Upgrade forum software?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Upgrade forum software?

Post by eurobrat »

Hey Winston,

Can you upgrade the forum software? Seems so outdated.

thanks
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Upgrade forum software?

Post by Jester »

eurobrat wrote:Hey Winston,

thanks
Eurobrat what company's software do you suggest?
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster

Post by Paloaltoguy »

:!:
Last edited by Paloaltoguy on July 23rd, 2014, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Jester wrote:

thanks
He's saying that I should upgrade the version of this forum from phpbb2 to phpbb3. We've been over this many times. New is not always better. Maybe we should start a poll about this.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Winston wrote:
Jester wrote:

thanks
He's saying that I should upgrade the version of this forum from phpbb2 to phpbb3. We've been over this many times. New is not always better. Maybe we should start a poll about this.
It would be really cool to add a live chat function. This is something me and other members have come to an agreement on. Also it's not that hard to upgrade the software, would take you an hour at most.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

eurobrat wrote:
Winston wrote:
Jester wrote:

thanks
It would be really cool to add a live chat function. This is something me and other members have come to an agreement on. Also it's not that hard to upgrade the software, would take you an hour at most.
How do you know how long it would take? Do you run a phpbb forum too?

It's not that simple. I would not just have to upgrade it. I'd also have to put in all the ad codes, bells and whistles (mods and hacks), test it, etc. Yeah I'll put the live chat thing on the list. I hope it doesn't slow the forum down though. I'll do a poll about it. But right now I'm trying to migrate this forum over to our new server on Bluehost, which I've been putting off for two months cause it's a big step that's tedious. So I gotta do that first. That's the main priority. I also have lots of updates to do on this site.

Plus, I get tired easily and can't sit for too long since I have ADD and get drowsy and restless easily if I sit too long. So I'm kind of overwhelmed and impaired here. I wish I had a team of people to do all this. But I don't. Also, when you are at home, you get lazy and want to lay down on the bed a lot, or watch movies on the couch, and eat snacks, which makes you even more soft, plump and lazy, resulting in a vicious cycle. Also, my mind gets distracted easily and wanders and daydreams a lot. I have a hard time concentrating. So you see, a lot of things are against me. Nothing is as simple as you think. :p
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Eurobrat,
Why do you want to upgrade to phpbb3?

Look at the themes there. They don't look that great.

https://www.phpbb.com/styles/demo/3.0/

Btw, we already have polls about upgrading the forum. See two of them below:

viewtopic.php?t=18586
viewtopic.php?t=4302

As you can see, the results are mixed. But I will bump them up to have everyone re-vote on them again.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Alright we are going to upgrade the forum to phpbb3. We need to decide on the new theme though. I've created a poll about it here. Please go to the poll below and vote on the theme you prefer. Thanks.

viewtopic.php?t=23710

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Ok, now we just need the chat and we're in business.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Eurobrat,
What if we just add a chat box to the current version of the forum? Would that be enough?

Or do you hate the current theme that badly? lol

What do you think of Artodia Ultra Blue? If we upgraded, that's what we would go with.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... blue/demo/

Btw, one thing you all should know. If we upgraded to phpbb3, the latest 100 topics page would not look as good. It would not show the number of posts in each thread, for instance. Here is what I mean. This is the latest 100 topics in my other forum, which is phpbb3. As you can see, it doesn't look as good as ours.

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/forum/latesttopics.php

Would that be ok with you all?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

How about this: Instead of upgrading the forum to phpbb3, we change the software completely over to MyBB, which is what Rooshv's forum uses?

I started a poll thread on this here:

viewtopic.php?t=24269