! BOTH MY FORUMS ARE DOWN!!! THE PROBLEM IS ON YOUR END!!! STOP DENYING IT EVERYTIME THIS HAPPENS! SHEESH!

--------------------------------------------

It was working fine earlier! So the problem is NOT ON MY END! STOP TRYING TO SAY THAT IT IS! IT ISN'T!

This is really pissing me off. If your servers go down, it is your responsibility to fix it! Not to try to pass the blame to me! Both my forum servers are going down. I did not change any of my htaccess files. The problem is on YOUR end!

Stop lying and telling me that the problem is in my code! I'm sick and tired of it!!!!!!!!! STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told you many times already, TELL YOUR ENGINEERS TO FIX YOUR SQL SERVERS! DO IT!!!! DO IT!!!!!!

Here is the error code my forum keeps producing. It was NOT producing this error code earlier! PROBLEM IS ON YOUR END!!!!!!!!!!!! FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Failed obtaining forum access control lists

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 2006 MySQL server has gone away

SELECT a.forum_id, a.auth_view, a.auth_read, a.auth_post, a.auth_reply, a.auth_edit, a.auth_delete, a.auth_sticky, a.auth_announce, a.auth_vote, a.auth_pollcreate, a.auth_mod FROM phpbb_auth_access a, phpbb_user_group ug WHERE ug.user_id = 2 AND ug.user_pending = 0 AND a.group_id = ug.group_id AND a.forum_id = 1

Line : 156
File : auth.php

-------------------------------------

For the 10th time, tell your tech people to investigate your SQL server crashes. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Just do it! I'm tired of asking the same thing over and over again. It's like you people have no common sense or want to avoid responsibility for everything. Terrible.

Let me repeat it 10 more times:

For the 10th time, tell your tech people to investigate your SQL server crashes.
For the 10th time, tell your tech people to investigate your SQL server crashes.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

They finally agreed to have tech support review my site:
Due to its complex nature, your issue has been relayed to our Advanced Technical Support Team. Our most skilled technicians will be working to resolve your issue quickly and completely. You will be notified promptly upon resolution.

This is your Incident ID: 16774069

To thank you for your patience, we'd like you to enjoy 20%* off your order of $100 or more at GoDaddy.com. Simply use source code gdbba685 when you order or mention the code when you call (480) 505-8877.

Thanks,
GoDaddy.com
Last edited by Winston on November 7th, 2012, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

The server seems to go down usually at about 1pm EST to 3pm EST. Is that when it usually goes down for you too?

zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Winston wrote:The server seems to go down usually at about 1pm EST to 3pm EST. Is that when it usually goes down for you too?
From around noon to 9 PM usually.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Glad c this is being addressed
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

InMotion Hosting has always been good to me. They have great tech support, their cheapest plan isn't cheap but not expensive and their software is easy to use. Not only that, I've NEVER had a problem with their web hositng. I think you should switch to them if you want to anyway. :)
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Have you got a dedicated server or are you on shared hosting?

Half my sites are on GoDaddy, half on Hostgator. Hostgator is pretty nice for MySQL/PHP. GoDaddy was useless for WordPress on Windows, though my own sites are nice and fast on GoDaddy (more to do with my code than anything else).

Also you should cut out the poorest performing ads as they make your site really slow to load sometimes - they're really not worth having on there if they only make $10 a month.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

xiongmao wrote:Have you got a dedicated server or are you on shared hosting?

Half my sites are on GoDaddy, half on Hostgator. Hostgator is pretty nice for MySQL/PHP. GoDaddy was useless for WordPress on Windows, though my own sites are nice and fast on GoDaddy (more to do with my code than anything else).

Also you should cut out the poorest performing ads as they make your site really slow to load sometimes - they're really not worth having on there if they only make $10 a month.
I don't know what a dedicated server or shared hosting is. I just have a deluxe account.

You can upload the wordpress software on Godaddy. Just don't use the Godaddy admin panel to do it, because it will tell you that it's not compatible. I don't know why. It doesn't give you a reason.

My ads are rotated in the same space. None of them are making $10 a month.

How do you transfer your website to another webhost, such as Bluehost? Is the process automated or does it take a lot of tedious work?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Godaddy says their tech support is now reviewing the problem.
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Upon review of the account this issue appears to have already been escalated for further review. I have looked into the escalation and they are still investigating this matter. We will contact you once the issue has been resolved. We appreciate your patience while we look further into this matter for you.

Let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Regards,
Matthew T.
Online Support Team
In my Google Webmaster Tools, I also got a message about this site having an outage in the UK. I don't know what the UK has to do with this though. I forwarded the message to Godaddy as well.
http://www.happierabroad.com/: Possible outagesNovember 2, 2012

Dear owner or webmaster of http://www.happierabroad.com/

While crawling your site, we have noticed an increase in the number of transient soft 404 errors around 2012-11-02 11:00 UTC (London, Dublin, Edinburgh). Your site may have experienced outages. These issues may have been resolved. Here are some sample pages that resulted in soft 404 errors:

viewtopic.php?t=8697&start=15&sid=fce56 ... 387e35e8bc
viewtopic.php?t=11297&start=15&sid=b916 ... 75c141892c
viewtopic.php?t=12657
viewtopic.php?t=11814&postdays=0&postor ... 609a015aca
viewtopic.php?t=16121

For more information, see our Help Center:
Soft 404 errors
Does this mean that the hacker is in the UK? What does the above report mean?

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I've heard Bluehost is pretty good server to use, especially for affiliate marketing. GoDaddy sucks and will continuously have various issues due to their size as well as incompetence. Just because they are the cheapest it doesn't mean you should use them. You get what you pay for a lot of times. BTW, I notice your site goes down a lot too here in PI as well.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I contacted Bluehost about switching. I asked these questions:

"Dear Bluehost,
I have a few questions.

1. My site is hosted by Godaddy. If I were to transfer my site and hosting to Bluehost, how would that work? Is the process easy and automated? Or tedious?

2. How can you be offering $4.95 a month? That's lower than Godaddy's price. What's the catch? Sounds too good to be true.

3. What kind of account would I need to run a forum? I need a Linux account to run a forum right? What kind of plan would that involve? How much per month?

4. Do your terms of use allow controversial sites dealing with taboo subjects?

Thanks,
Winston"

Here are their answers:

"1. Our Tech support would be able to give you the instructions to move the website here. Depending on how much experience you have the process can be tedious or very easy.
2. We hand build our servers in house which allows us to give great rates for what we do, which is hosting. Godaddy primarily is a domain registration company we are a hosting company.
3. You would be able to run a forum on our basic account.
4. The only thing to be weary of with our Terms of Service is that we do not allow Adult content on our servers. https://www.bluehost.com/cgi/terms you can see our terms there.

May I know your domain name, in case you decide to host with us, to show I helped you today.

We have two plans, The Pro Package and the Basic Hosting package. The Basic package includes:

Unlimited Domain Hosting
Unlimited GB Hosting Space
Unlimited GB File Transfer
Unlimited E-mail Accounts
Free Domain
Free Site Builder w/ templates
Secure Shell, SSL, FTP, Stats
CGI, Ruby (RoR), Perl, PHP, MySQL
$100 Free Google Credit
24/7 Live Tech Tech Support

There are no hidden fees, but you do pay up front for the term you select. We have 3 terms: 12, 24, or 36 months. Here is the pricing structure for those terms:

1 year = $83.40 ($6.95 per month = 30% discount)
2 years = $142.80 ($5.95 per month = 40% discount)
3 years = $178.20 ($4.95 per month = 50% discount)

All of our hosting accounts are pre-paid upfront. Just so you feel comfortable with the decision to host with us there is no contract, we offer a 30 day full money back guarantee, and you can cancel anytime after 30 days for a pro-rated refund. There are no set up or cancellation fees of any kind!

The Pro Plan includes all of the standard hosting features plus the following:

More CPU, memory and resources
SiteBackup Pro
Free Dedicated IP address
Free SSL Certificate
Free domain name
Free domain privacy
Free Postini Anti-Spam Accounts (10)
2000 Max Emails/Hour (up from 750)
30 mbps bandwidth speed (up from 15mbps)

There are 80% less users on the Pro Plan servers and thus allow for more resource allocation which will effect processing power. We are offering 20% off of the base rate of $24.95. 1 year at $19.95 a month (all hosting is prepaid and due upon sign-up) would be $239.40.

Thank you,
Manny
Sales Representative
BlueHost.com

Most questions can be answered by articles in our forum, knowledgebase, and video tutorials:

Forum: http://www.bluehostforum.com
Knowledgebase: https://www.bluehost.com/cgi/help
Tutorials: http://www.bluehost.com/tutorials/
Server Status: http://serverstatus.bluehost.com/

What's New at Bluehost? Weebly Site Builder! Included Free at: https://my.bluehost.com/cgi/weebly/

When you have a new question or issue, please open a new support ticket."

----------------------------------------

Well I'm not so sure that's a good idea. For one, it sounds like it would be tedious to move this site over to their webhost, since I have no experience with it. Also, they don't allow adult content which means I can't at a future point in time decide to allow adult content here. That's a bit restrictive.

Xiongmao, what are Hostgator's policies on adult content? How reliable is their server?

xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Hostgator allow adult content.

I had a bit of outage on Hostgator, but nothing like as much as with GoDaddy.

The control panel on Hostgator is wonderful, but GoDaddy are better for handling domain registrations.

My domains are registered with GoDaddy, but I host the PHP ones at Hostgator, the ASP.NET ones on GoDaddy.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I think depending on what you want to do if you are selling stuff or working with affiliates with non-adult stuff then bluehost is pretty good. If you want to work with adult content in the future then you should choose a separate domain/hosting site for that. I've used bluehost before and they re pretty good and easy to use, reliable.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
noog
Freshman Poster

Post by noog »

Winston, as a web developer who has 5+ years experience in commercial web development for businesses and non-profit companies, I assure to you that GoDaddy is definitely one of the worst web hosting companies in the world. At a previous job, I was involved in moving some of our remaining customers' email accounts and web hosting from GoDaddy to another virtual server. GoDaddy customer support will give you the run around and they make many simple Unix, PHP and MySQL tasks extremely difficult. In addition, their hosting services are unstable and they make it exceedingly hard to manage your web site and configure/setup your MySQL servers.

You can continue to register/renew your domain names with GoDaddy (that is the one thing they are good at and have some of the cheapest rates for that) but point your name servers to a different hosting company. I had great experience with RackSpace on the job as they have very good customer service and many hosting options. Amazon web hosting is also a viable solution and there are many big companies that use it.

PM me if you have any questions.
"Take a bold and unconventional action, then you'll find out who your friends are."

"Trying to find good American women is like trying to ice skate in a volcano."